1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Not Actually that Crucial a Summer as of August 2023...beginning to now think everything isnt fine!

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Mr Shelby, May 3, 2023.

Discuss Not Actually that Crucial a Summer as of August 2023...beginning to now think everything isnt fine! in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    We only need one player this summer who has to be 100% first choice, and that's for RW, the others can all challenge for a spot over the year.

Some "rebuild"

neilly1987, martin_d and calmac23 like this.
  2. calmac23

I agree that's the only NEED, but we really should be signing a few first-choice players, especially GK and probably LB/CB/MF too.

The only way for us to push on is to be ruthless, but completely agree the whole talk of "rebuilding" and "needing to sign X players" is nonsense.

neilly1987 and martin_d like this.
  3. PaddyJamieson

I think if we're really looking to improve (which is difficult with such a good team) we can realistically look to sign a first choice GK, LB and CM too, to take that spot currently fought for between O'Riley and Mooy. I love Hart and Taylor has been brilliant this season, but those three positions plus RW as you say are ones I think we could and should be looking to improve on if we're going to really go up a level.

4. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

A top central midfielder is absolutely critical.

We are slow and lethargic in the middle of the park. If one of McGregor or Hatate is out or not fully fit then we are *.

Any two of Mooy, O’Riley, and Turnbull in the same midfield and we will get absolutely pummelled in Europe.

5. Foley1888

I think we may see a bit of a midfield overhaul this summer. It wouldn’t surprise me if a good few of those players you mention above go and we bring a couple of players in. We definitely need more mobility in there.

I actually wouldn’t be against us doing that formation city currently use a sort of 3-2-4-1.

We could use CCV, Johnston and a new third player in a three or Starfelt. Play Iwata and McGregor in-front of them then have Hatate and another attacking CM, Jota and another winger and Kyogo up top.

It wouldn’t be that big a switch as we invert our full backs if Johnston goes forward, Iwata falls in to the right side of the back 3.

It would give more solidity and control of the game in transitions and still allow us 5 forward thinking players and two wingers to keep width and stretch the game.

6. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Proper high level central midfielder who is mobile, physical and can defend.

Striker to challenge Kyogo.

LB to replace Bernabei.

GK to replace Hart.

Strengthen those areas and we’ll be capable of giving it a decent go in Europe, imo. defensive midfielder that allows McGregor to advance or play as a double-pivot is the number 1 priority for me.

The Phoenix likes this.
  7. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    I'd sell Oreilly and Abada as the main outs, although there would be others would like to see out too.

Maybe a box to box midfielder who can pop up with goals.

Out wide I'm notnoverly fussed, maybe the boy Ito, I even like the boy Duk from Aberdeen, he's been very impressive, young and fellow Portugese for Jota.

The other is a surprise, we don't need a striker as believe Kyogo and Oh who is still learning will be fine, but as a backup, I'd honestly take a punt with Van Veen for a year or two, classy footballer and offers something completely different. When the time comes to replace Kyogo that's when you spend your dough.

Might need another CB for Welsh. And I'd give Bernie another season or so.

8. Taylor1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Another season or so ?

Bernabei has been given enough chances in the team, and he has shot his bolt. Need to nip this in the bud now, and cut our losses.

The Magnificent 7 likes this.
  9. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Massively disagree here.

Would be looking to bring in a top quality goalkeeper, centre back and left back.

Would like an attacking midfielder who can run to replace O’Riley.

Would also like a right winger to replace Abada.

Danny 4692 and The Magnificent 7 like this.
  10. apevrak

Is O'Reily off?

11. celtic warrior

Tbh it would seem like us fans are manifesting it really.

Abada I think is the one that has got the most media attention for possible moves away

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  12. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    My point was moreso that the RW we bring in will 100% start as Abada is most likely leaving.

Of course we need players to come in and properly challenge other positions, but the CB, LB and other positions we bring in won't be first choice right away, that was my original point.

neilly1987 likes this.
  13. apevrak

Why would fans want a move for a player like O'Reily? I just don't get it. He's only 22, three years left on his deal, current top assister in the league and puts in a lot of work in the attack and defense. He's not far off his full international debut for Denmark either, which will only add on to his future value.

Abada I get as he turned down a new deal and his agent probably working on a transfer this summer. Wouldn't be surprised if there's a release clause involved. Would prefer if he stayed though. He could be a real quality player for us next season.

NakamuraTastic and tarboltontim like this.
  14. celtic warrior

I don't think fans are calling for him to be sold, the some of the fan base seem to think he's likely to get a move alongside Abada.

Think it down to the fact what Ange said about not getting attached to players and because of how we've seen celtic sell certain players in the past, there is still that deep rooted feeling that the board will just sell anyone if they get the right price so we see O'Riley and Abada as the most sellable assets who arguably wouldn't be that missed.

In terms if Abada and his stats I'd argue we'd miss him greatly, but in terms of O'Riley, missing him would depend on whether we find a carbon copy of the engines and drive the likes of guys like Hatate, McGregor or prior to leaving, Christie have.

If we find a replacement that has that type of stamina and overall mobility and drive we wouldn't miss guys like O'Riley.

apevrak likes this.
  15. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    This all day.

Criminal if it isn't addressed tbh. Needed it last summer. And the one before etc etc.

16. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Two midfielders like Armstrong and Christie instead of O'Riley and Turnbull would make a massive difference.

neilly1987 likes this.
  17. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    We need a midfielder with some more defensive nous who has a bit of height about him, if possible. Whilst I agree that another b2b type player with pace would be ideal.

neilly1987 likes this.
  18. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Everything Ange has said thus far suggests we likely won’t recruit that way.

19. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Really don't get the constant talk of needing a right winger.

Abada had said only a week ago he's happy here, he's also now getting international call ups is he gonna risk that by becoming a squad player in England? I don't see him leaving.

27 goals and 18 assists in 97 games, many of which are from the bench and only 21 years old. It's gonna take a massive chunk out the budget to get an upgrade there in my opinion.

And it also seems pointless anyway bcoz no matter what, the manager is gonna play Maeda; particularly in europe so are we wanting a left winger so we can leave Jota sitting on the bench alongside Abada??

For me the best case scenario would be to stick Maead on the right if the manager insists on playing him coz at least we'd get best out of Jota again and let's be honest it doesn't really matter what side of the park Maeda runs about daft does it it's not like he does * all much with the ball when he gets it anyway

20. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Maeda is so much less effective on the right so that would be a waste.