1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Joe Hart

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Aug 3, 2021.

Discuss Joe Hart in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    He’s only 34 which isn’t old for a goal keeper- much as I hate to admit Craig Gordon n the rapist ( probably up till this season) are both 40 and arguably still 2 of the best goalkeepers in Scotland

2. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Usually you're spot on mate and I agree with most of the points you make but if we're to have high hopes of achieving incredible things under Ange in Europe then Hart isn't at the level required, he's several levels below Boruc and Forster, we can and should be doing better, he was a good stop gap last season during a season of transition but that's all he ever should have been, we need better between the sticks, as many have said he doesn't pull us out a hole regularly enough

3. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

He should’ve probably saved or prevented the last 3 goals we conceded. Worrying.

4. FrankMcCallum Gold Member Gold Member

Nah, not having that.

No Celtic keeper has ever had to bail us out many times. What makes them great Celtic keepers is that they’ve been there to bail us out when required. Although admittedly there’s only been two in my lifetime.

The point is, he rarely makes saves that are unexpected. As much as I like him, Boruc made more unexpected saves in one leg of a last 16 tie at the San Siro, than Hart has in his entire Celtic career so far.

5. Mr Cleansheets

I think Hart has made a few excellent and important saves in his Celtic career but he's let in some soft ones also.

I've whinged several times about how he should have come for that corner in the first derby last year - it was hit very well but it was close to goal.

Definitely should have come off his line yesterday...twice.

Wee Baldy likes this.
  6. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    For the goals? I’ll need to see them again but I didn’t think that at all, up until this comment, where I’ve thought maybe look again.

The marking on Main at the 2nd when that was a tactic they had all day was shocking, and Mooy’s tracking back at the first was horrendous.

And two players I really like, for the aggression and heart they show being a massive part of it, Ralston for the first, Welsh for the 2nd need to be much stronger and much more aggressive attacking the ball.

7. HatsmyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    If we had big Forster in goal yesterday, the best that could have happened is we'd have dropped two points instead of three. Hart wasn't the biggest problem yesterday.

Dan Breen and steg like this.
  8. Lewis Kerr

His major weakness is coming for crosses. He's often stuck on the goal line scratching his * when he should be claiming high balls into the box.

As an overall signing he's been excellent and he has made some big saves for us. However, this season I feel like some of the goals we've conceded have been avoidable if Joe was that wee bit sharper.

Not a massive cause for concern just yet, but as others have said we should be rigorously hunting a new goalkeeper who can fit the style of play better and can slot in over the next year or two.

9. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    Most keepers know they will usually be given the benefit of the doubt if they just barge their opponents out of the way to get the ball however, big Joe always appears hesitant to come of his line and it has cost us goals. Great shot stopper but I reckon not commanding his box is a weakness that big tall opponents will capitalise on. Mind you, his defenders never helped him out also and I thought we should have started big GG as he adds height to the defence at set pieces.

10. EddieBhoy1986

Wasn't the biggest of our worries yesterday but would like to see Siegrist get a chance to start to keep him sharp. He has proven himself in our league week in week out for a team whose goal came under considerabley more threat than our own ever will, so I consider it a pretty low risk change (famous last words!) that will benefit us.

Mr Cleansheets likes this.
  11. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    He manages his defence well and makes the saves you'd expect of him, which is an upgrade on what we had before he came in.

But he's not got amazing reactions or agility so he won't pull off too many amazing saves or win points on his own like Forster would do, or Gordon when he first came here.

Consistency is key though so he'll do for now.

12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

THE frustration felt by everyone at Celtic after the surprise loss to St Mirren at the weekend would have centred around the paucity of attacking creativity and lack of defensive solidity in their performance, and the three points they never looked like taking slipping from their grasp.

The fact that the defeat meant they fell short of going an entire calendar year unbeaten in the Premiership and stopped that impressive run at 38 matches may have compounded their irritation further.

Joe Hart though is keen to stress that the end of that long sequence without defeat – while desperately disappointing – is significantly only in statistical terms rather than a portent of anything deeper or more troubling for this Celtic team, who he says won’t swerve off their course just because they have hit a little bump in the road.

Taking the match in isolation, the Celtic team were barely recognisable, right down to their grey change strip which seemed to reflect the drab nature of their performance, as well as making it difficult to distinguish their players from those of St Mirren.

What distinctly marked out the home players though was a commitment to the gameplan of their manager, a quality that the Celtic squad have prided themselves on to this point. But the aggressive, attacking football that has been their hallmark was nowhere to be seen, as their dominance of possession counted for little, given how powderpuff they were in the final third.

Getting back to being the Celtic team that Postecoglou demands them to be, and that they aspire to be, will be the immediate aim once the international break is out of the way.

“Look, we are proud of what we are doing,” Hart said. “We are certainly proud of it.

