1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Aaron Mooy

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Valhalla, Jul 19, 2022.

Discuss Aaron Mooy in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr Cleansheets

Reading this thread is like reading a bipolar diary.

2. Couscous

Haha I was waiting for you

The big Viduka likes this.
  3. FranceCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - McGregor, Past - Lubo
    0.25 - The Aussie Zidane...... :fear:

4. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Wasn’t involved much in 1st half and got caught on the ball a few times but came into well in the 2nd half, some of those passes over the top are sublime.

5. EddieBhoy1986

I don't think that he offers more or better in that position than O'Riley (both lack pace but O'Riley just spots passes and moves the ball so quickly and holds the ball better) and we know that he is a bombscare in CDM for us. But it's really good to know that now his fitness is getting there he is a good option to bring on for O'Riley because that was a big worry for me.

6. The big Viduka

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    Pasty pirlo

FranceCelt likes this.
  7. MAP

Bombscare?

Uh huh.

8. Guchi Gucci Gold Member Gold Member

Like him. Smart signing.

neilly1987 and The big Viduka like this.
  9. EddieBhoy1986

How else would you describe his performance starting in 6 against St Mirren?

10. Mr Cleansheets

Unfairly blamed in my view in a match where the whole team was bollocks.

Shortly before he was everyone's MOTM in the league cup against RC (I think), also playing at 6. Clearly more effective at 8 though.

11. MAP

I went back and watched the first half.

I would describe it as his first start for the club in a fairly stop-start, lacklustre and stodgy (Celtic tv commentators description there at the 42min mark, just before the 1st goal) affair.

I certainly didn't mind his 35min playing at 6.

12. EddieBhoy1986

Well Ange clearly did mind which is why he realised we were being over run in midfield and he was moved down to 8 and Cal put back to 6 (too late in a game that was running away from us for other reasons too unfortunately)

It's also why he hasn't been trusted with that role again.

Also note I said bombscare starting at 6. Doesn't mean he can't do a job in that role as a sub once games are tied up. But he hopefully will never be trusted with starting there again.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
  13. EddieBhoy1986

Then why hasn't Ange trusted him with filling in for Cal? This should have been his moment. We learned after St Mirren that we need a pivot who is positive and sharp and can move the ball forward with one touch. Yes there was more wrong at St Mirren than just Mooy, hence why we conceedee but the fact that was the first issue Ange addressed when we were being overrun and he didn't even wait until half time to do it should tell you something.

14. Mr Cleansheets

Because he's better at 8?

Ange had to get some oomph into the team against St M - and his move made perfect sense. Doesn't mean Mooy was most to blame for that weirdly poor performance.

15. MAP

Really? The manager told you this?

Did you notice that we were so overrun when Mooy was at 6 that the scores were 0-0? You do realise the two goals we conceded were when McGregor was playing at 6, with the second scored after Mooy had been subbed?

Really? The manager told you this too? I don't doubt there is a whole heap of reasons the manager chooses players for different positions. Could it be that he thinks he gets a better outcome (currently) with O'Riley deep and Mooy ahead than the other way around?

See above.

16. Foley1888

I think the role he had at the weekend suited him better than being the deepest midfielder. He was able to drift around and find space between their defence and midfield allowing him to show his range of passing.

I think his lack of mobility is an issue to play at 6 where as a bit like Rogic last year, who more done it with his dribbling where as Mooy did it with his passing was able to provide moments of quality. It will be interesting to see how he fared against different types of opponent though that sit deep domestically where there isn’t as much space.

I don’t think he was necessarily the CM we needed in the summer but performances like Saturday show he can offer something to the team in certain games at least domestically. It is probably a bit unfortunate that all off Mooy, Abildgaard and due to injury Ideguchi have all not had full preseasons or any football really for around 6 months when joining. It may be we see the best of them post World Cup as squad options.

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  17. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    He was much better with Hatate and O'Riley beside him. Thought he done well

18. EddieBhoy1986

Aye you're right he was that impressed he moved Mooy out the 6 35mins in and hooked him at half time and hasn't started him there since even with Cal McGregor injured.

19. PaddyJamieson

He's not perfect and won't ever be because of his age/lack of physicality, but he does bring a lot and has some really unique qualities in his vision and ability to split defences.

I think that's part of his problem: he'll frustrate us because we'll see how good he could be if he had a bit more pace, mobility and sharpness, but he'll never be able to get that. Just got to appreciate him for what he is and the role he can play. He'll never be a CL starter (and tbh I wouldn't have him on the pitch at that level), but he'll be very useful domestically.

20. Cringer67

The Brundle Fly version of Bob Malcom and Charlie Adam.