1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Josip Juranovic

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by GavCFC1, Aug 21, 2021.

Discuss Josip Juranovic in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

His agent feeding the media stories for 8 month must’ve just been a coincidence then.

The_Bhoy, AussieGreek and NomDePlum like this.
  2. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I agree with a lot of what you are saying there. The thing that is really grating for me is the comment about Johnston being bought being his reason for going. I don't believe that for a second.

AussieGreek and JamesM09 like this.
  3. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    Good luck to him but we got some money and replaced him with a player better than him. So it doesn't matter.

Rydo1888* and NomDePlum like this.
  4. JamesM09

Yeah if he’s meant that as it sounds he’s definitely being a bit liberal with the truth! :56:

neilly1987 and NomDePlum like this.
  5. JamesM09

Who among us hasn’t been in such a position?

I dare say it happens all the time!

6. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    A surprising interview but who cares, he's already gone.

neilly1987 likes this.
  7. G40B

Probably just laying the foundations to be able to hop on the ex-player gravy train once retired.

8. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby

JJ hasn't been forced to move. He had Romano planting stories about his future since the 3-0 game. He also told the club in the summer he was wanting to move

9. JamesM09

As I say, I think he was signed on a particularly low contract.

If you assume that - everything fits. He probably approached Celtic looking to improve the contract to reflect his value or be allowed to move for a decent fee to pursue the improved contract. (This obviously just gets interpreted as "Juranovic demands to leave Celtic because the greedy * thinks he can get 100k pw !!!")

Anyway Celtic now have the power. They can either do nothing, improve the contract or sell the player. The player will be motivated to go to far more clubs since they are on a low wage. (see Giakoumakis having the choice between Japan or USA..).

Ultimately I think they decided to take the £10m for very obvious reasons. I suspect Juranovic is now being paid much more money, but possibly nothing more than what we would've paid if we wanted to keep him.

I don't see why there always needs to be a bad guy or any bitterness. My salary review is coming up in work and I'm being underpaid vs. my colleagues. I assure you two things, I don't want to leave and if my salary isn't brought into line, I'll be leaving.

aliceinsound and neilly1987 like this.
  10. EddieBhoy1986

Nice interview and the guy obviously respects the * out of the team and Ange. Why fans feel the need to get hung up on the buisness side of the club and take that side of things personally I'll never understand. The stuff that matters happens on the pitch and in the training ground. Leave the souless buisness side of things to the suits.

11. BigDoggyWoofWoof

It all depends how much he was asking for. We could have (and should have) sold him for more, but setting that aside, a motivated Juranovic who could contribute to our side was definitely worth keeping around. Maybe he was demanding a fortune but is he really likely to be on a massive wage at Union Berlin?

I think this might be a story of both sides * up. Him and his agent continually threatening to leave if we didn't cough up and us for not etiher giving him a moderately improved contract or waiting it out until a real offer came in. Could have probably been handled much better all round.

Leone Naka Fan and BigWilly like this.
  12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

I don't really care': Ange Postecoglou shrugs off Celtic's 'soap opera for the masses' after ex-player's comments
    Eyebrow-raising comments from the recently departed Josip Juranovic in which he declared himself “sad Celtic didn’t try to keep me” were always likely to provoke a furrowed-brow and a funny from Ange Postecoglou.

The Australian did not disappoint on that front, with a “soap opera for the masses” summation one to add to his collection of arch responses. The Celtic manager’s appraisal of an interview given by the now Union Berlin right-back on a £7.5million move that ended a hugely successful year-and a half stint in Scotland could be read as the 57-year-old having moved on with gratitude and bemusement the Croatian full-back had chosen not to do likewise and instead pick over the recent past. A place that tends not to be so much a foreign country for him as a galaxy far, far away. Juranovic, who praised Postecoglou and described his old club as “one true love”, was hardly banished to a moon planet in being afforded the chance to make good the ambition to operate one of the big five set-ups. No less than a Bundesliga his new team are among the leading pack within.

