1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Jim Craig - Club Ambassador

Discussion in 'The Lisbon Lions' started by Marie, Apr 29, 2019.

Discuss Jim Craig - Club Ambassador in the The Lisbon Lions area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Marie Bookmaker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Them all!!!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    James Philip Craig (born 30 April 1943 in Glasgow)[1] is a Scottish former footballer, who played as a right back. Most closely associated with Celtic, he was a member of their Lisbon Lions side which won the 1967 European Cup.

Honours
    Celtic
    [3]

Lilac Wine and The Prof like this.
  2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

CELTIC Football Club is delighted to announce that it has named Lisbon Lion Jim Craig as a new Club Ambassador. Jim, who will join other Celtic legends Davie Hay, Tom Boyd and Roy Aitken as a Club Ambassador, will represent the Club across a range of activities.

Jim was part of the most famous team in the club’s history, one of the legendary Lisbon Lions who made football history when they won the European Cup in 1967 with a 2-1 victory over Inter Milan. The captain of that team, Billy McNeill, was the very first Club Ambassador.

Jim, who joined Celtic while studying for his dentistry degree, made 209 appearances and scored six goals during seven years with the club.

He made his debut in October 1965 in a European Cup-Winners’ Cup tie against Dutch side, Go Ahead Deventer, while his final game in the Hoops was the 1972 Scottish Cup final, when Celtic beat Hibernian 6-1.

He won seven league titles, four Scottish Cups and four League Cups, as well as the famous European Cup triumph.

After hanging up his boots in 1975, Jim took up dentistry on a full-time basis while enjoying a successful media career over many years. And throughout that time, he and his fellow Lisbon Lions have been much-loved by their fellow Celtic fans for everything they have done for the Club.

Celtic Chief Executive Peter Lawwell said: “We are delighted that Jim has accepted our invitation to become a Celtic Ambassador. He has made such a tremendous contribution to the Club, both during his playing career as part of Jock Stein’s legendary side, and in the years since, along with his fellow Lisbon Lions.

“Jim is a figure who commands huge respect in football, and particularly amongst our support, and we know he will be a fantastic Ambassador for Celtic.”

Jim Craig said: “It is a tremendous honour for me to be asked to become a Club Ambassador, and I want to thank the Club for making this gesture.

“I’m delighted to be joining my fellow Ambassadors, Davie Hay, Roy Aitken and Tom Boyd in representing the Club, and I’m honoured to be following my friend and fellow team-mate, Billy McNeill, who was Celtic’s first Ambassador.

“I know that, wherever I and my fellow Lisbon Lions, have gone, we have always been given the warmest of welcomes from the Celtic supporters, and it’s something we’ve always appreciated.

“It is very humbling to be recognised in this way and I am looking forward to representing and serving the Club in any way I can.”

3. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Legend.

moravcik1888 and jimbobers like this.
  4. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Wonderful dentist.

5. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Remember his son was on her chatting with a few of us a couple years back. Was trying to gauge how popular his da was and didn’t realise the prestige the Lions were held in because he had grown up in OZ surrounded by Rugby. Was fairly shocked and hasn’t been seen since because * were hitting him up for memorabilia or shirts. I just wanted teeth whitening.:giggle1:

jake10 likes this.
  6. jake10

Fav Celtic Player:
    whoever is our new record spend
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go on home british soldiers
    Lawwell will be looking for free dentistry

7. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry

@57.00 mins. An excellent chat between Peter Martin and Jim Craig about the Lisbon Lions. Goes without saying he's a Celtic legend but comes across as a top class guy.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
  8. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Met him last night at Celtic the Musical when he brought on stage the replica European Cup.
    Nice guy.
    Show was excellent too.

NomDePlum and Liam Scales like this.
  9. didyeayepodcast

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Jim Craig is a name synonymous with the infamous Lisbon Lions. The first British side to win the European Cup, the right-back was a driving force in Scotland’s greatest club team. Jim chats to the Did Ye Aye? Podcast about those heroics, growing up in Govan and his career outside of football.

LISTEN NOW

On Apple Podcasts - https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/did-ye-aye-podcast/id1492753175?i=1000579844602

On Spreaker - https://www.spreaker.com/user/didyeayepodcast/jim-craig-full-edit

On Spotify - https://open.spotify.com/episode/3mWw2ZCkd99Nm6YZlBtvhR?si=Na-BM7FLRx-aMUh9dZTGNA

LISTEN! LIKE! SHARE!