1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. EddieBhoy1986

Don't see any need to take Cal out of the 6 position where he has been consistently outstanding, especially not in domestic games.

2. CountyDownFaithful

We’re 2 points clear with only 8 games played.

The points difference doesn’t do us justice because we’ve been a million times better than they *.

But let’s not overreact. Ange knows he got it wrong today and he will learn from it.

The result gives the Huns a bit of hope but still 30 games to be played and I’m confident we will show who has the best team/squad in that period.

martin_d and Daver like this.
  3. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    Ultimately the team selection is Ange's responsibility and he got it wrong today. But I doubt it was a case of resting players or complacency as such. He's been around long enough to know that changing 6 players away from home on a * pitch would be a risk, but I suspect it was more about giving an opportunity to players who had been training hard every week with little reward so far in terms of actual game time. Backfired spectacularly of course, but hopefully will serve as a wake up call that everyone needs to be on it when called upon, which nobody was today.

4. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    There's a time and a place to make changes, this wasn't it, Ange has got most things right, he never panics and we certainly don't have to, off the back of this result.

craigtheceltic, Noskeil and Hammy89 like this.
  5. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Has to take the bad with the good. Cost us 3pts today

Rydo1888*, Noskeil and Hammy89 like this.
  6. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    You're getting sacked in the morning

Twisty likes this.
  7. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Big Ange. Our leader.

Turns out he can have off days same as the rest of us. No worries big man, look forward to having you back after the internationals.

* the monarchy.

8. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I want to see Abildgaard get a run of games and unfortunately for CalMac he plays in his position, no one is undroppable and if Abildgaard performs better in that position then he deserves to play there

9. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    McGregor being dropped off the back of today is * mental

leeso-ardoyne and EddieBhoy1986 like this.
  10. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Why does it have to be about being dropped? Let's just call it rotation instead, I want to see the lad Abildgaard get a run of games, I was impressed with his footage online and what's the point of signing a player for a position if we're not going to give him an opportunity to stake a claim?

CalMac is not a natural 6, he just isn't, his defensive attributes don't stack up highly enough for him to play there consistently

Taylor1 and Lewis Kerr like this.
  11. Daver

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo. A phenomenon
    Agreed word for word.

12. EddieBhoy1986

Cal is our most important player, he controls everything on that pitch for us. Dropping him after 2 poor games (one of which was the fault of about 50 things before you get to him) for a player whose never kicked a ball for us is not going to happen and shouldn't happen. Abildgaard is fit enough to be on the bench and Ange still isn't giving him minutes but you expect our best player to be dropped for him?

George Theodorou and Liam Scales like this.
  13. EddieBhoy1986

Yet playing their consistently is exactly what he has done for the past year and done so brilliantly.

George Theodorou and Liam Scales like this.
  14. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    Ange is not going to "rotate" our captain and best player off the back of defeat, nor will he in the following match against RB Leipzig in the Champion's League. He didn't even rest him in a cup match when he rested practically the entire first team squad FFS.

You've clearly been drinking heavily, which is fair enough. We're all mourning.

15. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Abildgaard is still getting used to how we play and the intensity at which we play at in training, it will take him a few weeks to get up to speed. I expect to see him after the International break, his best position is the 6 so that means replacing CalMac and getting a run of games, it will make CalMac a better player anyway if he knows he's not guaranteed a start every week and has to earn it like everyone else.
    Yet he's still not playing the position consistently well enough in my opinion, especially against opposition of similar or better standard, he's not a natural CDM and never has been

Taylor1 likes this.
  16. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Mate, I want to see Abildgaard get a run of games and his best position is 6, that means replacing CalMac

What's the point of signing him otherwise? Have we just to wait until CalMac gets injured or suspended before he gets a chance?

17. Ipswichbhoy67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    Like he said in his interview team selection was off, feels strange criticising him given some of the performances so far. Hopefully that kick up the * is what we needed to go on another long run of wins, complacency and dropping our level the only thing that can stop us right now

18. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    He'll get a chance as a sub soon enough and we'll see what we've got in him then. He's very obviously not going to start matches ahead of McGregor now.

CalMac's role as the 6 is pivotal to our ball progression and retention, as well as dictating the tempo of our play. You're not just going to throw a new guy in and replocate that. I'm not saying that Cal's the only guy who can ever play that position, but thus far, nobody (Bitton, Mooy, McCarthy) has come close to it, and the quality of our play suffers as a result.

Not necessarily talking about you, but I think there is sometimes this misconception that playing a bigger, more physical DM in that position will add defensive solidity and aerial presence whilst at the same time still maintaining all the features of our play going forward. It won't. McGregor plays almost every minute of every match in that position for a reason.

19. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Look mate, I want to see Abildgaard get a run of games in his best position after the International break, his best position is where CalMac currently plays, that's my opinion and I'm not going to shift on it.

CalMac plays almost every minute of every match because Ange is just biding his time until when it's right to replace him with Abildgaard, competition is good, if CalMac knows he's not a guaranteed starter, he'll up his game even more when he plays

George Theodorou likes this.
  20. Taylor1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I was fine with one or two changes but not six going away to a difficult away ground to a team in form.
    Sure there will be bumps along the way, but today was absolutely predictable starting with a line up like that.
    And I am beginning to get a bit peeved at Ange always shoehorning his Japanese duo into the team,
    regardless of their form, while GG is wasting away on the bench.