1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Tommy Burns - Neil Lennon : The Signings

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, Mar 24, 2023.

Discuss Tommy Burns - Neil Lennon : The Signings in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Difficult not to give it to Wim, but O'Neill built a team that made us one of the best in Europe. So he's the standout choice here.

2. oh bhoy

almost forgot oneill signed juninho and hedman two players which should have been brilliant signings

LectersLuncheon likes this.
  3. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Junihio should absolutely tore our league to shreds, the problem was the style of football.

O'Neill just wanted long balls pumped into massive physical strikers.

He was bypassed almost completely in any attacking moves

From a MoN perspective, bizarre singing. Makes me wonder if he actually was an ONeill signing, and not a board signing.

In fact, if you look at EVERY manager we've had in the past 20-30 odd years out with perhaps Ange, you can spot the boards fingers all over at least 5 or 6 for each manager.

Understandable. Players like cha du ri, Koki Mizuno, Ian Wright, Dion * Dublin etc etc, these were business decisions, not footballing acquisitions.

4. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    And looking looking at BR's signings, definitely woeful business.

The man is a master at walking into a club and transforming the incumbent players; but absolutely * useless in a transfer window.

I still scratch my head at the decision to sign Jack Hendry, who's only YT highlight was him running half the length of the pitch to wipe out his own * player.
    Yet Rodgers had him gassed up to be * Maldini.
    Boy is a big useless *. Baffled he gets to wear a Scotland shirt too.

5. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I always figured Wright was basically Barnes underestimating our league and assuming his past it mate would destroy the league.

6. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman

No, Dion Dublin was a Gordon Strachan signing. He had managed him at Coventry. I thought he done no bad for the half a season he was here. He actually did.

Yes Juninho should have slaughtered Scottish defences. Problem was he was brought in to really fill the role Larsson left. Maybe not positionally, but definitely to be the 'star act' as it were. He was always going to be on a hiding to nothing with those shoes to fill, plus like you say O'Neil's tactics didnt help him. It was the same when O'Neil signed David Fernandez as a kinda replacement for Lubo. Fernandez already proved he could take any defence in Scotland to the cleaners.....but just didnt fit in at Celtic at all....again probably because he was replacing a fan's icon in Lubo.....and also because O'Neil's tactics didnt bring him into the game much at all and gave him much of a chance to impress

7. Creativecelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current Team:Kyogo; Invincible Team: Brown; Seville Team: Larsson; Burns Team: McNamara
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Various
    Some of Tommy’s signings were a breath of fresh air, compared to the dreck that Macari and Brady had signed. What a team they were to watch. Couldn’t defend tho or keep a clean sheet.

8. hiphopaddict

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paulo Di Canio
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Loansome Boatman
    That was the problem with Tommy. We loved him as a Celtic man. But he bought too much into playing "the Celtic way"....i.e all out attack without too much emphasis put on defence at all.

Even Di Canio said that when he, Thom, Cadete and Van Hooijdonk played in the same team that we were 4 men down defensively when the other team went up the park. This was made very apparant playing Hamburg in the UEFA Cup, they beat us 3-nil at home and also 3-nil away. Tommy's tactics was just to throw everything at them and try and score more than they did.....Hamburg just kept hitting us on the break and tore us apart 6 times in 2 games, and it could have been more

Creativecelt likes this.
  9. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    And that team was one of the best in Europe down to a Wim Jansen signing, and wouldn’t have been without him :fear:

Callum McGregor likes this.
  10. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    The signings during Lennon's tenures for me are the most impactful bunch of all, given that MON mostly inherited some players and made them into a deadly force. Okay, Lennon's best signings were in his first tenure, and he reused Izzy and Forster. But that's because of how good of a track record they had. Ange's biggest challenge will be to best Lennon's 2012/13. European season.

11. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

This, the correct answer is Wim.

12. Mr. Slippyfist

Aye, remember that one very well.

That was the final straw of me defending Mowbray and Venus - pair of solid defenders in their day, but absolute shitebags in management and coaching.

13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Aye he lost me completely then, I was feeling just sorry for him up till then, but that was cowardly and it’s not a previous descriptor I’d have used for him