1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Leigh Griffiths

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Vertie Auld, Jan 31, 2014.

Discuss Leigh Griffiths in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

former Celtic and Scotland striker Leigh Griffiths admits his career as a professional footballer could be over, although he retains hope a manager will "pick up the phone".

The 32-year-old has been without a club for five months and is currently training with Livingston.

Griffiths has also opened up to BBC Scotland on the "massive mistake" which saw him "dismissed" from Celtic.

"The longer it goes on I think, 'Is football for me anymore?'," he said.

"I've been without a club for five months now and, although Davie [Martindale, Livingston manager] has said I can come in and train with them, he has said there is no deal on the table.

"I'm still not seeing managers pick up the phone, which means do they want me at their club or is it time to call it a day? That is something I'm still considering at the minute.

"As a free agent you've not got a budget, you've not got a price-tag on your head, everything is still negotiable."

Griffiths admits his career has been something of a "fall from grace" over the last few years.

In the summer of 2017, he was the toast of the Tartan Army as his spectacular free-kicks fired Scotland into a late and dramatic 2-1 lead over England and sent Hampden into rapture. There were goals, trophies and medals aplenty with Celtic as well.

But in the last couple of years there were question marks over his fitness - which sparked a well-publicised falling out with then Celtic manager Neil Lennon - and his career went into decline.

Griffiths, who won seven league titles, three Scottish Cups and four League Cups at Parkhead, is remorseful and in no doubt about his lowest point.

Reports emerged last summer that Celtic and the police were investigating claims he had sent inappropriate online messages to two schoolgirls.

After a full assessment police decided there had been no criminality, but Griffiths admits it was a mistake which led to him leaving Celtic.

"I think that was probably the lowest point for me. I hold my hands up, I regret what I did," he said.

"It went to the right people behind the scenes, from Celtic, the authorities, the law, and I have proved that there was no wrong doing. But for me it is still a massive mistake and a massive regret."

'I can't do anything... I can't go out to the shops'
    After a couple of underwhelming spells at Dundee and Falkirk, the offers in Scotland dried up. It led to an unusual and brief spell with Australian lower league side Mandurah FC.

On a pitch that looked little more than a public park there was evidence of his wonderful ability as Griffiths scored a typically Leigh Griffiths goal.

But there was also an altercation with a fan which went viral. Despite being on the other side of the planet from Scotland, Griffiths claims the abuse he got from the fan was of a sectarian nature.

Nevertheless, he insists he would still be keen on a return down under, saying that "it was the most peaceful three weeks I've had in football".

"Even yesterday, I got abuse when I was training at Livingston. People just standing at the top of the hill wanting to stand and abuse me," he added.

"I can't do anything. I can't go out to the shops. That's the narrative, that's the stigma you have when you're playing with one side of the Old Firm.

"Don't get me wrong, there are plus sides as well. Celtic fans still come up to me and say they miss me, which is always nice to hear. There's always that flip of the coin."

He added: "I've got an 11-year old son who keeps asking me when I'm going to be back playing football again, and it's a difficult one to answer. I just say I'm training as hard as I can and hopefully a club comes calling soon."

2. FranceCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - McGregor, Past - Lubo
    No sympathy - everything that's happened to him has been of his own doing. And, many many times over, not one single incident.

Ryanm1984, Rydo1888* and TheHappyLoss like this.
  3. RiquelmeCSC

I have a degree of sympathy for him and only because I’m looking at it from a different angle. Yes he made all the mistakes himself but it’s only when you reach rock bottom and you start to look up you realise the trail of destruction behind you.

I’m surprised he hasn’t been offered a deal anywhere in the world. Strange one.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  4. TheHappyLoss

Aw Leigh, nearly greeting reading that :fear:

5. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    Learn from it grow up and get on with your life, good luck.

6. Morcombe

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo, Jota, Abada, Taylor, McGregor, the whole team!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing, This Land is Your land, Over & Over, Green, White & Gold, Hampden in the Sun, E
    scored over 100 goals for us, so hope he find his way.

7. Darksel Gold Member Gold Member

It's not really about sympathy or not though, his life is pretty much over. I doubt he can go anywhere or get a job anywhere with the stuff you can find online, like are people wanting to drive him to suicide or something?

8. cammy07

He couldn’t even cut it at falkirk in a full time team against a league mainly filled with part time players. Forget about all the off field problems he has (fitness and discipline issues) he’s just not a very good player and the argument that he’ll still get goals doesn’t wash anymore given he failed miserably at Dundee and then Falkirk.

That snidey wee remark about not being as fondly remembered as Broony and CalMac because they can run further than him is a total * take too. He’s only got himself to blame for ruining his reputation at Celtic. Anyone who scored 123 goals for the club should be fondly remembered but not this *.

Ziggy and TheHappyLoss like this.
  9. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    40 goals in one season - apart from Henrik Larsson has there been another Celtic striker in recent times that has scored that many goals in a season

BigDoggyWoofWoof likes this.
  10. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Daft * never learned from his mistakes. I don't know how many times Celtic bailed him out

11. JamesM09

He’s just one of those really frustratingly stupid people. He won’t even fully understand what’s went wrong or why no one wants him to play for them anymore.

When he’s completely retired and skint he still won’t know what went wrong and will blame everything and everyone else.

In that sense, I feel sorry for him. Life is difficult when you’re just naturally that stupid and the way many people like that get by is they meet the right partner when they’re young, which obviously hasn’t happened for him.

12. stew37

It's a shame. I don't regret the fact that we moved him on; it should have happened before it did to be honest, and he absolutely * it with us. He just seems to make really daft decisions. I hope for his sake he can find something but maybe people just can't be arsed with the baggage.

greengrocer likes this.
  13. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Too much baggage, lots of which became public knowledge. None of it is worth taking a risk on. Him failing in the Scottish championship has screwed him too.

He needs to get out of football, at the very least the guy should have some money to invest with. Concentrate on avenues new.

14. JamesM09

I feel like if he could proper get himself fit again he would be able to do something abroad in football. Maybe not somewhere in the English speaking world.

He needs to move quickly though. He’s not getting younger.

15. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Pretty sure it was rumoured that he blew alot of his money on gambling and Celtic helped pay off his debts

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  16. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    He was probably clearing (at a guess) something like 35/40 grand a month after tax..

I find it incredible that some footballers don't invest in land/properties or that well before retirement. He may have....but probably didn't.....which is mental really..

He's the kinda guy that's probably got his own gaff all kitted out but nothing to show for most of it with anything else..

17. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

He actually said that? Thick wee *.

Got no sympathy for him whatsoever. His "woe is me" act is pathetic. He had everything going for him - starting regularly for us and winning trophies, and Scotland's main man up top. But he chucked it all away through an absolute lack of professionalism and being a noncey *.

And teams have taken a chance on him since leaving us. But he failed miserably in the lower leagues in Scotland. No wonder nobody wants a guy who scored 2 goals in 12 Scottish League One games, given his baggage.

Westlondonscot and Ziggy like this.
  18. Pablo87 Gold Member Gold Member

He did have about 30 weans to pay for :56:

Westlondonscot and McChiellini.. like this.
  19. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    True :56:

20. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I saw on a news feed he's selling his gaff, my guess downsizing because he needs the cash rather than invested well.
    I do understand people have serious mental health issues, but it always comes across like the club tried to support him. He was given time off, new contracts etc which most people in this world with mental health issues don't get. He was given a leg up while he had to try and take on responsibility and he didn't do it and I'm not sure he has yet.

McChiellini.. likes this.