1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

How do we improve next season?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Danny 4692, Mar 2, 2023.

Discuss How do we improve next season? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Danny 4692

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    Every successful team looks to improve year on year, looking at our current strongest XI it's hard to see where and who we can improve on, which positions do we need to strengthen in the summer.

Also who do we think will leave?

2. Pearse67*

There is always room for improvement.

Goalkeeper is definitely one for the way we wish to play under Ange.

3. PaddyJamieson

I think we'll sign a GK, winger and another 8. Maybe another striker too.

Biggest improvements needed for me are in refining the playing style. We are getting better and better at playing out but for Europe that still needs to be improved further. We also need to be better in transition. Hopefully Iwata and/or a new 8 will help with that.

My biggest concern probably though and where I feel we can really improve is in making it a 90 minute performance. We always have the same slump around 55 minutes until 75 minutes, and in Europe were continually punished for it. We almost were on Sunday too. I think this is part fitness and also partly mental, as we seem to panic a bit and lose our composure. I'm sure Ange will be working on this and I hope to see improvements with it next year.

If we improve on the above I genuinely feel we can qualify from a CL group, and take a few big scalps in the process.

NakamuraTastic and Danny 4692 like this.
  4. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    Most will probably say GK, but i think Hart is hugely important and still a good GK. He is also a leader so i would not gamble on replacing him just yet. Finding a GK proven with his feet is close to impossible below 10-15 mill.

1. Turnbull out - New midfielder in.
    2. A really proven and deadly RF/RW taking Forrests spot in the team.

Maybe a LB as well, because we really dont know if we can rely on Bernabei if Taylor gets injured.

Dublin Celt likes this.
  5. calmac23

Goalkeeper is the clear area we should be looking to improve. Keep Hart around for a season to help mentor whoever we bring in and as a capable number 2.

Then, I think it's really about trying to upgrade key positions. I think a LB that can compete with Taylor since Bernabei hasn't really worked out yet would be good and upgrading on Turnbull in midfield too. Otherwise, it's really just replacing whoever leaves (likely Abada?).

6. Danny 4692

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    My thoughts exactly regarding the full 90 minute thing, tiredness in the latter stages albeit is natural is the only danger to us atm. Can defo see signs of us improving constantly though. Hopefully 1 or 2 quality signings in the summer and a little bit refining the tactics could see us have a good CL campaign. Think we need a new GK myself and if we can figure out ways to limit being caught in the counter in Europe we'll be a force to be reckoned with.

PaddyJamieson likes this.
  7. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I think possible leavers are
    Jota
    CCV
    Hatate
    Maeda
    Turnbull

I think CCV would be the hardest to replace.

I believe keeping consistency and being prepared for players leaving is the big thing. I wouldn't be surprised if contact for a player has been made, and we will prepare for that.

Unless players leave I don't see lots coming in. I think Iwata and Yuki were early improvements. We may see another striker to allow Oh to settle and grow into the game.

8. Danny 4692

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    Would personally prefer a new GK next season mate not cos I don't rate Hart but he's prone to a mistake at times and is a wee bit dodgy with the ball at his feet. Quite slow to react at times as well. However if we decided to keep him as number 1 in order to focus on using funds to sign a quality plauer elsewhere I wouldn't be too disappointed. Regardless he needs to be kept at the club for his leadership in the dressing room.

Skelleto likes this.
  9. G40B

I reckon Ange will have another roll at the dice on replacing Taylor.

Hopefully this time with a more established player.

10. Danny 4692

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    Think Bernie should be loaned to get a bit first team experience and bring in another left back to compete with Taylor. There's a plauer in Bernabei but he's not getting consecutive minutes to improve.

11. PaddyJamieson

Aye the improvements over the last 12 months have been mental. I fully expect us to go into next season a slicker and stronger outfit.

Danny 4692 likes this.
  12. oh bhoy

Gk,cb,lb,rw,st

13. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Think O'Riley and Turnbull will be away.

A midfielder in that mould, but a bit more mobile, and a goalkeeper I think will be brought in

14. Danny 4692

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    I wouldn't want anybody to leave tbh but If I had to choose 2 it would be Abada and O'Riley. Both young who we can get really good money for and wouldn't effect us on the pitch too much. Players like CCV, Hatate and Jota are must keeps for another season at least.

15. Taylor1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Welsh, Forrest and Turnbull out. They are not likely to make any impact going forward now.
    Hart to retire at the end of the season ? If so, Kelleher in please.
    And to harp back to an old chestnut again, I would like to see a midfield destroyer in the shape of Scott Brown/Barry Robson type.

16. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I don't see us getting loads for either, sure we could make a profit but I don't think either have had that good enough seasons and didn't perform in Europe.

17. horseshoe

Think GK is the most obvious, Hart has been a great signing for us but we should be looking for a younger long term no1 now, don't leave it until his contract is done or after he declines. Jury still out on Bernabei aswell, really hoped he'd be pushing Taylor for a place by now, if he doesn't kick on we might have to look for another LB in the summer.

Danny 4692 likes this.
  18. Danny 4692

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    Europe isnt the be all and end all for clubs thesedays when it comes to signing players. Clubs pay premium for future potental. Ajer was rotten in Europe for us but we got £13m because he was young. Abada's numbers cannot be ignored there's not another winger in any top ten league at his age that are contributing to goals like he is. O'Riley maybe less so but he had the likes of Dortmund and Chelsea after him when he was at Fulham. My prediction would be £8m-£12m for O'Riley and £12m-£18m for Abada

19. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    In order for us to be better over the full 90 minutes, we'd need to tone down our pressing. It's impossible for any team to maintain a high press for 90 minutes without serious mistakes happening. Ange hates playing a structured defense and absorbing pressure, though.

Danny 4692 likes this.
  20. Danny 4692

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    Iwata seems to be that type of player in midfield. Don't think that's a priority unless someone leaves.