1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

January transfer window

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Skelleto, Sep 15, 2022.

Discuss January transfer window in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. PaddyJamieson

Class attitude. I just feel so comfortable with him in charge. Proud of the team and everyone representing the club, the football we play, assured about the future whatever might happen. I trust we could lose CCV, Jota and O'Riley next summer and Ange would replace them with better versions.

Hammy89, Skelleto and Foley1888 like this.
  2. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    I very much doubt that we will get better versions of Jota and CCV. We may buy players who might develop into better versions of them, but will be very tough to bring that quality in.

3. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    I liked what id seen of Devitt from Dundee Utd. Could develop into a very good player. Maybe not ready for our first team, but looks a good technical player

Hammy89 likes this.
  4. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    I’d seen CCV play a bit before he came to Celtic and think he’s gone up levels while he’s been with us. He has improved immensely since being here, both defensively and on the ball. That’s down to playing under Ange and the coaching from the back room staff.

That’s pretty much the idea though, not replacing CCV with his quality, but buying a player that is better than CCV when he started here and developing the player into a better version of CCV.

After Wednesday night, I think we have CCV’s replacement right here in our squad. Starfelt was immense I thought, he looked at home and more natural in the RCB position, especially for first game back. It’s the LCB that needs improvement and I think that’s why we are being linked to a Japanese LCB.

5. EddieBhoy1986

I mean it's all very well saying that but we lost Rogic in the summer and he brought in Mooy on a free who brings nowhere near the same quality to the squad. In the wake of McGregor's injury with O'Riley having to move out of position that is who we are now having to start on the right of our midfield, which is poorer than it was last season as a result.

So I hope that complacency of thinking a mate from Australia on a free was good enough to replace one of our most important players doesn't creep in again.

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  6. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

A good old fashioned box to box mid with an engine and a bit of pace. One that is equally comfortable making tackles as he is making runs beyond the forwards.

Spend decent money there, on a bit of quality that goes straight into the strongest 11. Think that would be enough in this window.

buchanbhoy likes this.
  7. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I think we still need an experienced holding midfielder with pace and physique and enough technique that they can build our play from the back. Yes we have players that can play that role, but none of them excel there, at european level at least. I was hoping Abildgaard would be that player, but from the little I have seen of him so far it doesn't look like it.

There's no doubt it would cost us a lot for a player like that, but I think it's the missing piece of the puzzle we need.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2022
  8. PaddyJamieson

O'Riley was Rogic's replacement - Ange has already implied this. We signed him ahead of time as part of the preparation he refers to. Mooy was Bitton's replacement, and in my opinion he's an upgrade.

9. Foley1888

I think this is the point though and something we failed to do after we reached the last 16 of CL back in 12/13 and had a lot of sellable assets.

It’s inevitable that if we buy players or develop them and they become real good players they will want to move on. What we need to do is ensure we already have replacements in the door or ready to come in, preferably the later and we get good value for them when we sell them.

In terms of individual players we may not get better than Jota or CCV but if we properly reinvest we could spend the fee we paid for either 3 or 4 times over. The issue then is making sure you are scouting properly. Ange is a big part of that given his record so far and hopefully Mark Lawwell can help further this. It should be easier given we now have a clear style of play.

For me right now CM is the area of the park despite the quantity we have, there is a lack of good fits for Ange’s football. This is why O’Riley and Hatate in McGregor’s absence have been flogged whilst we have rotated nearly everywhere else.

Turnbull, Ideguchi, McCarthy, Abildgaard and in Europe Mooy all can’t really play Ange’s system. Also McCarthy, Abildgaard and Mooy are all short term options given age, the fact they don’t seem fancied and contract length. Ideguchi seems even behind those guys so would be as well going back to the J League. Turnbull will only have a year left on his deal and is unlikely to sign a new one whilst he is bit part, January may not be a bad time to move him on if there is interest.

Mooy will feature but In January a proper box to box CM and one other whether it’s a deeper ball playing CM or a creative CM is required. The other I would bring in during the summer, there’s a lot of good CM bosmans out there.

It sounds like we are getting a LCB who is good on the ball. Whether we sign Jenz or someone else that can wait to the summer as another option. However, Yuki Kobayashi coming in seems a good move in January.

I would also like a striker or at least a right winger who can play through the middle. I would have liked Solbakken but he’s off to Serie A. Someone like that would be a good option. A more out and out striker would be Artem Dovbyk.

In the summer I would like us to look at a keeper but don’t see us doing it.

The other position would be right back if Juranovic is looking like going we should bring one in accordingly either January or Summer when (if) he goes.

10. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    I think Oriol Romeu would have been a cracking signing for defensive mid. His position inside out, great pedigree through the Barcelona youth ranks and excelled at a high level.
    I didnt realise he had moved to Girona, wouldnt have been for a big fee either.

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  11. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    So had I and he was solid for Bournemouth. If you look back at my posts i predicted that he would be our best defender. He has a physicality and strength that is unmatched and can play football.
    Like Van Dijk who won dutch young player of the year before moving to us, he was already a player in his own right. Id argue both were ready to take the next step and we gave them the platform on which to do that.

