1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Patrick Bateman

Of course it's debatable, that's what forums like this are for... debating stuff. I think what you really mean is, that many people on here would agree with your stance therefor you consider it to be a fact. But it's still just an opinion.

And your basis for coming to this conclusion, is again highly debatable.

It's very easy to critique selections after the team under performs. Everyone is an expert after the fact.

I think the reason people prefer "Ange got it wrong" as an explanation, is because it makes people feel better than thinking we simply didn't turn up or that St.Mirren managed to stifle our system. Which are both also perfectly plausible explanations for that performance/result.

The manager making some uncharacteristic mistakes is easier to understand and easier to fix. The team not turning up/not performing or the opposition manager doing a great job makes things quite a bit more complicated. And makes supporters less confident about the team, because it could easily happen again. So people naturally gravitate towards the most simplistic explanation that is (in theory) easier to rectify.

martin_d and Kiro Kompiro like this.
  2. Patrick Bateman

We should never really be taken by surprise by these things. We should always have a plan in place knowing it's a big possibility in our position.

The really criminal thing with managers compared with players, is that we can't demand a big fee for our manager. I've always thought this was stupid considering many managers are just as important (if not more) than some of a team's key players. If we lose Ange, we'll get chump change for him compared with a young star player.

3. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    When he leave i think we will get another manager from the Citygroup, who will go on to be very successful building on a marvellous foundation.

But Ange is staying long term i reckon.

4. McGrory1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Sorry, but that’s a load of drivelling nonsense.

You said earlier that the St Mirren manager played a blinder and got his tactics spot on. Would you say the same for Ange? Not a chance.

The simplest explanation for our struggles on Saturday is that footballers (and managers) are human and have off days. The reality is deeper than that. The team Ange put out on Saturday could have been better set up to deal with the issues St Mirren posed and it’s naive to think otherwise.

Ange is doing a great job and will learn lessons from Saturday, but he’s not totally off limits to a bit of criticism.

Callum McGregor likes this.
  5. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    We played on Sunday mate.

martin_d likes this.
  6. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I want to see Abildgaard get a run of games, unfortunately for CalMac, Abildgaard plays in the position he currently occupies, football has to be a ruthless environment in order for players to be kept on their toes, let's see what Abildgaard can do now that he's up to speed with the squad after the International break.
    Look, I've made myself clear, I want to see Abildgaard get an opportunity in his best position which is the position CalMac currently occupies.
    * poor patter that
    Abildgaard, Hatate and O'Riley, let's see how it goes

7. celtic warrior

It would be so incredibly harsh on O'Riley as he will want playing so he try get a chance of breaking into senior Danish international side.

But I would drop him see what a midfield of Abildgaard, Hatate and McGregor offers. The only thing is there is "safe" game to try it out in

8. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    This chat about dropping our captain who has had a solid start to the season needs binned.

Abildgaard will be used when Ange feels the type of game or in-match situation calls for it.

9. MJ9 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    The King
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace

You’ve said about 10 times you want him to get a run of games. We get it. But it’s not up to you, is it? And the fact is, for the last year, Calmac has been in great form. Aye, he has a poor game on Sunday but for * sake, the fact you want him dropped indefinitely so a guy I would imagine you’ve rarely seen play and have no clue on his current fitness/acclimatisation to our way of play is * bananas.

10. Gurru 991

11. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    I’d imagine he is on the shortlist of many small/medium sized clubs in the big leagues

12. Gurru 991

I agree.. It's the next step up for him isn't it ?

13. jambo_cfc

Wonder if part of the trip to Australia ange will make a personal plea for the young Australian boy to come to Celtic rather than Newcastle ! It’s kind of went quiet on him going to Newcastle.

14. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Some of the reactions to the first league loss in 38 games is insane.

I get that we aren't used to losing too often but * me. The kinda stuff that would make a manager want away from the club :giggle1:.

The result and performance was pish but its in the past already. Last time we lost we went unbeaten until the weekend. That's the target again and we are still miles ahead of anything else in the country on top form. He made a mistake with the selection and admitted to it, until then he had a near unblemished record. Think where we were a mere 14 months ago. The over analysing is * nauseating at times. We played *, started a B team and St Mirren turned in their performance of the season. Its happened in the past throughout our history and you can be sure it'll happen again.

Minor blip in what will be a title winning season. Those * will drop points again and probably would have if auld Liz hadn't done her legion of followers a favour and dropped deid. Convinced they'd have lost at Pittodrie, we'd have won comfortably against Livi.

Anyway. Sooner the international break is over the better, the fact this loss has been on the eve of a break isn't helping as it's stewing in people's minds.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
  15. Mr Cleansheets

I read an article with some sort of Celtic banner - maybe Celts Are Here - linking Celtic with Garang Kuol - the new Aussie wunderkind (some on here would say the new Arzani). The whole piece was based on Ange agreeing he was a good player. FFS...

Yet another player being poached from my local club (Central Coast Mariners) but he really is a talent. Thing is, we're already pretty strong in his position (forward who can play either wide or centrally) so I don't think Ange will be in the market for him. There also seems to be some weird situation happening with his agent (brother) for whom an arrest warrant has been issued (for fraud) - so that might be complicating matters.

Big talent though. Lethal finisher for his tender years - has a goal for every half hour he's been on the pitch. Just had his first call up for the NT the day before his 18th birthday.

16. ticketyboo0 Gold Member Gold Member

Well said mate!

Mr Shelby likes this.
  17. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    There’s no arguing with him mate, he gets something into his head, he’s the manager, entitled his opinion right enough but nothing anyone says will change his mind, his man Edouard not exactly setting the epl alight wonder if he cares to admit Eddy not the superstar he thought he was

18. World Champion

At the railroad bar, about seven o'clock.
    If he * off will we call him a snake like Rodgers?

19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Superstar Australian manager Ange Postecoglou has opened up on the recent flood of media reports linking him to a move to the Premier League, declaring he is “living the dream” at “a really massive football club” in Celtic – but conceding he is ‘proud’ to get noticed around the world.

Postecoglou is back down under to promote Celtic’s appearance in the Sydney Super Cup next month, the tournament also featuring Everton and Sydney FC.

And he can’t wait to show the Scottish side his home country in their first trip to Australia since 2011.

“It’s funny,” he told Fox Sports News, “I haven’t been back for three, four years. It’s been pretty hectic. But yeah, great to be back home.

I’m really keen to bring the group out here. I’ve been selling the beauty of our country from over there, I think they’ll enjoy it. Especially at that time of the year. We’ll be fit and in good nick and put on a good show.”

20. Mr Cleansheets

Hopefully that puts the speculation to rest.

For now...