1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Mikey Johnston

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Keano88, May 6, 2017.

Discuss Mikey Johnston in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    The problem is he hasn't proved himself to be worthy of a spot. He was never great for Celtic, and even on loan he isn't starting a lot. We can't be capping him on the off chance he becomes passable.

2. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    How is he doing over there? Performing well?

3. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    Well seeing as this is the worst crop of Irish players with the worst Irish manager ever...we'll take him! Errr. is there anyone else we can have?

4. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Starting a bit less since the start January. Starts the odd game plus cameos. Not many goals or assists.

Skelleto likes this.
  5. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Good luck to him. Can be a handy player but never good enough for Scotland unless he hit some and form.

6. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    It's not so much that he is a star currently, but is still someone with potential, we have slim pickings already, he probably should have had a call up a few years ago when he was doing well with us but was probably injured at the time. You are right though, we can't just call up anyone for the sake of capping them but when Barrie McKay is our next choice for a wide player of have gave Mikey a pick over that

7. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Good luck to him, never going to make it here and we need to offload him in the summer.

8. DEADEYECFC

Fav Celtic Player:
    teemu pukki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    We've a great crop coming through mate vata zefi that boy for Brighton up top England trying to poach him Justin ferizaj looks a talent too mate

Sent from my CPH2375 using Tapatalk

9. DEADEYECFC

Fav Celtic Player:
    teemu pukki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMYy9txhc/

This was a good insight mate

Sent from my CPH2375 using Tapatalk

10. King Kwon Gold Member Gold Member

I won't stand for this Daryl Horgan disrespect :giggle1:

Crilly likes this.
  11. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    And still don't with this one trick pony

12. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Ben doak most probably will be breaking into team shortly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

martin_d, saltire78 and Gazzi79 like this.
  13. elbhoydo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    No big loss to Scotland and who knows with Ireland he might get the odd game:67:

martin_d and NakamuraTastic like this.
  14. Crilly

Hes a good player I think. Just * plagued with injuries.

eire4, saltire78 and Leone Naka Fan like this.
  15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Ange Postecoglou says he has yet to make a decision over Mikey Johnston's long-term future at Celtic.

But the Hoops boss reckons switching his allegiances to the Republic of Ireland could take his career to a new level. Johnston - who has played at every underage level for Scotland - is currently on loan with Portuguese side Vitoria Guimaraes. The 23-year-old has been plagued with injuries in recent seasons but has managed to rack up 20 appearances this term, scoring three goals and supplying three assists.

A product of Celtic's youth system, Glasgow-born Johnston has decided to commit his international future to Ireland and could win his first cap in the upcoming friendly against Latvia on March 22, should UEFA approve the switch in time. It's a big opportunity for Johnston to showcase his talents as he looks to force his way into Celtic's plans next season or win a move elsewhere.

Yet while Postecoglou has been satisfied with Johnston's progress, the Aussie admits the club will review the attacker's situation in the summer.

He said: "In terms of his international football, that's a decision he's made and I'm sure he's given it plenty of thought with the people around him.

"I think international football is a fantastic part of a footballer's career. It gives you new and different experiences and allows you to take your game to another level as well because of the different kind of context international football brings

Hopefully for him that gives him all the things he'll be looking for in his career. In terms of beyond that, he's playing more regularly. We needed him to play more football and he's doing that and at the end of the year we'll assess it and decide what's best for his future

16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Johnston receives FIFA international clearance

Celtic winger Mikey Johnston has declared to play for the Republic of Ireland having received his FIFA international clearance.

Johnston, on loan at Portuguese Primeira Liga side Vitória Guimarães this season, has completed the eligibility process and is now available for selection for the Republic of Ireland ahead of the March international fixtures against Latvia and France.

Glasgow-born, Johnston qualifies for the Republic of Ireland through his grandfather who was from Derry and started the eligibility process months ago after making Ireland manager Stephen Kenny aware of his desire to play for the Republic of Ireland.

The 23-year old made his first-team debut in 2017 and has since gone on to win the Scottish Premiership three times with the Glasgow club, as well as two Scottish Cups and two Scottish League Cups.

He started in the 2019 Scottish Cup final where Celtic claimed a 2-1 victory over Hearts and also scored a decisive penalty in the 2020 Scottish Cup final where Celtic claimed a penalty shoot-out victory over the same opposition.

Johnston also has extensive European competition experience in the UEFA Champions League and Europa League, scoring against French side Rennes SC in a 3-0 win in the 2020 addition of the competition.

Currently on loan in Portugal, Johnston has enjoyed an impressive season for Vitória where he has made 20 appearances in all competitions, scoring three goals and providing three assists.

"I'm delighted to declare for the Republic of Ireland and excited for what my future holds in an Ireland shirt," said Mikey Johnston.

"Myself and my family have always been proud of our Irish roots with my grandad hailing from Derry and to potentially now play for Ireland is something that really excites me.

"It's up to me now to impress the manager and to get selected to the squad but my focus now is to break into that squad and to make an impact for the team in a big year for the team.

"I've always watched the Ireland matches and the atmosphere always looks incredible. I can't wait to play at the Aviva Stadium and hopefully create some great moments for the team."

"Mikey is an exciting player, a great individual talent and we're delighted to see him declare for the Republic of Ireland," said Ireland manager Stephen Kenny.

"I'm looking forward to seeing him play at the Aviva Stadium, dribbling in the way that he can and we look forward to helping him fulfil his potential in an Ireland shirt."

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

18. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Agreed the Irish squad in recent years has been the worst since probably the early 70's. The direct result of decades of mismanagement and a refusal of those in Ireland who run the game to put into place proper developmental pathways for our top young players. In particular we have had a total lack of quality up front or creativity and play making from midfield. So Johnson if he can stay fit is a potentially very good addition as his qualities directly relate to an area of our squad where we have very little available currently.

There are thankfully some green shoots. Finally LOI clubs are beginning to develop their own academy systems and your starting to see LOI first teams get much younger and get populated with players from their academies and the new underage national leagues are another step in the right direction. A long long way to go for Irish football to be able to get into a position where we have the facilities and complete structures and pathways for our top young players to develop into top level pros but at least there are some positive steps being taken in the right direction.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  19. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    I remember reading around 2005 that the Irish were going to copy the Danish youth system as the Danes do have a pretty ok record of bringing players through - I wonder what happened to that?

There was a book released around 2 years ago by a journo basically detailing how the FAI went bankrupt and detailing all the funds that were wasted by the top brass - that looked like a great read.

20. truedub1916

The confidence of being an international
    And a summer with Ang
    I still think we could have a player here