“I don’t really care, to be honest,” said Postecoglou of the defender’s surprise at the circumstances surrounding his exit. “Josip was outstanding for us for 18 months. He won trophies and represented his country at a World Cup. Now he has gone on and he is doing fantastically well and I couldn’t be happier for him. We continue on our journey now. The rest of it is just a soap opera for the masses.

We are a football club that is consistently trying to be successful. I said previously that we have to be really aggressive in the way that we push this squad to another level because we still believe we need to improve and get better and the only way you can do that is to make sure that you are constantly looking to improve and reinvest in the squad. From our perspective, there are players who left in January after contributing to this football club and that is all we want. They have gone on with our best wishes but my role is to reinvest that money and to try to make us a stronger team.”

neilly1987 likes this.
  13. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    As much as I appreciate JJs feelings for our club and fans....i think that's a load of *. Tried to keep him? He was getting linked with all sorts at the world cup then we pull one from left field with Johnston. I don't even think AJ was expecting much this season. If celtic knew JJ was well up for staying we wouldn't have settled. He wanted a move to a bigger league and he got it. Maybe this was an back handed way of saying...celtic could have got at least another few million. Can't believe they took that. But imo celtic would only accept that knowing that he was looking at other options. Don't think he would have been a down tools guy. But no chance we accepted lowball offers for no reason

14. EddieBhoy1986

I don't think that's what he was meaning at all. Fans assume when they see agents leaking links to other clubs it's because the player wants away, but it's often a way to give the player some leverage in contract negotiations. I suspect when he reffers to not trying to keep him what he means is his agent tried that trick and Celtic didn't want to play ball and weren't willing to improve his contract and instead. You could say they called his bluff (as they did with Giakoumakis)

But ultimately Ange has been clear that if a player makes it known he wants away, whether the player is actually serious or not, they have as good as signed their own exit. He won't persuade them to stay and I assume would signal to the speccy one to start the process to move them on. That agent (GG and JJ have the same one right?) has found out that the usual tricks to get a better contract won't work with Celtic under Ange and you would hope other agents are taking note.

Whether I fully agree with Ange's hardline approach or not I'm not sure. I think it can make us strong and could lead to us bringing in better players. But then I think of players through the years who had wobbles and needed a manager to put their arm around them to convince them they were exactly where they needed to be (see Dr Jo persuading Henrik to sign an improved contract and commit to us, Im sure Tam had thoughts of leaving at one point and ended up staying for 10 years) and think that under Ange those players would have left and I'm not sure the pig headed approach is always the right way. Players are human and can have moments of uncertainty and those moments shouldn't always cost them their place in the team. But Ange is who he is, its worked for him so far and he wont change.

BigDoggyWoofWoof likes this.
  15. BigDoggyWoofWoof

I tend to agree with that take. Managing the egos and whims of footballers is regrettably part of what it means to be a manager. Immediately transfer-listing a player who expresses unhappiness is typically not a good approach, you need to be willing to compromise on gripes like game time and sometimes give a new contract earlier than you might prefer to.

I wouldn't begrudge the way Ange has dealt with these players if there's a good reason for it, perhaps one troublesome agent he wants to see the back of. But if his outlook is generally 'complain, get sold', that's a very naive approach to squad management.

16. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby

Hes playing for a team near top of the Bundesliga he must be heartbroken. JJ made it clear in the summer he was off. Celtic were bracing themselves for him leaving at the end of the summer by all accounts. Abadas changed to JJs agent as well so expect him to move soon too.

17. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

You could apply what he says to most if not all transfers...aw I wanted to stay but they signed x and I never felt loved or wanted or that I would play every game, or I wanted to stay but they didn't make a big enough attempt to keep me, when behind closed doors they've said it would take money their club weren't willing to pay.
    He served us well, was a good player and a good guy, wish him well and we will continue to improve.

18. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Scored for Union Berlin again.

neilly1987 likes this.
  19. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Offt they are 3-2 down at home. Expected a comfy win for them and put them on the acca *!

20. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Playing left wing wits that all about lol