But we’d have loved to be going into a 365th day with it [record] still going, but we are not. But we start again when we come back from the international break.

“Nothing has come to an end. We win, we lose, we keep going and we keep pushing and it’s now onto the next.

Our mindset doesn’t change. We are building something where we want to just keep going and just keep trying to get the best out of each other and get the best as a team.

“That was no different in the game against St Mirren and it’ll be no different when we go into our next game.

“Look we’ve got a guy in charge of us who that is the only thing that he is going to allow. He’s got senior players, like myself. It’s the only way you can look at it.

“You have got to be cool and calm in both the good and the bad and be ready to go again because, if you are not ready to go again, someone else will be.

“We’re not emotional. You don’t see him getting too carried away when we have won however many on the spin.

“It was a tough result for the team on Sunday, tough to take, but we all represent each other and we are ready to push and go again.

“You always want more. It’s just not always quite that easy. It’s not set up for everything to be easy for us.

“We have shown that we are prepared to roll our sleeves up. It wasn’t meant to be against St Mirren, but we go again.”

Humility and hard work, according to Hart, have been the bedrock of the success this Celtic squad have enjoyed over the past 15 months or so, and those qualities will be at the centre of their response to the setback at St Mirren.

It’s the only attitude that you can take,” he said. “Who are you to think you are anything for winning a game of football? You’re not.

“You are here to a do a job, we are here to represent an amazing fan base, the club. And the least we can do is put in effort.

“And whether we do win, lose or draw, we do put that effort into it. It just was not be against St Mirren.

“It wasn’t startling [afterwards] because there was no surprise. It wasn’t like in the game we were knocking on the door.

“It was a tough, tough game for us to get into and, as I said, St Mirren did well.”

The break for international matches is often said to have come at a bad time when a side suffers a defeat just prior to it, as Celtic have. A prolonged period of stewing on both the result and the performance is now underway before the release of a home game against Motherwell on October 1st.

“It’s part of life and top-level football,” Hart said. “You are with international players, good luck to them.

“Hope they stay safe, we get them back and then we go again.”

13. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Needs to sharpen up a little.

He's been at fault/takes some blame for a few of the goals this season. A Joe Hart on game does better than the weekend.

Need to give himself a shake.

But if not, then we have seigrist for a reason.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

AdamRS and EddieBhoy1986 like this.
  14. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    Probably the wrong thread to discuss this but I couldn’t let it slide because I’d say this is one of the things that I see as Mooy’s weakness, his tracking back. I’ve seen him let runners go before in and around the box, like once the ball goes into the box it’s too close to his own goal for his liking. In the air he’s very weak, needs to get up and compete, put the man off by at least going shoulder to shoulder. I wasn’t surprised to see it was his runner that got away.

15. elbhoydo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    :56:reactions by a few for our 1st loss in 39 games is mental.
    People wanting to drop our captain and maybe give seigrest a chance, jesus christ.

markybhoy1976 and Liam Scales like this.
  16. EddieBhoy1986

I don’t think giving Seigrest some minutes is that out there considering Joe has already suffered one bad injury so far that could very easily have put him out the game early doors.

17. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    * me we have some of the most fickle fans on the planet.

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Sean Dyche admits he felt the wrath of Joe Hart when the Celtic goalkeeper was dropped as Burnley's No1.

Hart spent two years at Turf Moor after being binned by Manchester City in 2018 over Pep Guardiola's concerns about his passing ability. The former England shotstopper had endured mixed loan spells at Torino and West Hambefore joining the Clarets permanently - officially ending his trophy-laden career at the Etihad where he won every domestic honour on offer

After starting Burnley's first 19 Premier League games, Hart found himself on the bench as Dyche decided to shake things up following a horror run of form. Dyche - who was sacked in April 2022 - admitted the 35-year-old shotstopper didn't take the news well as fit-again Tom Heaton was restored between the sticks.

He told Ben Foster's Fozcast: "Joe Hart, by the way. Joe's took some heat I'll tell you, but he was a fantastic operator for us. Brilliant. His manner was excellent.

In the end, he was in an unfortunate position. He was playing great for us you know, but we were struggling like mad and the only thing I hadn't changed was the keeper.

"I said to him 'Joe, look, you're the only thing I haven't changed', and he was raging and obviously rightly so! But I went 'Joe, it's my job, it's to make decisions.'

"I put Tom back in, and Joe was obviously thinking 'oh brilliant' - but great operator. But we had Heats [Tom Heaton], Nick [Pope] and Joe [Hart] - that's a good three."

19. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Surprised this wasn't bumped after today tbh.

Severe lack of communication for the goal, and his reactions were so slow too.

I'm not at the stage where I'd drop him or anything, buy I hope he picks up his form soon.

neilly1987 likes this.
  20. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Had a few solid saves today but the dive in the box was embarrassing. Thought that was worse than the OG, which I didn't think was Hart's fault.