1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Squad: Who Is Good Enough For CL Level?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Double Dutch, Nov 2, 2022.

Discuss Squad: Who Is Good Enough For CL Level? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    That massively * me off tbh. I don't know if he was instructed to do that but thought at the time he was panicking and reverted to what feels natural to him than stick to the system.

craigtheceltic likes this.
  2. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    Ready NOW
    • CalMac
    • Hatate
    • CCV
    • Jota
    Potential (Age or Through Experience)
    • Kyogo
    • O'Riley
    • GG
    • GT
    • Abada
    • Hacksaw
    • Starfelt
    • JJ (Underperforming, could have been NOW)
    • Turnbull
    • Jenz
    • Ralston
    Nope
    • Abilgaard ('Give him time'..Nope he's * and cannot get into team)
    • Mooy
    • Maeda

Hart's age has him down here on his own, not likely to improve. Bit of a bombscare at times.

Forrest not played enough recently to really know, would be writing off completely few months ago though.. Also Age would have him under potential. Closer to Ready NOW that anything though.

A solid ready NOW CDM would change this team up so much in Europe. Has to be number 1 goal.

NomDePlum likes this.
  3. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson/ Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    We need to realise that we can't buy Champions League quality and can only develop it. Unless we are going to bring in players that have experience but are over the hill. Not sure that is Anges style.

To get experience we need to qualify and improve year on year (As Brugge are doing).

The squad just now won't be the same one that is there next year. Some will come and some will go.

It's a cliche but we need to trust the manager and keep faith in what he is doing. The campaign veered between fantastic play and opportunities to naivete and poor finishing. We have competed for long spells and with better finishing might have gone a little further.

We have 2 players for every position now and the priority is winning the league and getting back to the CL.

4. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    We will not get better, because for every CL quality player we bring in, at least one will be sold. Right now, we are at 4/11. Too few to beat the big boys at their own game.

5. JamesM09

For me, most of the squad is good enough to comfortably compete for third and in a favourable group push for second.

So why didn’t that happen this year?

Two reasons:

1. In attack - Bad luck / the tournament got into our heads.

We all saw the chances we missed and some of the daft goals we gave away. We should’ve beat Shakhtar home and away, we’re the better team.

2. Lack of effort in defensive preparation.

I’ve said it a lot on here but despite meticulous preparation and professionalism, there’s a huge blind spot for Ange in terms of defensive organisation. It’s absolutely chronic - as negligent in this area as Lennon was in many other areas.

I don’t think it’s a philosophy issue, the players we have just need drilled to defend better when under siege. I’ve never seen a group look so clueless in what is one of the easier parts of the game. I’m not saying set up camp for 90 minutes, I’m saying when the other team enjoys 10 minutes of possession we need to competently and confidently defend our half while regaining some energy and frustrating the opposition.

The good news is if we genuinely put some effort into sorting that we’ll go up two levels. If we keep ignoring it we will get even worse.

We are already doing the hard bit which is attacking (again, very unlucky this year) so let's focus on the easy bit.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2022
  6. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    That’s your opinion. I think we will get better, and I’ll say much better.

10/4 Kemosabe likes this.
  7. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    Yeah it was something I noticed tonight. Having said that, there was one he pinged to JJ(?) in the second half that took me by complete surprise.

Wllm likes this.
  8. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I suppose we’ll find out. In theory, becoming better is possible if tactical demands are lowered. But that means adopting some tenets of defensive football.

9. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    My list is much smaller than most folk.

I would say Jota, CCV and McGregor. No-one else has demonstrated it at this level for me.

Jury’s out on Hatate at this level. Hart is fine but doesn’t give us those exceptional moments like Forster and Boruc in the CL. JJ not sure.

10. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    It depends what you mean by “CL Level”. If we’re talking about players that can make us competitive in the competition, as in challenging for the trophy, none of them.

This season’s evidence has shown that we’ve been unable to register a win, despite positive performances. There are players who could improve with time and experience, but what we really need is our main attackers to actually put away their chances.

11. elbhoydo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    This team wasn't assembled for cl football.
    Not many of us really expected much.
    Obviously after the fact there's lots of questions about the squad and how Ange sets us up for these games. Its a learning curve for the whole club and fans on what is needed.
    Hopefully next season with a few tweaks in the squad etc we will see an improvement and maybe an easier group.
    We created plenty but also created plenty for the opposition.
    There are players who i don't see improving for then or who haven't really improved as they should have even in the spl, I'm sure Ange knows this and will do what is needed.

craigtheceltic and Noskeil like this.
  12. Foley1888

This is it for me it’s more about setting the club up to be CL rather than who is CL ready and not.

