1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Honest Mistakes Thread 2016/17 onwards.

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Bonobhoy, Aug 7, 2016.

Discuss Honest Mistakes Thread 2016/17 onwards. in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. honda Gold Member Gold Member

It only doesn't meet the criteria if its celtic.

Any other teams that's a goal. Thats your criteria.

MickeyyMack and craigtheceltic like this.
  2. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    No it doesn't. It was a pishy wee deflection off his head, in the air, under pressure from Abada. Abada was offside and gained an advantage from the pressure he put on the defender. It was the right decision.

3. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    He attempted to head it. The ball travelled a long way at a pace that shouldn’t have been difficult to clear away. The player unsuccessfully attempting to clear it doesn’t negate the fact he played the ball, a headed clearance isn’t a deflection.

You are clutching at straws. I suggest you watch the videos in that tweet, many unsuccessful clearances touches leading to goals. Exactly why Mbappe’s goal stood which was highlighted earlier.

4. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    And what you're missing is Abada's attempt to challenge him. And the ball bouncing high over his head. :50:

5. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

‘A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball, including by deliberate handball, is not considered to have gained an advantage, unless it was a deliberate save by any opponent.’

The defender made a deliberate attempt to play the ball so that rules out that part.

The only part that may hold up is whether Abada was “challenging” for the ball. That part is open to interpretation and is why they took 5 mins to reach a conclusion and is also why I believe that would only ever go against us and not the huns.

Mickmac likes this.
  6. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    So you are saying he attempted to challenge him? Abada doesn’t touch the ball, nor does he interfere with the player. He’s meters from the player.

The rule is clear, Abada doesn’t interfere with the player nor plays the ball. Abada is onside.

Offside offence
    A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:
    • gaining an advantage by playing the ball or interfering with an opponent when it has:
      • rebounded or been deflected off the goalpost, crossbar, match official or an opponent

7. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Abada ran in to put pressure on him aye, and to get on the ball if it got through, which it did. He's not metres away either, probably a metre at the most. There's no reality in which Abada's movement didn't impact the defender.

8. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    D
    do you think if he headered it forward they’d have pulled it back for offside? Because they then should.

It was one of they 50/50 oddities, I’m not too angry about it. The handball * me off though.

9. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Naw, because the linesman didn't flag for it did he? But aye it was offside either way imo. I didn't see the match live (was busy driving) so haven't seen the handball yet.

10. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Because it was a separate phase of play, with a ball that wasn’t aimed for Abada it wouldn’t have been and quite rightly. When he * it up and headers the ball to Abada then you have the question asked, it’s a 50/50 subjective decision at that point. Hence the ref going to the tele.

Sean Daleer likes this.
  11. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    Please show me in the rules that cover Abada putting pressure on the defender and the impact it has.

I agree it makes the defender make a decision, I agree it’s not right, but the rules are the rules and Abada was entitled to do what he did.

12. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Mate you've posted it yourself, interfering with the opponent. Plus I've already said I don't think it meets the definition of deliberate play either. You can disagree, that's fine.

13. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    Yes I disagree with your interpretation of interference and your interpretation of the rule. You’ve changed course a number of times during our disagreement on the rule.

All the evidence of past decisions used in active top level games is consistent with my interpretation of the law.

14. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    lol ok

craigtheceltic likes this.
  15. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    How anyone looks at that and doesn't think Abada is directly impacting/interfering with play is mental. He makes a beeline for the ball as soon as it comes to the defender. It's offside.

16. G40B

Haven't seen the VAR replays as I was at the game, but people are wound up because of how intricately they’re reviewing our incidents.

In all of the umpteen Sevco handballs, it’s been literally seconds they’ve looked - no rewinding and slowing down.

By the reaction online, it would appear he was offside. However, it’s only the ‘right call’ if the goals of other teams’ (Sevco) are getting the same level of scrutiny.

17. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    Just seen the highlights and that disallowed Abada goal is never an offside in a million years. Woeful officiating

Mickmac and craigtheceltic like this.
  18. BigManSmalls

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    The VAR room is in an orange lodge and that is the end of it.

johnboy19 likes this.
  19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    It definitely wasn’t a deflection, it was a header.

Sean Daleer and craigtheceltic like this.
  20. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    I used to think that way, but after reading the rules and watching the segment by the ex-Premier League ref explaining the rules, I’ve changed to not putting my interpretation on the rules into the play. If you take your own interpretation of the rules out, it’s actually really simple, Abada has to either play the ball or physically challenge the defender. He does neither, so he’s not considered offside.

Defender plays the ball unsuccessfully which places Abada onside. Goal should have stood by the rules.

Mickmac, Liam Scales and honda like this.