1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Jota.

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Luis1967, Aug 31, 2021.

Discuss Jota. in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Looking forward to another European campaign with him.

2. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

I * adore this wee guy. He properly loves this football club.

3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

IT was a goal fit to grace any game, and one that ultimately saw Jota win the PFA Scotland Goal of the Season Award. The Celtic winger is also sure it would have been one that even his mentor, the flamboyant Benfica legend Fernando Chalana, would have been proud of.

Jota’s delicate chip over goalkeeper Jon McLaughlin in Celtic’s 4-0 win over Rangers back in September was honoured this week as the best Premiership strike of the season, a small piece of individual recognition for his contribution to another hugely successful collective campaign for Ange Postecoglou’s champions.

The impudence and confidence it takes to try such a finish at such a crucial juncture of such a critical game stems from the belief that Chalana had in Jota as a young prospect, and the confidence his advice has imbued in him to this day.

The 24-year-old unveiled a tribute on his wrist to the late Chalana after scoring against Kilmarnock last August, and he hopes that he can play a small part in carrying on his legacy by continuing to stick to his ideals on the pitch, and by continuing to do him proud.

“He was definitely someone who believed in me,” Jota said. “Even when I didn’t believe in myself.

“That says a lot of such a quality player because he saw something [in me] and I just stick with his ideas.

“Like, he said to me, ‘son, just be different from everyone else because football is becoming something really not interesting, and the ones who are going to thrive and to be better are the ones who do different stuff and can solve problems when no-one can solve them’.

“So, I just stick with those ideas. Inside the philosophy of the game, of course. And I try to express myself in the best way possible.

“There are always periods during the season that you need to find this creativity and he was someone that shone every time he went on to the pitch doing whatever he was doing because he was just a special player.

“When they showed me his videos, I saw for each time he was already doing some incredible stuff that no-one else was doing.

“This says a lot about what he was as a football player and, on my side, I just try to do my thing and I just want to express myself in the best way possible.

“That’s what I try to do, and I think he will always be proud of that. That is the first point.

“After that, like with the trophies and the success, of course he’s definitely proud and, yeah, I just want to keep on doing my people, my family, my friends proud and these people that have inspired me all over the years.”

Of course, Jota’s current manager must take some of the credit too, with Postecoglou fostering an environment where his creative players can flourish within a framework on the pitch.

“That is something that was clear since day one,” Jota said.

“You need to stick with the structure of the team, but then you will have the creativity to do your own stuff and to be able to express yourself on the pitch.

“It is no different for any player. We all go [out] there and know exactly what we have to do, but then it is all about finding the right passes and the right places to deliver results.

“I’m really happy to win [the award] and I should give some credit to Matt O’Riley because if it was not for his amazing pass, I wouldn’t be able to be in that part of the pitch to score.

“And for all of the effort of the team to be able to put me into these positions, so I am grateful to everyone and happy.”

4. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
  5. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Ange must see how much better he is on the left.

6. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    That's twice against that same left back he's struggled due to the defender being quicker and stronger than him. Isn't the first time I've seen it and it's as you say, he isn't a natural right winger..

Problem is, Ange loves Maeda and we all do to an extent....but we've no real genuine threat on the right....so it's easier to shift Jota over where he's weaker but still probably stronger overall than starting Abada or a Forrest most weeks..

Sign a quality game changing right winger and Jota will be playing as a left winger far more..

JC Anton and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  7. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Tried his heart out but not much came off for him. Been a long season so understandable he's running out of gas. A rest and pre season and he'll be even better next year, providing Ange stops shifting him for Maeda.

BhoyFitz likes this.
  8. Lewis Kerr

Would like to see him beat players more often. When he first joined he was skinning defenders for fun and doing the flicks and tricks to get by them if he couldn't outrun them.

In recent months he's been far safer on the ball. A few step overs and then a pass back or sideways. Can also be a bit loose in possession at times which he needs to work on.

A very good player but his lack of pace has held him back I think. He's actually quicker when running into a pass. It feels like he's played most of the season at RW too, which is criminal really when the likes of Maeda are getting shoe horned in his place.

BhoyFitz likes this.
  9. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    It's more difficult to beat a player when there are three or four marking you tbf.

His goal contributions return this season has been phenomenal.

10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

12. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Unlucky today..

Just offside and then hits the bar with a quality freekick. He should take more of them..

13. Waiting For An Alibi

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Almost scored goal of the season with his volley in the second half.

Blochairnbhoy and McChiellini.. like this.
  14. World Champion

At the railroad bar, about seven o'clock.
    He's the one I'd go for if I was a gay!

15. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    Aye forgot about that one as well. Great shout..

What a goal that would've been :50:

Waiting For An Alibi likes this.
  16. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

17. john2061

I see by some of the spurs fan comments they would take Jota as well and any looking in * hands off our manager and any of our players.

greengrocer likes this.
  18. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Fact Kanes off to utd for cheap with a year left on his contract means any money spent will be to replace him. Anges golden boy has and always will be kyogo. He'll try take him not jota.

19. john2061

Going by the spurs fans they only rate Jota as good enough they think kyogo is too small going up against all the big defender's in the EPL but it's all about opinions and alot of them don't really want Ang as they don't rate the Scottish League and it's Europe that counts most in their eyes .

20. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Surprised if they * rate any our players