1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Aaron Mooy

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Valhalla, Jul 19, 2022.

Discuss Aaron Mooy in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. HatsmyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    I always thought Mooy was a good signing. But I expected him to be a spoiler for the opposition rather than a creater for us.

I was wrong.

2. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    It would take a system change rather than just slotting in a big bloke at DM to significantly affect that, given that when we're building up play the idea (even in Europe) is to squeeze the pitch and for the CBs to be over the halfway line. So DM or not, those breakaways will always happen.

The thing is though that despite being countered, we created enough good opportunities in almost all of the games to get something out of the game, including at home to Madrid. We just didn't take anywhere near enough of them.

craigtheceltic likes this.
  3. PaddyJamieson

I still don't think he's the answer in that 8 position for Europe. I'll be disappointed if we don't go out and try and improve that area of the park in the summer.

Brilliant domestically, but we need someone with a serious engine in the middle of the park when playing against the elite sides.

martin_d and The Phoenix like this.
  4. murphy88

I never mentioned anything about a big bloke. Two of the best holding midfielders from memory were Makelele and Kante. A bit of height wouldn’t hurt as we have a pretty small team as it is, but more importantly, they need to read the game well, cover the ground and be able to shift the ball quickly.

We did crate a lot, and I seen massive leaps in terms of how we attacked on the biggest stage of European football. The fact remains though that we need to be better defensively and harder to break down. A proper holding midfielder would help with that. Ange must feel it’s a position that requires work as well, given that we have signed Iwata.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2023
    martin_d and Lewis Kerr like this.
  5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

6. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    Gotcha. I don't disagree at all that we need to improve defensively at European level, however I think we lose a lot when McGregor isn't playing that deeper role. He's just so mobile and quick moving the ball forward that he's difficult to replace in Ange's system. I doubt it was coincidence that him being out injured coincided with a period of us scoring less goals and winning a lot of games by just a single goal.

It was interesting that when talking about Iwata, Ange said that he could give us the option to change formation, and he added that change could be a long-term one rather than just for the short-term. Simply pushing McGregor forward wouldn't really result in a formation change, so maybe he's thinking of playing 2 holding midfielders. He's used that formation before with the Socceroos.

7. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    People say he's boring in interviews, I actually like the fact he's very humble and doesnt seem the sort who will think he's too good for Celtic after stringing a few good performances together.

8. murphy88

McGregor is massive for us, absolutely no question about it. Domestically, with him playing deeper there is absolutely nothing to worry about. He does read the game well and moves it quickly. We do however dominate a huge chunk of pretty much every game domestically. I still think we need someone with more defensive instincts for Europe though.

If Iwata has a big impact here and it works out, I could perhaps see us playing with two holding midfielders in Europe with him and McGregor to be honest. Especially away from home. I wouldn’t have an issue with that. We would still carry a threat and it would certainly make us more solid defensively in my opinion.

9. World Champion

At the railroad bar, about seven o'clock.
    Think of the money he saves on shower caps.

jj81 and MAP like this.
  10. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

This current version of Mooy I.e. match fit and fully integrated into the club and the squad would have been infinitely better for us in Europe this season. He was nowhere near ready for a European campaign months ago.

Personally thing he’d cope no problem whatsoever, he is a fantastic and experienced football player who’s class is shining through right now on a weekly basis.

11. Mr Cleansheets

No they weren't.

I said he'd come good and boss the league, and he has. Or at least, once he's been MOTM against the huns and sealed the league, he willl have done so.

12. Mr Cleansheets

13. MAP

Aaaah, Makelele (what a blast from the past!).

Used to make Zidane look so, so good.

murphy88 and martin_d like this.
  14. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Zidane made Zidane look so good.

Makelele was class though, agreed

Liam Scales and The_Bhoy like this.
  15. spitz

After the Ang thread, thought some of you would know better.

*chefs kiss*

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Couscous

Hatate is mobile and a ballplayer, and he can defend. I'm surprised Ange hasn't tried him at 8. He and McGregor fit the types of holding midfielder you're talking about.

17. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    PaddyJamieson likes this.
  18. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    You guys are going to be proved wrong again, when will you learn :56:

Mooy has had no issue going up against the best in Europe and the EPL.

AussieGreek likes this.
  19. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

He was class at the WC too.

craigtheceltic likes this.
  20. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Less of the ‘you guys’. I was happy with the Ange appointment at the time (as posts of mine from then show), and I also believed Mooy would prove to be a good signing, as he is doing.

That said, you must be watching a different guy altogether if you think he has the pace for a system like this in the CL. I’m not obligated to switch my brain off just to prove I like a guy or believe in him.

PaddyJamieson likes this.