1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Scottish Cup Celtic 5 - 0 Morton

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Dec 16, 2022.

Discuss Celtic 5 - 0 Morton in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. trip2themoon Concomitant Allez-Vous?

Fav Celtic Player:
    Peter Grant
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the Old Brigade

Bet the Huns get a penalty this evening, just to balance things out. Difference being that the Huns are up against SPL opposition away from home who have just lost 5 league games in a row so might have a point to prove tonight.

2. murphy88

Good performance again today. Easy to let the standards drop against a lower league team but we didn’t fall into that trap. Mooy was outstanding again. Hard to justify going with O’Riley in front of him just now in my opinion. No injuries and a 5-0 win. Good day all round.

3. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    That should never have been a penalty today. I know we have been harshly done by in regards to not having pens awarded (not to mention been on the receiving end of conceding them based on some shockingly bad decisions) but that shouldn't ever have been one today. The fact that barely anyone even bothered to appeal speaks volumes. Everyone knew from the deflection that Ambrose had no chance and it wasn't like his arm was away from his body or in an unnatural position apparently anyhow.

If that were given against the Hoops everyone would've been howling. That was poor from VAR and poor from Clancy. There is no excusing that, it was just poor. There is simply no other explaination.

That had all the hallmarks of giving a pen in a way that would statistically impact the game in progress (the other 2 we have had domestically both came when we were already 2+ goals up so already well ahead) but against an opponant in a contest that was not likely to be remotely close, so it showed on the stats but effect would be meaningless in the bigger picture. That was a 'whataboutery' pen. Poor, poor, poor.

That aside, it was as expected a result as was likely. Morton were doing well earlier in the seaosn, but hadn't played a home game since the previous ScCup round in November due to frozen pitches and just how the fixtures have fallen etc, and no surprise they've been going through a massive dip in form. Since that previous game at Cappielow they've gone from 2nd and 1 point off the top of the table in the Championship to stalling and being overtaken by like 4 or 5 teams, have been knocked out of both the Challenge Cup and now today in a game they were at long, long, long odds to progress in anyhow.

Credit where credit is due though. Kyogo 2 more goals (and upto 20 for the season so far), Mooy another brace also, Abada was terrific and another assist was the least his efforts deserved, Turnbull again showing he has shooting boots from a distance and has value, Haksa getting min into his legs, Iwata making his debut and Hart recording his 5th clean sheet in 6 games. For a defence that, Starfelt aside, had a grand total of about a dozen games between them for the club it was as comfortable as could be expected.

Although think Scott Bain will be wondering where his future lies and wouldn't be surprised that once it looks like Siegrist's calf strain clears up if Bain will be looking for the exit, if he can't even get a game against lower league opposition, compared to Siegrist's deputizing in the LgCup games against RossCo & Motherwell - both Premiership teams. Bain - still can't believe I'm writing this - is a fully capped Scottish International and is 31 (which theoretically should be right in his prime) and you would think he'd want to be playing than being 3rd choice at a club that he isn't even trusted to take a Cup game against a 2nd tier mid-table side that is woefully out of form and short of confidence.

4. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Just realised too, this was our first game without a penalty against us or a goal disallowed

5. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    On bain, I've said it before in other bits, 3rd choice keeper is a specific role, he's there to be a competent trainer with the squad and give that level of goalie to train against as well as provide that experienced head to support the other guys around.

Aye he's younger than a lot go into that role as but it is a valid and important role, look at Scott Carson at city or Schwartzer with Chelsea and Leicester, donarummas brother too with Milan. He isn't expecting to be in playing, but in an emergency he is a good level to that stop gap.

George Theodorou likes this.
  6. PiotreQ

Fav Celtic Player:
    Artur Boruc
    Well done my beloved club:ynwacelti

Rydo1888* likes this.
  7. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I take your point, as only one keeper can play at any given time, unlike outfield players that can potentially fit in in as makeshift if needed in other positions. Not all, but potentially. Keepers are a breed apart. However, the point was making was he should be in his prime right now - as good as he gets. The guys you were talking about were at the end of their playing days when moved to those roles, not what should be slap bang in the middle.

Schwarzer was nearly 42 when he moved to Chelsea. Scott Carson was 35 when he went to City, which even that had mitigating circumstances and until his last season at Derby was playing regular first team football (33 games in 2018/19) while Derby were spunking stupid money in a desperate bid to reach the EPL (which failed and led to their recent woes), and even if it was to simply secure the same level of money he was on at Derby when he went on loan and then covid shutdowns et al, it was a smart move on his part to stay there and agree to take that 3rd keeper role there. There is a bit different.

8. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I understand with his age and what your saying, most that go Into that role do it at an older age but there are plenty professional keepers that have made an entire career of being a 3rd choice, Antonio donarumma is kinda one of those, he spent 4 years at AC (possibly because of his brother) and since leaving his now in serie c at 32

Paolo lopes won 12 trophies with benfica in that role and had a good career of it, Ross Turnbull 4 years at Chelsea on his and their prime trophy winning time getting 2 fa cups a champions league and a Europa. Alex Manniger, did it with arsenal early on ( probably more 2nd choice then while young, did get game time) juventus, Liverpool, Espanol, Torino , Bologna.

They'll make more money likely and be part of something bigger than dropping off to a smaller club where they'd fit in to be first choice, Rob Green was meant to be on about 20k a week being a training goalie for Chelsea really (aye old and a final payday type there). Same played true in the corporate world, you can go be a chief at a smaller company or be a regular old worker at a big place and probably make more money being a part of the big company that you would being a leader at the little one, both valid career paths.

Ideally I'd like us to see Joe Hart drop to 2nd choice next season and then extend and fall into that 2rd choice role with us as I think he has the professionalism and personality to do really well as that "uncle" type role. But I'd be in no rush to get rid of Bain but don't see him running off before his contract is out either.

9. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Anyone see that bit where efe was getting fully charged down by one of our attackers (can't remember who) but he turned into prime efe and skinned him and passed it off with acres of space he created with that silky dribble. That was the efe I remember. Not post juventus modern efe :56:

Good guy. Good Times.

NomDePlum and KRS-1888 like this.
  10. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Who passed that long through ball to Haksa before he got the ball to Mooy to score ? Perfectly weighted.

Bernie, Iwata or Kobayashi ?

11. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Was Bernie. I asked in another thread

12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

13. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    AJ a fan of Mooys song

14. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

Great day out,much better attendance and atmosphere than I expected and got tickets in the executive lounge,had the honour of meeting Dixie Deans as well.The performance and score (had 5-0 on) topped it all off.

seamus1967, NomDePlum and Maestro 08 like this.
  15. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Thanks buddy - it was a beautiful pass.

16. Danny 4692

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    Canny help but love big Efe man always had a smile on his face. Always remember his triple backflip after scoring his first goal

honda likes this.
  17. 88jimmij88

Fav Celtic Player:
    KT
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand old team to play for

Am howling at this interview. Turnbull keeps trying to look into the camera like he's on Only Fans and Mooy looks like he's seriously considering murdering the interviewer.

Rydo1888* likes this.
  18. 88jimmij88

Fav Celtic Player:
    KT
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand old team to play for
    After he came back from the African cup of Nations I started to hate him. He made so many horrific mistakes that cost us in big matches. I remember ranting after European game that he should never be allowed to pull the shirt on again.