Starfeldt doesnt have the physical presence or dominance and for me would need paired with such a player. I like how Starfeldt has come on after a slow/unconvincing start with us, but if CCV is to leave we will be hard pushed to replace him with a player of his quality. Or a ready made one anyway.

Celtic_Daft1888 likes this.
  12. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    I’d like the same midfielder we where crying out for in summer and a new striker

13. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Partly agree with this. O'Riley was most definitely Tams replacement. I think Mooy was brought in for additional cover and to have the ability to rest players like O'Riley, McGregor and Hatate, who are the first team boys. I wasn't a fan of the signing at the time because I felt we needed a Bitton replacement and Mooy is definitely not that. However, we did sign Abdilgaard at the end of the window and that is a direct replacement for Bitton.

I think Mooy was just signed so we could rest the first team players. Or, to call upon when one of them was injured, like has happened with the McGregor injury. When McGregor is back, he will probably become a bit part player again and rightly so. He is a much better option to have than McCarthy and/or Ideguchi so it makes the squad stronger.

14. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I think what we need to do is make sure that we don't sell our players for bit part cash. CCV right now is worth £20m minimum. Now, I'm not saying we should spend the £20m on a replacement but as a rule of thumb, I would like to see us spend 40 or 50% of that on a replacement.

Can't remember where I posted it but the discussion landed on the likes of Brugges, Porto and Benfica all going into the latter stages of the champions league this season and how we should, at the very least, be making similar moves to them. Watched the Benfica game on Wednesday night and their right back was frighteningly good. Alexander Bah. Done a bit of research on him and they signed him this summer for £7m for Sparta Prague. Now, if we were to sell Juranovic, which has been rumored, we should still be asking for £15m. We could have signed a guy like Bah for 50% of that fee. Don't get me wrong, I know there are other fees involved, like sell on clauses and agent fees etc. However, if we are to really push on and start demanding large money for our players, we need to invest larger sums of money for replacements in the hope that they can kick on and progress the same way these other guys have done. You're just starting with someone who has probably more talent, is younger and has more physical/technical attributes than say JJ.

If someone was to come in for that Bah in the summer next year, you're talking £30m for him. He's been excellent this campaign and it's not like he hasn't come up against decent opposition. Done very well against Neymar a few weeks ago.

AdamRS likes this.
  15. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    It definitely means that we need to continue to invest in our scouting and recruitment. I really like what Ajax have done in the past and now they are in a position where they can spend that bit more on quality like Bergwijn, Tadic, Bassey (still to be proven).

Although Ntcham didnt work out for us, i think we should be targeting the telented youth of some of the bigger clubs and try to complement that with some more established players.

With regards Juranovic.. Iv really not been impressed with him this season and i think you are struggling to get £15m for him. He has to have more of an impact on games for a player of the ability he has shown he has. But i agree with the sentiment that yeah we have to reinvest a good chunk of the amount we take in whilst also keeping on top of our players contract situations and not to lose a player like Boyata on a free after knocking back £8m-£12m not long before.

16. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Hatate is a great player, i think he can play any position in the centre of that midfield. He has shown he can grab and create a goal and for that reason he is the player id have in the petrov role.

I think Turnbulls best position is at the head of the three and unfortunately i think he hasnt been able to stay fit when in form or there has been others in better form, such as O’reilly. I dont see there being a place for Turnbull and O’Riley in the starting XI and i think one will be moved on eventually.

If we sign Kobayahsi it will be interesting to see what happens to Jenz, who i think has come in and done a decent job.

One area we need to improve on is our youth, we should have young players coming through in these positions but other than Vata and Lawal, im struggling to see who might make the step up to the first team.

17. EddieBhoy1986

Yeah I know what he said and I was happy to go along with that before the start of season but as it's progressed it's proven to be niave.

The fact is from January onward last year we had both Rogic and O'Riley in our squad to call on, this year we have O'Riley and Mooy. That weakens us.

Mooy was Bittons replacement was he? Then why is O'Riley deputising for Cal and not Mooy? We are having to move our strongest right AM out of position because Mooy doesn't work in the position he was brought in to cover. But he is also a step down in quality from O'Riley and Rogic on the right of midfield.

Truth be told neither O'Riley or Mooy have hit a run of form like we saw from Rogic last year. Neither see our strikers runs the way Rogic did, neither are able to create goals from nothing the way Rogic did. You can't loose quality like that from your midfield and think an over the hill, unfit player on a free will do.

18. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Ange saying at the agm some of the star players will be sold and might upset some to see their favourites go but it’s all part of the plan to allow the team to grow.

Hammy89 likes this.
  19. horseshoe

The thing about this is it feels different now, in the past when we've let a big player go it feels like we're then scrambling to find a replacement to fill the hole, there was no plan in place. Ange seems like he is genuinely planning a window or two in advance and already has a shortlist being scouted before anyone moves and does genuinely want to build for the future, I'm not nearly as worried about losing our top players as I would have been a few years ago.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  20. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    I’m cool with that, i’m sure we have learned our lesson from holding onto players too long

Looking forward to seeing who we being in ect

Blochairnbhoy likes this.