1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Albian Ajeti

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Henrik 07, Aug 12, 2020.

Discuss Albian Ajeti in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    The penalty box striker we’re missing...(said in jest)

Wouldn’t be a starter but wonder if someone like him would have finished some of those chances against Shakhtar and Leipzig if he came on at 60 mins.

Perhaps revisionism but seemed like a decent finisher even though his all-round game was not at the standard required

Artorias and NakamuraTastic like this.
  2. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Nah about 20 yards top left bin

3. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just searched for the goal I’m talking about by watching the highlights of games on YouTube, can’t find it but he is some finisher. Shame he couldn’t stay injury free.

He would of scored a few of the chances we created in Europe

4. the iceman 1888

It was Hibs the goal you're talking about was it not? I'm sure it was at home

Sent from my XQ-BT52 using Tapatalk

AdamRS likes this.
  5. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

He’s * all like Hartson:giggle1:

Hartson was a big bruiser but he could play a bit as well. Ajeti is like a slightly better Kris Boyd with less goals.

bagforlife likes this.
  6. PaddyJamieson

He's *.

bagforlife likes this.
  7. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    There's a good striker there, came in and did well, got crocked, got frozen out by Lennon and then his style didn't fit Ange ball. Agree he would do well in 4-4-2. Plus, the Albanian prez was a fan so we could have shifted a few shirts in Albania (joke!)

8. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I'm not sure if he would have got into the right positions to put them away.

9. EKCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    About 3 yards out, scrappy and went off the defender..

10. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    It obviously wasn’t the game I’m thinking about

11. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    John Harrison type of player? Really? That can hold the ball up, get stuck in and knows how to link up well and has a cracking shot and a big hard * who would run through a brick wall.

What games have you been watching regarding Ajeti?

You couldn’t pick two opposites to compare each other with if you tried.

12. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....

Sounds like the Livi game at home where Christie put him through and he bent it round the keeper with his left peg right in the top corner. Was a great finish round McCrorie..

That scruffy goal at Tannadice was last minute. I remember being down the coast, going in to a boozer early to ask if they'd stick the game on. Goal goes in, packed boozer and I'm going off my nut jumping about missus just looking about embarrassed :giggle1:

AdamRS likes this.
  13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

14. MickeyyMack CELTIC GLASGOW OK Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
  15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

16. Big C

Lovely finish.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  17. Foley1888

Long may it continue and they take up that option on him. That would be £2m I never thought we would have seen for him.

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Albian Ajeti insists he has no regrets over his move to Celtic - but wishes he was given a fair crack at the whip.

The Hoops shelled out £4.5million to bring the Swiss striker from West Ham in 2020 as they went all out for an historic 10-in-a-row. Yet despite making an explosive start to life at Parkhead, the 25-year-old quickly fell out of the picture during a car-crash campaign.

Neil Lennon's sacking eventually led to the appointment of Ange Postecoglou, a manager who has breathed fresh life into the Glasgow giants. Ajeti's fortunes never improved, though, and the frontman soon found himself training with the reserves. Now on loan with Austrian club Strum Graz, it's hard to put a finger on where it all went wrong for the player. He marked his league debut by bagging a late winner as a sub at Dundee United - scoring five goals in his first six Premiership games.

However, injuries and tactical tweaks saw the goals dry up and Ajeti would find the net just once more before the conclusion of a miserable 2020/21 season.

"I'm telling you, I don't know what went wrong really," Ajeti told Football Scotland in an exclusive interview.

"I felt so comfortable and so confident in that team. Obviously, we had a very, very tough year and we lost the title after nine years in a row, going for the 10. Covid was there.

"I think that when I got injured in September, when I came back it didn't really work that well. I still tried to improve and work hard, but we obviously weren't having the results that we needed or wanted.

The former Basel forward had options to leave Celts last term but was determined to prove his critics wrong. He did hit the goal trail in September before falling behind new signings Kyogo and Giorgos Giakoumakis in the pecking order.

"That was the reason I wanted to stay another year at Celtic; I wanted to show everyone what I'm actually capable of," he continued.

"The fans, most of the players haven't actually seen what I'm capable of or what my qualities are because first of all, I haven't played much. I haven't had many starts in both seasons, especially in the second season I had four or five starts [six].

"It was hard for me. I had many good conversations in the pre-season with the manager, Ange. He obviously gave me a lot of confidence throughout the pre-season, I think I had quite a good pre-season.

He never realised it at the time, but Ajeti's final game in a Hoops jersey would come against Real Betis in December 2021. The fringe man was given a rare opportunity to lead the line as a second-string side stunned their La Liga opponents by running out 3-2 winners at Celtic Park.

Although the Europa League clash was a dead-rubber, it would come at a huge cost for Ajeti, who suffered a nightmare hamstring injury that left him sidelined for months.

He said: "Honestly, when I realised I wouldn't play again was when I came back from an injury and I was just training by myself or sometimes with the second team.

"I just realised after my injury I was totally dropped, I was not training with the team, I was training separate most of the time, and that was a very tough time for me."

You could perhaps understand if Ajeti had a sense of grievance towards Celtic after starting just 19 games in two years.

However, the 11-times capped Swiss holds no grudges against Lennon, Postecoglou or anyone else at the club.

He said: "Listen, I can't say anything bad about the club, the history, the fans, my teammates. To be honest, I'm very sad that it just didn't work out as I hoped for.

"I tried very hard, I've been working very hard during my time at Celtic. This is football. Sometimes it just doesn't work out. I had to accept it, it wasn't easy, it was very tough.

"Honestly, I don't have any regrets at all. I will just look back and say it was unfortunate that it didn't work out as they and I hoped for. It's a special club, it's a very special club, I know that. So I'm telling you, I would definitely not regret anything, even though I probably had the toughest time of my career so far, especially the second year. But, I will not regret it."

Ajeti has rediscovered his goalscoring touch in Austria, with three goals in his first three domestic starts.

So, has he totally written off his Celtic career?

"Listen, you never know. I still have two years contract there at Celtic," he added. "I will try and get as much game time here as possible and score as many goals as possible, staying healthy obviously. Then we will see what happens at the end of the season.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2022
  19. honda Gold Member Gold Member

I like him. Just doesn't suit our game one bit. Does seem a bit harsh making him train on his own though. Never bad mouthed anyone unlike some ex-hendrys who think they are better than anyone when *.

20. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    He has a good attitude at least.

neilly1987 and Rydo1888* like this.