1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

January transfer window

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Skelleto, Sep 15, 2022.

Discuss January transfer window in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Never incredible for me but all opinions. I didnt think he had the heart.

Sydneysider and Taylor1 like this.
  2. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    You have to remember that there is a club element here. Whether or not 21 year old O’Riley is better than 29 year old Rogic is a serious question. I think there are arguments for and against for both.

The reality is though, 21/22 year old O’Riley is probably going to be worth £15m-£20m. That’s the point Ange is making. Can we get £20m for O’Riley and £15m for JJ and invest champions league level money into the playing squad to chip away at the big guys and break into the latter stages of the champions league, like Club Bruges, Benfica and Porto? I’d love to see us make £35m off them two guys and bring in 3 guys at £8m. A right back and an attacking midfielder, to replace the two we have lost and then another striker, say? Club banks some profit, the squad gets stronger and we take our team to the next level with hopefully, more technically gifted players.

tarboltontim likes this.
  3. Charlielarsson

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Be interesting to see who else he brings in on January

4. Taylor1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I tend to agree.
    To be honest, I much preferred Dembele.

5. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Im with you. Turned up far more in big games as well.

6. EddieBhoy1986

I understand the transfer strategy and that's not the point I was making.

What I'm saying is we have been hit and miss when it comes to replacing players sold or released with better options that advance us. So to make this strategy work we need to better at that, replacing like for like isn't good enough. Bringing in young players who aren't there yet but will be one day isn't good enough if we sell them before they get there.

We supposedly brought in O'Riley to replace Rogic but he was not a better player than Rogic last season and hasn't been a better or more important player than Rogic so far this season. I would argue we are actually missing Rogic more than we should be if he was properly replaced. By the time Matt matures to the level Tom was at last season he will be playing for another club. So we gain finically which is great but it doesn't improve our squad now.

Leone Naka Fan and Lewis Kerr like this.
  7. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    With bringing in the Japanese centre back I really hope we don’t sell ccv. Sick of finding top quality centre backs and moving them on… I feel the way we play, centre back is arguably one of the most important players.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2022
  8. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Yeah. Losing CCV would be crippling. I could live with us not buying Jenz or selling Starfelt, but CCV is needed for the league in a big way. He's one reason why we won it last year.

Boruc17 likes this.
  9. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    We're no bringing this Japanese boy in because Carter-Vickers is off. No chance..

Hammy89 and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  10. KG-Henrik

I reckon every single player in our team is replaceable. Do we really have any stars? I don’t think so. Outwith Larsson and VVD over the last 20years has any player really went on to bigger and better things?

Yes a fair chunk have moved to bigger leagues but let’s be honest, have we missed any of them? 6months down the line they are quickly forgotten. Petrov, Wanyama, Tierney, Dembele, Edouard are examples.

I’m quite happy for the likes of Jota & CCV being here for 2 years(like Dembele)then punt for a good transfer fee. I think these players become stale because of the lack of challenge in Scotland. Look at Edouard at the end as an example. I agree with Ange, the team needs to evolve and sacrifice in necessary.

11. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Welsh may go but maybe he does realise we need 5 CB in there look at points this season sent out a patched up players

McChiellini.. likes this.
  12. EddieBhoy1986

I can tell you there are no players in our budget that can replace Cal McGregor.

If we had unlimited funds then no player is irreplaceable might work, but we don't and it doesn't.

Hammy89 likes this.
  13. KG-Henrik

I can guarantee we can win trebles and get to the first knockout stage of Europa league without Callum McGregor. That’s been our ceiling for the best part of 20years.

Replacing him directly I agree it wouldn’t happen with our budget. But regards of effecting our overall success, I don’t think it matters losing any individual.

Rogicisgod likes this.
  14. EddieBhoy1986

Not playing the way Ange wants us to we won't. You're not just loosing a player who can do a lot of complicated things at once to a very high standard that no one else in our side currently can replicate. You're also loosing a leader on and off the pitch.

You punt McGregor you take the team back about 5 steps from where we currently are. We can't afford to replace him and it will take a couple of years down the line building funds before bringing in a player of that quality because even slightly realistic.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  15. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    CCV might be irreplaceable, considering our budget, nevermind CalMac. A CB that isn't prone to blunders, has strength and decent pace, and can also pass well is * hard to find, if you're not a big team.

16. KG-Henrik

I agree what you’re saying but I wouldn’t take it as far as you describe.

There’s zero chance he’s leaving anyway. I still don’t think any of our players are that indispensable.

EddieBhoy1986 likes this.
  17. EddieBhoy1986

Yeah I'd agree he will be very hard to replace to the same quality within our current budget. His role is a bit more straightforward than Cals so there are quality CBs not too far out of budget around but right now we can't afford them. We would be depending on our scouts finding someone the same or better either on loan again or on the cheap maybe from an overlooked market. But it's far from certain that player exists.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  18. EddieBhoy1986

Fair dos. How lucky are we that we produced a player of Cals quality through our academy and that he has chosen to stay loyal to us all these years? I know it's not lost on Ange.

KG-Henrik likes this.
  19. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    JJ not even on the bench. Defo off in January :-(

20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

THE bulk of Celtic's January transfer work has been done, according to Ange Postecoglou.

The Hoops are looking strong to retain their Premiership crown this season as they sit seven-points ahead of Rangers in the table.

A big part of their success has been Postecoglou's eye for a player, with very few signings under his watch not making an impact on the first team.

Fans will be excited to see what gems he manages to unearth in the upcoming winter window.

The Australian has revealed that nearly all of the planning work for that has been concluded.

He told the media: "A couple of weeks ago, we sort of did our (transfer) planning. The bulk of the work's been done.

"What this time gives me is a little bit of opportunity just to plan for the rest of this year and probably the next summer window."

Hammy89 and Cumbernauld Bhoy67 like this.