1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Peter Lawwell

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by eddiebhoy0109, Jan 13, 2015.

Discuss Peter Lawwell in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    my immediate thoughts too.

Morcombe and ticketyboo0 like this.
  2. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Just when we are all happy and content with what's been happening with our club since big Ange came in they go and bring us all back down to earth with this appointment. Absolutely scunnered no matter what his role is as he was instrumental in us not getting the 10 as well as the dodgy shenanigans around the five way agreement.

Morcombe likes this.
  3. murphy88

The fact that the divide amongst the fans just on here is evident tells you this isn’t a great decision.

4. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Once again, you've yet to offer ANY evidence of your original accusations about current player contracts and signings.

You're just chatting Hun *.

As for "they're delighted". Like * they are a small minority are "hopeful" that it was cause internal strife, the vast MAJORITY are already slapping about conspiracy theories about how he's back to * over "the famous" in some way, and to put pressure on referees and VAR....

You see... Unfounded, conspiracy theory *, just like your original post.

Now go have a nap, or at least provide some * EVIDENCE of your wild accusations about Gia and others.

Jeannie960 likes this.
  5. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Agreed.

He should have stayed in the shadows, at least then we didn't have the tinfoil hat brigade.

Out of sight, out of mind.

He'll need to come out asap, and make a statement outlining his involvement, if any, with the playing squad

6. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    He was too busy reading it on follow follow..

Wllm and LectersLuncheon like this.
  7. wulliebad

Celtic always driving backwards...well done....this will be the end of ange.

8. G40B

I’ve noticed there’s a lot of casual Celtic fans on here (nothing wrong with that btw).

This is a perfect example. I’m not traipsing through umpteen articles and interviews to compile all the quotes for you, when anyone who pays attention will have already seen them.

Imagine not knowing about the ‘slow lane’ comment, Rodgers having to ask a BBC reporter who Shved is after being asked about the signing live on air, Rodgers saying he ‘left Celtic for a club with ambition…’, Adam Matthews saying Ledley was made to feel ‘unwelcome’ after Crystal Palace bid for him, Kramaric’s agent saying he’ll never deal with Celtic again after Lawwell left him outside Celtic Park to instead sign Scepovic on a free. The list goes on

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  9. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I’m not going overboard about this yet. Am I angry about this? Yes, however he is coming back as a NED, and should really have limited influence in decision making.

The next two transfer windows will teach us a lot about what kind of pull Lawwell has this time around. I would rather we didn’t have to see what the answer is, but here we are, and I have a feeling that the answer is he doesn’t have much input into the day to day running and can’t directly influence decisions. Time will tell.

10. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    The worst kept secret in Scottish football was confirmed yesterday with a Stock Market announcement that Peter Lawwell would take over from Ian Bankier as chairman of Celtic on 1 January.

There are libraries of academic literature written on corporate succession. Bob Iger was president of Disney from 1999, a post he held until 31 December 2021. His replacement Bob Chapek was confirmed almost two years earlier, but Chapek didn’t cut it and was sacked last month. 71-year-old Iger has his hand back on the tiller.

It is famously difficult to ‘follow Sinatra’. When decades of unique experience, influence and learning leaves a corporation, the new guy and management in the tiers below are fighting the same battles with one less significant resource.

Peter Lawwell had done his time and more as chief exec. It was right for him and right for Celtic that he stepped down last year. Whatever went wrong with Dominic McKay, brought in to replace him on 1 July and released three months later, the club and Dom have kept their counsel. A tumultuous few months saw two CEOs and over a dozen players leave, more still arrive, a managerial recruitment saga that was outrageously successful despite being far from smooth, ended with inhouse candidate, Michael Nicholson, taking over as chief exec.

Still, there were enormous gaps, not least of all in utilising the influence Peter has in the wider European game. It is unlikely that we will ever again have an executive with as much influence as him. For this role, he was asked to stay on as director of the Football Club subsidiary. Without being retained in this role, European football would be a small bit different today.

He went straight to work on one of his pet subjects, Uefa Financial Fair Play regulations, and played a pivotal role in ensuring the lessons we learned in previous years were addressed in the new code – a code which inhibited Newco from spending after their Champions League group stage qualification.

