1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Elon Musk buys Twitter

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by JamesM09, Nov 4, 2022.

Discuss Elon Musk buys Twitter in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JamesM09

I couldn’t see a thread on this. Has anyone been following it?

For the record I don’t like the guy and I think his behaviour here is pretty despicable.

He’s sacked 50% of the workforce and it increasingly looks like he doesn’t know what he’s doing. I know he’s a clever guy but he’s vastly overpaid for something which has always struggled for profit.

Could he lose most of the money he’s put into it?

2. StevieBhoooy!

I’ve been following it…

I find him more interesting - and more intelligent - than your Bezos and others…

… but clearly ruthless in business, although his public face doesn’t really show it…you wouldn’t expect a pussycat to end up the richest person on the planet I suppose.

He has admitted he overpaid… but obviously weighed it up abd decided it was worth going ahead rather than taking a big $$$$ hit if he backed out.

I think with big tech companies like this a minor margin fluctuation can be the difference between a profit in the 100s millions $ and an equivalent loss.

Knocking 4000 well paid employees off the payroll will be a start… the blue tick thing could hook in 10s of millions from the vain and vacuous.

JamesM09 likes this.
  3. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Twitter today warned me before tweeting, had it a few times for naughty words, over the term "midget".

Between this, paying for your "ticks" and rumours of full names and the likes, twitter will kill itself off if he goes down these roads.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

JamesM09 likes this.
  4. JamesM09

I think the thing for me is a Twitter seems pretty replaceable if someone’s willing to put some money into an alternative. I don’t think it’s out of the question for a clone to take it’s place.

If the changes to the verification system don’t go down well it really could be a problem for Twitter.

Another big part of the problem is he wants to bring back the likes of Trump, but I think he’s seeing the potential loses for doing that could kill it pretty quickly.

5. honda Gold Member Gold Member

How did he even become the richest :56:

As I grew up we all knew the Microsoft guy was the richest. Ofcourse he was his computers was basically the only thing anyone had. Software worldwide etc. Then out of knowwhere a we Elon guy blows everyone out the water.

On that basis with how little I know of him I'm pretty sure he'll have twitter making money and his we didgeridoo crypto * all over it and worth loads to have his outlay repaid by the end of the year :56:

As for sacking staff.... *.

6. stew37

Another reason not to use Twitter as if I needed another.

7. Onefootwonder

I've never understood why so many people like Twitter and it became so popular. I hate the layout and trying to read through things.

That's before looking at how toxic Twitter is. A large proportion of Twitter is fake accounts trying to troll and wind up each other.

neilly1987, Twisty and Doogs. like this.
  8. JamesM09

I think most of his wealth comes from his shares in Tesla. The list can change quite quickly as Amazon goes up (putting Bezos on top) and Tesla goes down.

I could be wrong but I just can’t see him making any serious money from Twitter. The plan seems to be something along the lines of making a standard rather than a social media service so who knows how that will work out.

But I don’t think there’s much he can do to the traditional Twitter app to make it suddenly gain traction or turn a large enough profit that he can float it and make some money.

Honestly I don’t think he meant to really buy it. I think he wanted to disrupt it a bit because he’s ideologically opposed to it.

Whatever he’s planning he seemed determined to bring down Twitter as it was, which is weird nerd behaviour IMO.

neilly1987 likes this.
  9. StevieBhoooy!

He is a major owner of ‘PayPal’ which I refuse to use if there’s any other options…. Out of moral reasons not because Musk was/is involved.

Think of the suns traded via there every year… their ‘cut’ and fees will be astronomical.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2022
  10. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Every single Celtic related post is just huns talking about child abuse in the comments, the * are sick.

I use Twitter for betting related stuff and that’s it now.

11. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    Due to the way he treated the Twitter staff then that is a good enough reason not to use it.

neilly1987 likes this.
  12. Onefootwonder

One of the perfect examples.

Rangers fans think they are scoring points and embarrassing Celtic. The truth is any normal person reading it sees it as the Rangers fans that are vile cretins. Rangers fans don't understand that they are shaming themselves.

neilly1987 likes this.
  13. StevieBhoooy!

My instincts tell me that he probably didn’t have to go to Turkey.

4E5055EF-594E-4030-8B6E-B4A1CAC4EDBC.jpeg

14. Conjuring_Obey Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley song
    Probably just bought it for exclusive rights to install it on his crappy excuse for cars

15. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Amazing one of the Biggest Arseholes on the Planet is the Richest, sums up our Race really, as for Twatter, never liked it, now i hate it!

neilly1987 and Johniebhoy. like this.
  16. cfcturbo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thomas burns
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Skibereen by wolfe tones
    He started up paypal .controls all money in world

17. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    It's toxic and that's why people like it. They can be a * behind a keyboard with no reproduction. You can read people insulting people and laugh and even gang up. It is a bully's paradise. I remember someone saying to me "don't you use twitter" as an insult, my response was no its *. People got hooked on it.

neilly1987 and Onefootwonder like this.
  18. JamesM09

I think EBay bought PayPal from him years ago so I don’t think he’s still involved with it.

Also not sure PayPal was ever that big that you could say it controls all the money in the world. Surely that’s not right?

19. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

This.

It’s not right.

JamesM09 likes this.
  20. seanm

A total *.HH

neilly1987 and JamesM09 like this.