1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Alistair Johnston

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by 88jimmij88, Nov 24, 2022.

Discuss Alistair Johnston in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr. Slippyfist

He looks like the wee ugly * that was pumping one of those Kardashian *

1ED054BF-2234-48E7-9D69-C3E19BF7E852.jpg

Noskeil, Melb Bhoy and PaddyJamieson like this.
  2. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Only watched the first half of Canada vs Belgium and he didn’t stand out, will try catch their next game

3. Mr. Slippyfist

Just seen his wikipedia there:

Alistair * William Johnstone - mother from Newtownards?

In the name a the wee man!

PaddyJamieson likes this.
  4. Foley1888

This is finalised, I imagine once Canada go out the World Cup it will be quickly announced. I am just wondering where Juranovic will end up.

On Johnston, he sounds a different type to Juranovic. He does sound a bit of a mix of full backs we currently have, he sounds defensively robust like Ralston is, good on the ball like Taylor but has a strong physical attributes such as stamina and decent pace like Juranovic.

His physicality would be a welcome addition as we are a pretty small team if we go with Kyogo upfront over Giakoumakis.

5. PaddyJamieson

What a shout. I knew he looked like someone but couldn't place it.

Mr. Slippyfist likes this.
  6. Melb Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    On the face of it, its a good signing.
    Low cost (I'd imagine), young player to develop, International with experience, English speaking ( always helps) & most probably a long term deal (as Ange seems to get his signing on 4-5 year deals!).
    The fact he also has a hunnish name is also good for the other mob to stew in!!
    He seems physical which I always like in a defender, but with a good dose of technique by all accounts.
    I watched the Canada v Belgium game & although he didnt stand out to me, the whole Canada defence collectively did as a unit. Will be keeping a closer eye on him for the following matches obviously.
    Really interesting to see how this then plays out with JJ.
    I like him as a player but seems clear he's off somewhere (who gives a * where really if so), hopefully for a great return with a low cost replacement.
    Also for Ralston who has grown so much, presents a different challenge for him.

7. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Perhaps he's being signed to replace JJ on the pitch but also to still have someone on our books that makes our good looking players look even better by comparison if were we to sell Turnbull...

Artorias likes this.
  8. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Ancestors for sure turning in their graves :56:

Mr. Slippyfist likes this.
  9. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

10. Farmer

Haven't posted here for years but thought I'd weigh in on this potential transfer. Obviously I really hope this transfer goes through and I think it would be a great fit. Admittedly I haven't watched him much at Montreal because I don't watch them much but I've seen all of his games for Canada so I know him well at this point. And I do know that he was a top defender in MLS last season and an important part of a very good Montreal side. He kind of came out of nowhere a few years ago and within a few games of getting his first Canada call up he had pretty much cemented his spot and he has played every game since. If I'm not mistaken he already has the Canada iron man record, but I could be mistaken on that. Either way, he is a very solid player. Not the flashiest, but in local parlance we would call him a "good Canadian boy" which is a hockey meme that describes a hard-working, honest, tough, character type of player, which would obviously go over well in Scotland. Not only that but his game has come on leaps and bounds and I think he still has room to improve further, so it's no surprise that he has gotten linked to a move to Europe. In the last year his offensive game has improved a lot to go with his hard nosed defensive game as well. Honestly I think it's a perfect fit, the way he plays and his character. Even though we have a handful of leader types in the Canada squad right now, I think there's at least an outside shot that he could captain Canada some day later in his career.

Anyways, we love him, you'll love him. Look forward to this hopefully going through.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
  11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Looking forward to see how he gets on Today

12. Pearse67*

Just said fee agreed during commentary.

13. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    How good is it that we get to watch our right back vs our new right back on the biggest stage in world football, while the huns are looking down the back of their couch for some coins to try and attract the QPR manager who was probably getting sacked anyway.

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Alistair Johnston WILL be a Celtic player after the World Cup as new reports claim the final hurdle has been cleared with Montreal.

The Canada right-back emerged as a target earlier in the tournament as Ange Postecoglou seeks out right-back reinforcements. Interest in the 24-year-old comes amid speculation Josip Juranovic could be leaving with the club seemingly keen to maximise his value.

The two were opponents in Qatar on Sunday afternoon as Croatia took on Canada in the 4pm game in Group F. It had previously been reported that a verbal agreement had been reached, with 'final details' remaining to be hashed out. But the BBC's lead commentator Steve WIlson dropped the news early in the clash that a fee has now been greenlit, going as far to say Johnston will definitely be announced as a Celtic player as soon as the World Cup is out of the way. The news came just before Alphonso Davies headed the North Americans into a shock lead over Juranovic's team.

DonnyCelt likes this.
  15. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

He doesn't look any better than Ralston for me. Looks like a drop in quality from Jura...

Harsh to judge him on the only gane I've watched him, but that's my early impression.

Noskeil likes this.
  16. DonnyCelt

Having a shocker if I'm being honest. Wonder if him knowing he's got his move is lnt helping

17. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Turned the game on he was doing a backheal really composed, next minute he's lost the ball a few times and looks slow getting back, the longer the game goes the worst he's getting. Hopefully that can be trained out of him, because this could be another Gutman.

18. Melb Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tommy Burns
    Been * so far. Nutmegged in the lead up to the first goal conceded, didn’t close down the Croatian for the 2 nd goal. Looks slow as * to track back, jogging about the place. Fucken terrible display so far I think. Bit of a worry

19. King Kwon Gold Member Gold Member

Anyone writing him off after the only 45 minutes of football they've seen from him need to give their heads a wobble :giggle1:

HTG and mickcfc91 like this.
  20. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    9 inches slack if rumour is to be believed!