Celtic took the recommendation of Peter’s son, Mark, and appointed Ange Postecoglou manager 18 months ago. This was the pivot point for the Lawwell legacy. He did not get the CEO successor right, but his last act in finding a permanent replacement for Neil Lennon led to the league title last season. If that appointment failed, he would not be back as chair. Looking in from the outside, although you can see the imprint of Peter Lawwell in our current football operation; Michael Nicholson, Mark Lawwell and Ange Postecoglou are fundamentally different than any CEO, recruitment head and manager combination we have ever had. They are technical first, asset management to their core and unhindered by legacy battles.

I know the cost the job had on Peter on a personal level. The disruption to normal life, not to mention the very serious incident he and his family recently had to contend with. He carried ‘a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom’. I doubt he shared the whole picture with anyone, not even those closest.

A friend cautioned him on becoming chairman with, “Why should you get to enjoy your retirement?” He doesn’t need the money, the hassle, or life under the spotlight. It’s Celtic, though, and there is always another challenge. For many of us, that’s enough of a reason.

11. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    My biggest problem with it the fact that we all know for a fact that if it comes down to a disagreement between Nicholson and Lawwell, the majority of the board and especially Desmond will back Lawwell.

That undermines his leadership at a time him and Ange are building something pretty special. He was still around but he wasn’t as involved. This gets him more involved.

12. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

This is the fear mate and the whole reason for my ‘time will tell’ comment. He really shouldn’t have much influence but probably will, for the reasons you mentioned.

I think I’m trying to convince myself as well as anyone else that this isn’t as bad as it initially looks.

Liam Scales likes this.
  13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    He does bring some massive positives as well, he’s extremely well connected and respected throughout boardrooms around Europe and with UEFA. He has a lot of contacts, he is a very shrewd businessman. If his rampant ego is kept under control, if his urge to use the club like his own personal FM save is controlled, then aye it’s a good move.

The problem is time has shown when it comes to him that, that can’t really happen. It’s who he is.

Sean Daleer likes this.
  14. HatsmyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    So Ange looks like condemning Sevco to oblivion and thus killing the old firm once and for all.

So who better to save the old firm, than the * who did it before.

* off Peter we don't give a * about the old firm. WE are CELTIC.

Morcombe likes this.
  15. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

That’s a whole lot of o*d f**m for not caring about o*d f**m

16. oh bhoy

i cant believe what i just read from that * from celticquicknews following sinatra ! christ on a bike i wonder how he has his succulent lamb, trying to let on its his fault sevco cant spend, who gives a * !lawwell allowed rangers to cheat us out of titles and said * all , he allowed sevco to pretend to be rangers and said * all and more than liikely balls deep in the 5 way agreement. throwing out a tenuous link to him bringing ange in hoping that will absolve him from the disastrous lennon appointment , * lawwell

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
    G40B likes this.
  17. StevieBhoooy!

Cant help having the usual suspicions myself with this… would be ideal if his only role was to stand up for the club in association and European matters… if that included holding the VAR lodge to account the even better….

….. however the cynic in me thinks that DD just wants his man back in place to have more day-to-day influence and feedback in his direction.

Unfortunately… we all know PLs character too well and he will be unable to resist sticking his snout into things way too close to the team and recruitment.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
    AdamRS likes this.
  18. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

I'll crack the jokes.

19. leeso-ardoyne

Yes, but he also brought some amount of trophies into our trophy room while making money. I'm not saying he's brilliant but I'm not one to jump on the bandwagon saying he shouldn't have been anywhere near us. I had some amazing moments supporting us in the last 20 years since he came in and for thst, I do admire him for his contribution towards it. It's easy to bit pick away and blame him for all our failings a d forget about the good stuff. If our next 10 years is anything like our last, I'll be a happy man. Surely they know what methods they put in place didn't bring us far in Europe and I'd say, they'll have a different approach from now and the foreseeable future to sort this.

20. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    There you go again.

Digging up past players and managers.

You made an accusation about current deals stalling and current players being hawked. (Is that TWO players we've signed, window not even open?)

Again, ZERO evidence or even circumstantial evidence to back up your frenzy whipping and fear mongering. In FACT the OPPOSITE appears to be the case... Very VERY mutantesque.

Perhaps posters are right about you.