1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Josip Juranovic

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by GavCFC1, Aug 21, 2021.

Discuss Josip Juranovic in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. SwissCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Aiden McGeady, Artur Boruc
    Bit surprised he wants to go there. Don't think they can pay much better salaries than we and I don't know for how long they can play for the top of the league. They're punching above their weight since they came up in 2019. But it's a likable club, great fans and atmosphere. But thought there would be more possible for an Croatian international.

2. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Maybe I’m reading too much into it but he looked as if he didn’t want to leave in the pictures from Edinburgh airport probably reinforces the point he’s 28 and will be last big contract money wise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Pictures?

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Ange Postecoglou warned Celtic fans not to get sentimental over any departing Hoops heroes as Josip Juranovic edged closer to becoming the first big name through the January transfer window exit door.

The Australian confirmed the Croatian will undergo a medical with Bundesliga side Union Berlin in a deal worth around £10million and the Parkhead manager admitted it's part of a ruthless approach to comings and goings at his club which is all about the bottom line. After watching his side ease to a 5-0 Scottish Cup fourth round win over Championship side Morton, Postecoglou heaped praise on Juranovic for his service and also revealed Greek striker Giorgos Giakoumakis' departure is also imminent.

He said: "I said at the AGM we have just got to be really agile and aggressive in the transfer market if we want to make the gains we want to make. I get that it is unsettling and disconcerting, particularly for our supporters, because they love these players, and I totally understand that. But my role is to try to make decisions that I think are best for us and our continued growth as a football team, and realising when an opportunity comes along we have to be ready to take it.

"That's what we have done with Josip. I don't think there needs to be winners and losers out of this. I can't question Josip's contribution, he has been fantastic. Josip has absolutely loved his time here and he will remember it fondly and he gets an opportunity to do further things in his career and for his family. He's been given permission to travel and he'll have a medical with Union Berlin.

"I assume that if all goes well then he'll move. I think he's been fantastic, I've loved working with Josip. He's been a really popular member of the dressing room, he's been a key contributor last year to what was a very, very important season, in the context of what had happened the season before.

"The fact we had to rebuild the team and get back to where we wanted to be in terms of champions then he was a key component of that. With all of the lads, I'm constantly in dialogue with them about themselves and their careers and people have to appreciate Josip is 28-years-old but he hasn't really got to the highest level until late in his career.

"He just wants to maximise his opportunities, to be honest. I agree with him. That's what all of us have in our careers, a limited time and we want to take opportunities. He leaves here as a fantastic player and as somebody who contributed to what was a really important season for us. I certainly wish him well and I hope he goes over there and kills it. He's very well respected within our dressing room and will be missed but that is the nature of football."

Juranovic, a £2.5million signing from Legia Warsaw, watched from the stand as Celtic crushed Morton and Postecoglou revealed he also left out Giakoumakis from his plans due to ongoing talks with clubs in both Europe and Asia.

Liam Scales and Rydo1888* like this.
  6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

7. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Ange is literally one of our best managers ever because of who he is.

8. Rydo1888* Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Get in line bub :67:

9. stew37

Love Ange's comments and perspective. Wish Jura all the best. Hopefully it's the best move for him and his family and we can invest the money wisely.

Liam Scales and Rydo1888* like this.
  10. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    It is an odd looking move, their top paid player is only on 29k according to salary sport, so not crazy more than he's on here and not more than our top earners. But I have no ill will for him, I hope he does well

BigDoggyWoofWoof likes this.
  11. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
  12. leeso-ardoyne

Disappointed to see him go but it is what it is. We move on and plan ahead without him. We've been here before and we'll be here again with other players.

On another note, who the * pushes two suitcases. Anyone with an oz of sense pulls them :confused:

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

15. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    What a lot of * this guy talks he has him at Monza for €7m it’s £10m ffs

16. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

£7+ a bag of chips so probably works out at 10 afterwards

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  17. DonnyCelt

I wish him all the best and hope he does well in Germany. Ange is the man with a plan, he knows what he is doing and I trust him completely.

18. BigManSmalls

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
  19. blackfish Screaming from beneath the waves...

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Good luck to him. I didn’t rate him as highly as many others, but he bust a gut when representing us and has made us a nice profit.

His best game was in February against Sevco. A magnificent performance.

Hope N Ur Heart likes this.
  20. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Best of luck to him. He did well in the first season, when having to fit in at both LB and RB, and was until recently a relatively reliable pen taker. Admittedly his performances this season were not at the same level, but I suspect he may've been holding back a little, as he was focused on the World Cup, where he absolutely had a blinder and got his move. For having him here for 18months and then being moved on, can't complain.

Besides the sale covered what it cost to bring him in originally plus the profit covered the cost of signing Adam Johnston, Tomoki Iwata and Yuri Kobayashi as well all in one swoop, and opens up opportunities for Ralston and AJ to compete for RB spot. Not bad business.