1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Champions League Celtic v RB Leipzig Tuesday October 11th Kick off 8PM BT Sport 3

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Oct 8, 2022.

Discuss Celtic v RB Leipzig Tuesday October 11th Kick off 8PM BT Sport 3 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. World Champion

At the railroad bar, about seven o'clock.
    Aye we'll it's just no good enough.

2. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    So what about us shipping goals? The fact the team are getting tired after 55/60 minutes plus or the fact we leave ourselves open to counters all the time in Europe.

It’s not working in Europe, if we don’t have the right quality of players to carry out this tactic in Europe he needs to have a plan B.

He doesn’t change anything regarding his tactics.

Ange will get praise when he is doing well and he will get criticised when it’s not.

He is the right person to take us forward as he has done fantastic domestically since he has been here but he needs to learn Europe is massively different regarding the level of player he has at the club.

If he doesn’t change we may as well get used to these results year in and year out and it will never change.

3. TonyTim Gold Member Gold Member

Too many times now we sit behind the " we created chances" "if only we took our chances", What about the goals we concede, what about the constant misplaced passes in midfield. For long spells they had possession where we tried to press them, but they simply passed it around us. We have been found out at CL level, we simply are not good enough and need to face that. Our midfield was non-existent at times when defending, Taylor was our best player, Jenz, CCV and Hart had decent games., defenders, that says it all. Ange is starting to remind me of Clarke and Scotland, being favourable to certain players when quite clearly, they are out of form. Maeda, Kyogo, O'Riley, Abada, players he brought in, is it burnout with them, overplaying? GG comes on against St Johnstone and bails us out but can't get a start, Maeda full of pace and energy but offers little more out wide, I think he offers more in the middle. Abada, young, too much to expect him to produce it every week and is suffering because of it. Oriley, gets into great positions but final ball and decision making is letting him down, maybe because he doesn't have the players in front of him on form. Ange won't change his style in Europe so cant see it getting any better.

Avatar Daizen and gazb1888 like this.
  4. Mr Cleansheets

I disagree. I think his system is working just fine but the strikers aren't delivering on the chances the system creates.

5. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Called it almost to a tee. Shame we couldn't even get the goal you predicted though :90:

6. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Problem is we are conceding chances like mad and teams are scoring them, midfield is all over the joint. In the Europa League last season for instance we scored 3 against Betis but it wasn’t enough.

7. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Brutal

8. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I had been checking on the result before going to bed. I think the first half already showed we cannot control possession against better sides without McGregor. Even with him, we can’t do what Ange wants.

Skelleto likes this.
  9. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Also tonight showed why I'm dreading VAR, that was a stonewall pk, and that's how it'll be used up here, it'll be nothing to see Timmy, move along.

And in the absurd situation that the huns get a legitimate decision going against them it'll be used, * they'll probably get a goal against them in the 90th minute, they'll chop it off because the ball had gone out the park in the 2nd minute.

oh bhoy likes this.
  10. Mr Cleansheets

Yep, that's why we hate it in Oz. The inconsistent use of the VAR effectively gives those with agendas an excellent extra chance to cheat. Even when they use it the decisions can be utterly bewildering.

dbhoy72 likes this.
  11. EKCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Not good enough. Progression can be seen yes, but still not good enough at this level.

12. Smithy

Yes mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    I have not read the the thread as yet.

VAR has a lot to answer for in this game.

Giakoumakis was fouled in the 79th minute by Fredericks. He dragged him back and down by holding GG by his left wrist with his left hand. That was a red card and a penalty. It could have changed the game.

If I could see it on my screen, then VAR should have seen it also.

The referee needs to be positioned accordingly when the linesman is on the other side of the field in that half of the pitch. s
    As it was, both the ref and the linesman were on the blind side of the incident.

That is why we have VAR. My expectations were not met in this game, in the final attacking third, where basic rules of football were not followed. Very disappointed. I had high hopes for this game. We lack sharpness.

14. 88jimmij88

Fav Celtic Player:
    KT
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand old team to play for
    Goals change games. If we took some of those chances and got ourselves in front, it gives us something to build on and we have the option to manage the game more. If opposition have to open up and chase the game, we've got players that are good at hitting on the counter.

15. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    We need to catch them on the break. We take too many passes in the build up and give teams time to funnel back and establish their defensive formations.

16. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    Celtic 0-2 RB Leipzig: Ange Postecoglou's 'high-wire act' in pursuit of Champions League rewards

[​IMG]
    Ange Postecoglou watched his Celtic side spurn a glut of chances against RB Leipzig
    If this game matched the mood, then Celtic would have beaten RB Leipzig with ease.

In the beginning the din was ear-splittingly noisy and then deafeningly quiet as the whole place fell silent in remembrance of the fatalities in the desperate tragedy in Creeslough. Hugely passionate and deeply poignant. It was powerful at Celtic Park on Tuesday.

This was a terrific contest, a Champions League barnstormer, a game that swung one way then the other with chances flowing and a gathering incredulity on the faces of all those watching that it was goalless for so long.

A gathering angst, too. Celtic folk have been in this movie before in Europe. They were in it last week in Leipzig, they were in it in Poland against Shakhtar Donetsk and in it against Real Madrid in Glasgow. Chances created and chances missed.

The longer it went on Tuesday, the more the feeling grew that Celtic were going to pay a price for it. As Leipzig's threat grew, they may as well have played the threatening music from Jaws over the PA system.

Something foreboding was about to happen to the home team. Most people could sense it.

Timo Werner and Emil Forsberg were the sharks in this story, two excellent finishes, three points and a continuation of Celtic's long, long wait for a home group stage win in this competition.

It's been nine years. It might be nine more if they don't learn how to capitalise on their best stuff by scoring the goals they need to score.

From the first minute, when Daizen Maeda found himself in space in front of Leipzig's goal but couldn't find their net with his header, the rhythm of the night was set. Truth be told, it's been the rhythm of Celtic's Champions League season. Profligacy is what's costing them.

In their three games before this one, Celtic had registered 15 shots on target and had just two goals to show for it. Their opponents - Real, Shakhtar and Leipzig - had a combined total of 14 with seven goals.

Champions League football is unforgiving terrain. You miss your opportunities and you suffer - and suffer Celtic did. For all that this stadium is electrifying on nights like this, when the elite teams come, they usually win.

Again, Celtic took a lot from the game. Some of their play was superb, some of their chances were outstanding. They had a real pop at Leipzig, played with ambition but got done by quality and nous, experience and ruthlessness.

After Maeda's miss, Matt O'Riley hit the woodwork, Greg Taylor followed up in the next breath and hit the woodwork, too.

Soon after, Sead Haksabanovic dinked a gorgeous ball into Kyogo Furuhashi running free in the Leipzig penalty area. This was the critical moment. The Kyogo of last season would have buried it. The Kyogo of August would surely have scored, too. The Kyogo of recent times hasn't been banging them in like before and here he put it over.

Both sides had chances when they were still locked at 0-0. The difference is that Leipzig won't care a jot about the ones they didn't convert. Maeda had an opening when it was still a draw, Georgios Giakoumakis had a chance at 1-0. So many moments, so much wastefulness.

Celtic have lost three games out of four but despite their position at the bottom of the table, the margins are fairly fine. Now that they are officially out of the Champions League they'll have a world of regrets and what ifs, a lengthy reel of good goal-scoring opportunities spurned.

Postecoglou sticks to his principles
    Celtic are learning big lessons. What made Tuesday even harder for them was the loss of Callum McGregor, their captain and totem.

Two questions dominated the preamble - would Jota be fit enough to start and, in absence of the talisman McGregor, which one of his defensive midfielders would Postecoglou turn to.

The answer was none of them. No Oliver Abildgaard, no Aaron Mooy, no James McCarthy. Instead, the Celtic manager doubled down on his attacking philosophy, played two creative midfielders as his protective buffers, played three more attacking midfielders ahead of them with Kyogo up top.

It was the most Postecoglou of selections. Not so much parking the bus as jumping on the accelerator and seeing what the bus could do.

Since going into their shell at 1-1 with Leipzig last week, Postecoglou has spoken with a preacher's zeal about the need to see bravery from his players, to see them shake themselves free of what he called the self-preservation they displayed when it was level in Germany.

Having these beliefs in the Premiership, when you hold most of the aces, is easy enough, but carrying them into the Champions League against a team with the weapons that Leipzig possess is quite another.

Putting out such an offensively minded team was a high-wire act from Postecoglou, but it was the manager being true to his principles.

He has no interest in defending his way to a result, no truck with scraping a point or an ugly 1-0 by playing like mad dogs in a meathouse. That's not what he would call progress.

