1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    I hope he's no just doing the media tour for the Australian games. I hope he's doing some scouting out there too like that young boy.

Noskeil and seanm like this.
  2. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Players have been given 5 days off those not on international duty

Cena likes this.
  3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Hoachy hoachy..

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  4. Cena Never Give Up Gold Member

No bad for some

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  5. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    Has that been the usual under Ange? I’ve noted when we’ve come back from these breaks we’ve been really sharp, so getting a good break probably refreshes their minds.

6. leeso-ardoyne

It's like someone * your misses and you find out about it but then you find out she's been passed around a party everyone having a go at her. Would you take her back. That's how disgusting it would feel to take that tramp back.

Twisty, greengrocer and Rogicisgod like this.
  7. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    :giggle1::giggle1::giggle1:

8. Keano88

I agree.

Bring him and her home!

9. Couscous

Australian leagues are in their off/pre-season, so no.

10. World Champion

At the railroad bar, about seven o'clock.
    How did you find out about us and yer missus?

Twisty and The big Viduka like this.
  11. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Comparing him to Broony is just ridiculous. They are/were both Celtic midfielders and that’s where the comparison ends. Callum is our best player and has been for quite some time. Technically he is the best in our side. To want him benched is insane. Move him up into an 8 and try Abildgaard back there? Sure. He is undroppable and rightly so.

People who suggest he should be dropped would be in for an almighty shock if he were to ever pick up a long term injury once you see the impact that would have on our team. We wouldn’t be dominating Shakhtar away from home or humping the huns 4-0 I can guarantee you that!

Hammy89 likes this.
  12. BigDoggyWoofWoof

You honestly reckon we take that much of a step down without Calmac in the side? I'm not sure what specific qualities you think he brings that can add that much.

13. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Absolutely. He’s a top quality midfielder who I believe would currently stroll into a Man United or Liverpool midfield, for example. He has developed excellent leadership qualities for sure but it’s his close control and ability to keep the side ticking that are his most important attributes. Ping the ball to Cal - it sticks and he quickly moves it on to the right teammate. He’s my favourite ever Celtic player bar Larsson and it’s not even really close.

Hammy89 likes this.
  14. Mr Cleansheets

He'll be at the International tonight for sure.

Quite a SPL representation in the NT right now with Mooy, Strain, Baccus, Atkinson, Devlin, Boyle, plus Rowles (injured).

Hoping Garang Kuol gets on for his debut. Ange will be watching very closely.

Hammy89 likes this.
  15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

16. Mr Cleansheets

"You can hold onto the Celtic gear for a while..."

Yep.

Slaw likes this.
  17. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Aye mate been since Rodger’s. That’s why Scott Sinclair would be in Dubai every international break with his mrs

craigtheceltic likes this.
  18. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    Mind you, most of the squad has been called up, probably only Jota, Hart and Taylor not called up and getting the rest?

19. Patrick Bateman

I agree with you, I wouldn't bench him either. Give Abilgaard a shot at DM though, as he looks useful.

That being said, he's certainly not un-benchable (probably not a word), and not irreplaceable either. I think people go a bit overboard with that sort of talk.

There are legit comparisons with Broony. When Broony was playing that deep sitting role and everyone was heaping praise on him... some of the garbage people were coming out with was ridiculous. Broony was always a limited player, and even more so when he got older and his legs started to go. He was coasting it in that role, because of the poor standard of opposition he was up against. Not because he suddenly became a world beater in the winter of his career. When we played better opponents in Europe etc. Broony became a liability in our team. But many of our fans couldn't see it. (or didn't want to see it)

CalMac is slightly different. He still has the legs to impose himself on games, and obviously has better technical ability than Broony ever had. BUT, his positional sense in that DM role and his defensive instincts are not particularly good. Like Broony, his weak points don't get exposed very often in domestic games because of the standard of opponents. But this fools quite a lot of our fans into thinking he's better all round in that role than he actually is.

Abilgaard looks more natural in that position from the defensive side of things, and obviously also has the physical attributes and reasonable technical ability too. So I would say it's worth giving him a shot in there. More so with a view to the bigger games in Europe etc, where we need to be a bit more solid without the ball.

The continentals call that deep lying playmaker the "regista" like Pirlo etc... but there is a very good reason that these teams always but a Gattuso type defensive player alongside them. Without that combination, you will get exposed against top teams. And teams will target players like Callum when they see those deficiencies in his game. That's a nailed on certainty at the top level. Just like they would target Broony when they realise his legs have gone or he's not as technically good on the ball as he might look in the spfl.

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  20. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Taylor played for Scotland last night but rest have had a few days off back in over weekend

craigtheceltic likes this.