On the players the answer really could be no one or most of them and everything in between. Greg Taylor optimises that, he has been one of our most consistent good performers this year but his physical limitations could see someone argue he isn’t a CL ready full back. Before that free kick last night Jota was quiet in his 3 games.

Your other point on the squad constantly changing is another good one. I will be surprised if at least 2 or 3 of the current team who we wouldn’t want to lose are still here after the summer. Add to that a couple on the fringes of the team that aren’t highly rated and you are looking at another 4 or 5 new players.

I think there will be a lot of turnover next summer again, outgoings a lot of the boys out on loan are doing fairly well and could get permanent moves away freeing up space for further additions.

For me it’s about those who do remain getting better at what they are being asked to do. Getting it drilled into them how Ange wants us to play as that is very much a work in progress particularly playing out under a press.

10/4 Kemosabe likes this.
  13. Goggzy60

Was talking to the usual mate about who we might look at selling this summer. We came to the realisation that we might struggle to put enough home grown players in our UEFA squad which I believe the rule is 8 currently with a minimum of 4 trained by club.

Without new signings (or sales) our squad would most likely contain.

Hart
    Siegrist
    Bain or Hazard HG
    Starfelt
    CCV
    Yuki
    Welsh HG
    AJ
    Ralston HG
    Taylor HG
    Bernie or New Signing
    Cal Mac HG
    Iwata
    O’Riley
    Reo
    Mooy
    Turnbull HG
    Forrest HG
    MJ HG
    Jota
    Abada
    Sead
    Daizen
    Kyogo
    Oh

Left space for one new signing (Striker) my major thought on it is who’s ready for 1st team football in our youths I think Vata could easily replace MJ in there but no one else in our youths that I think are ready yet.

It is interesting at this point if we end up selling or getting rid of McCarthy Turnbull and Welsh we can’t go out and really sign players without signing home grown players to replace them or promote youth, this is potentially the opportunity for some of our youths to step up.

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  14. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Youths that have been at the club for 2 years since being 15 can be on the b list so not likely to replace on the homegrown for quota as they can play freely from.the b list

15. Goggzy60

Yeah but who in our league would be worth signing to replace any of the homegrown players we may lose for example it wouldn’t surprise me if Turnbull MJ and maybe even Welsh left this summer, that means we would need 3 more home grown players Nisbet could be one but really there’s no one else who stands out, MJ could be replaced with Vata but and maybe Lawal or Dane could replace Welsh but I don’t think either would be good enough yet.

16. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    There.arw not a huge number of homegrown players available l, doesn't need to come from our league though as long as they spent 3 years at alacotroah clubs between 15 and 21 so Ryan Fraser and Ryan Gauld both fit the criteria for example (not saying we run out to sign them but they would both probably be a fit in the team) Nisbet is one I would go for, he'd be a good fit and has the 2nd best minutes to goals return in the league after Kyogo.

I've said it a few places elsewhere on here about how we need to get our talent pipeline going for youth talent in order to support the homegrown quotas. Brexit has led to a lot of younger Scottish players being picked up at 16/17 by English clubs so they won't even qualify down the road as they won't have spent 3 years in Scotland in time.

17. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

I think there’s a good reason we have 17 players that aren’t homegrown, the issue will come though if we buy more non homegrown players and don’t sell any.

The youth will be kept on the B list, only one I could see us adding the the main squad would be Montgomery if Ange wants to give him another shot.

18. Goggzy60

Yeah guys like Gauld make sense but only if Abada or Jota goes. Same with Fraser, we missed out on too many good homegrown players like McGinn we may miss out on Nisbet as well which would suck as I think he’s the best option to add to our homegrown quota.

19. HatsmyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    Don't we have players who are in "no mans land " ie too old for the colts but not good enough for first team. Perhaps one or two of them might get a chance once the league is wrapped up

20. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Right now I can't really think of any, Robertson was the only one in that category really that was of a chance at the first team and he's away. I'm not sure who all else we have in that 20-21 bracket, they are mostly out on loan as is, I'd imagine that those most likely to get a go at the team are Dawson, Lawal, Vata(if fit,) Anderson and Summers.

For next season it will be case of getting loans out for those that will be ageing out of the colts or integration with the first team of they are at that level where they could contribute to 5-10 games