There's a huge inherent risk in how Postecoglou sets up his team in this tournament, but he's prepared to take it in pursuit of the reward.

Again, the philosophy didn't produce the victory, but he'll take that on the chin if it means his players mature in the brutal reality of the Champions League, if they grow on the back of what they are experiencing, if they score when they need to.

They have two games left to secure European football after Christmas, at home to Shakhtar and away to Real. It doesn't get any easier. It's the Champions League. It's not supposed to.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63217667

17. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    I have been watching Souza in games for Espanyol and have not been impressed. Nothing to write home about.

18. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

There’s a lot about this team that needs fixed.

Much better and much more mobile midfielders than Mooy and Turnbull and forwards who can finish for starters.

Kyogo has been miles off it all season if we’re honest. Decent goal return domestically but that’s all he’s been doing, not playing well and scoring.

Maeda, truly shocking in front of goal. Hatate, usually class but * after 55 mins every week. GG, throws himself about well and grabs his goals but his link up play is embarrassing at times.

Our back 4 I’m actually pretty happy with. Get Welsh to * though. McGregor and Hatate, easily good enough but as I said, Hatate is not capable of playing for 60 let alone 90. We hoped pre-season would sort that issue - it hasn’t. We need someone of that standard and mobility ready to come in for him on 55 mins every week. O’Riley has looked good deep imo. Really talented player but is he suited to this system? Abada, young and very promising but far from the finished article and is really poor far too frequently to be truly relied upon.

We need a proper forward and serious midfield reinforcements if we want to kick on. Hacks and Jota are class, McGregor and Hatate are class, CCV and Jenz are reliable as * and our full back areas seem pretty strong. Outside of that we’re starting to see some serious issues that hadn’t quite shown themselves domestically.

If you want to play like we are trying to you need 3 midfield dogs on at all times. We’ve only 2 in our whole squad.

19. Foley1888

See being honest though we don’t really have to, see despite Leipzig having most of the ball we had all bar one of the big chances. For all Leipzig had the ball I felt largely we limited what they did with it.

We don’t have better players than them so that’s ok to me. What’s not ok is constantly missing real good chances, Maeda’s header in the first minute, Kyogo’s header, the one Haksabanovic can’t get a good touch on, the one Taylor has to shoot and tries to square it, then when O’Riley hits the post Taylor has to score, as well as a couple of corners where there was a loose ball in the 6 yard box just desperate to be put in. There were at least 5 instances where we had not good but great chances to score we have to take at least a couple of them but more likely 3 at this level.

The goals we then lost were the usual pathetic gifts that first one especially.

We should have went in at half time 2 or 3 goals to the good. Shakhtar didn’t beat them by outplaying them they took their chances and restricted them.

Leipzig did have chances in the second half but if you have built up a lead it can impact how a game goes. They collapsed against Shakhtar, hadn’t won away from home since April. They wouldn’t have come back from that.

For me there is no way we should have lost that game. Just before they scored Maeda has a difficult chance but again at that level you need to make it count. Then at 1-0 why Mooy doesn’t shoot, O’Riley needs to pick a spot on his finish and pit it low to the keepers right, and then Giakoumakis is fouled for what should have been a penalty.

Yeah Leipzig again had some good chances second half but we had at least 8 real good chances and didn’t even score. It can’t just be on the strikers either as Taylor had two of our best chances and failed to put them away.

20. Foley1888

This for me, we obviously can’t afford him but we badly need a player in the mould of Schlager for them. He is ultra fit, hard in the tackle, good on the ball and has a great engine and awareness of the game. Arguably McGregor is the closest we have but I would say he is more like their other CM rather than what I am talking about.

We are definitely short of compatible midfielders and I was surprised we only signed Mooy before adding Abildgaard late in the window. I thought we may have been in for at least one more energetic CM.

Midfield is quickly becoming an area we need a clear out in luckily a few are only on shortish deals, but the likes of Mooy, McCarthy, Ideguchi (not really seen much but not convinced by what I have) and Abildgaard (again not seen enough but it’s pretty damning he didn’t even get on the park last night). Its also not like that’s one of the areas in the B team where you see anyone even near coming through.

I would also argue despite the wingers we have we don’t have an obvious starting right winger, as Abada’s form is so erratic which is to be expected due to his age but he could do with someone more senior who actually likes playing that side, Forrest isn’t that he is very much a bit part player.

Jenz, looked decent last night but the jury is still out on him longer term for me.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022