1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Rogicisgod

Not good enough and the buck stops with him. Needs to head off to the house of mirrors and take a good hard look at himself after today's debacle.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

2. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Hope Brighton take him....

:ange2::101:

3. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Agree with this. Given our lead in our other games not sure why he hasn't used rotation more. We will have other injuries through the season and need to make sure there is cover ready to go.

4. DEADEYECFC

Fav Celtic Player:
    teemu pukki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    That result gives the scum a massive boost

Sent from my CPH2375 using Tapatalk

5. HenriksRightBoot

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Today's result is not only on the manager. Most of the players didn't treat the opponents with any respect whatsoever, which is unforgivable. We never looked like scoring.

That said, it was obvious he was outsmarted by Robertson. The game just passed Ange by, no reaction to be seen at all.

Massive wake up call.

6. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Should have put GG on at the start of the second half. But even this failure can be a lesson in what players don't work together.

7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

8. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Ange is only human tbf, there will be blips along the way, but it's never good to underestimate yer opponent, even in this * League.

9. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Felt uneasy when I saw the line up. The amount of cnanges made for an away game after only playing once in the last 10 days or so and just before a break was ridiculous especially after losing 2 starters to injury. We couldn’t just rested one off Hatate, Jota, O’Riley, JJ if he felt he needed to and took the rest of after 60 because we would’ve been a couple up at least if they all started. Treated the opposition with no respect and got what we deserved.

ThatBhoyLarsson likes this.
  10. JamesM09

It was a perfect storm of player selection, kit selection, kick off time, determined opposition playing well, weak refereeing and general poor performance from several players.

Let’s take the lesson and move on. We’ll win the next 10-20 games and be 10 points clear.

Rogicisgod likes this.
  11. HatsmyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    I don't think the amount of changes was the main problem. For me it was the changes to the changes.
    They were made too late and were the wrong ones.

For instance, we have never played with two up front. So when GG came on Kyogo should have gone off, or moved out wide.

Bringing on O'Riely for Taylor was just bizzare.

12. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    Made the wrong calls and pretty much admitted to it in his post match interview, onwards and upwards

13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

ANGE POSTECOGLOU says that the Celtic players have to make it up to their supporters after failing to get anywhere the standards they have set for themselves in defeat to St Mirren.

Celtic were outfought all over the field in Paisley, as goals from Mark O’Hara and Jonah Ayunga gave the Saints a merited victory over the champions.

The Celtic manager was hugely disappointed by the efforts of his players as they fell to their first league defeat in 38 matches, and says they must now dust themselves off and use the experience as an incentive to get back on track.

We were nowhere near the levels we want to be,” Postecoglou said.

“Credit to St Mirren first of all. They worked really hard and were really committed to their gameplan. They made it hard for us but we never hit the levels we need to play our football. We didn’t really get going in the first half and then we were chasing the game.

“It’s a disappointing day. We pride ourselves on having certain standards and we didn’t reach those today, and football will always teach you that lesson.

“What has got us to this point over the past 15 or 16 months is having a certain work ethic and certain levels of performance and belief. Today, we didn’t reach any of those, and that was disappointing.

“I just feel for our supporters, because they have got to sit on it for a couple of weeks until we play again, but that’s the responsibility we bear as a collective.

“We have given them some good times, but we’ve disappointed them today and we’ve got to address that the next time we’re out there to play.

“The reaction will be the reaction. You can’t take all the praise as you go along and then expect people just to brush over it.

“We’ve got to take the hits when they come and we’ve just got to get back up and go again.

“It’s a sore one today, it’s one that we’ve got to use the fuel what we need to do next to get going again.”

Postecoglou made six changes to his side from the team that drew with Shakhtar Donetsk in Warsaw on Wednesday night, and he feels that may have been a factor in their disjointed display.

“Potentially,” he said. “You look at everything - team selection, the way you perform. Everything is under scrutiny.

“Irrespective of those kinds of factors, we didn’t hit any of our marks in terms of the kind of football we want to play, the intensity, tempo we want to have in a game. We just never got going.

“That’s the kind of team we want to be and that’s kind of how we assert our dominance on the opposition, by being really aggressive in everything we do.

“We just weren’t aggressive today both in action and in thought. We kind of tried to ease our way into a game of football, and you just can’t do that.

“You’ve got to be at it from the start and we weren’t.”

14. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Think he wanted to play a few of those guys last week before the game was cancelled and was perhaps naive to think he could do the same here away from home and backfired massively.

He can't shoulder all the blame though as the XI he put out were poor individually as well as collectively. Never looked up for it.

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Ange Postecoglou admitted making six changes to his Celtic starting XI could have contributed to the sloppy performance that resulted in the shock defeat to St Mirren in Paisley as he took full responsibility.

The defending champions when down to their first loss just a day short of going a full year unbeaten in the league. Mark O’Hara and Jonah Ayunga scored for the Buddies who earned their first win over the Hoops in Paisley in over a decade.

The likes of Aaron Mooy, Stephen Welsh and Anthony Ralston were all handed starts while Cameron Carter-Vickers and Jota missed out but it was a below par display. Asked if making six changes could have been a factor in the defeat, the Parkhead boss told Sky Sports: "Team selection is on me so if I got that wrong then I got that wrong. It's my responsibility.

“We're looking at it and we didn't perform in any of the areas we wanted to perform in and have been performing in. The performance wasn't up to our levels. The first thing I'll say is credit to St Mirren, they worked really hard and were committed to their gameplan. They made it difficult for us but our performance was nowhere near the level it needed to be.

"There wasn't a lot that was hugely positive about today. Everything, including team selection, was probably not right. We've progressed a lot over the last 15 months but today was a reminder that we've still got work to do.

"I don't need a wakeup call. It's just a reminder that if we don't perform at the levels we do then every team is a potential hurdle. We've coped with that well over the last 15 months but there's always going to be days when you don't and it's how you respond to that that's important."

Postecoglou spoke before the game of his hope for fans to respect the minute's applause for the Queen but there were anti-monarchy chants and banners. Asked about that, he answered it curtly: "We spoke about it on Friday, mate."

16. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    Think they all screwed up today so get them all in tomorrow for training.

17. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Shocker today. Can only put it down to complete arrogance on his part.

Jota, Hatate and O'Riley have been three of our best players this season. "Resting" the three of them before an international break is madness.

Rydo1888* and The Phoenix like this.
  18. SkyeCelt

You don't change a winning team to that extent until you've won the league.

19. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Tbf to Ange the team he put out is more than capable of beating St Mirren. Think today was a bit of complacency creeping into the players mindset which needs nipped in the bud pronto.

A bad day at the office but can't see the result derailing us.

20. scuzzy Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke, KT, Naka, Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    fields of athenry
    Have to admit I watched the first 15 minutes could hardly tell who was passing the ball to whom with the mad colour clash with the strips, and the most boring celtic i've seen for such a long time, decided to switch it off and go back to bed, came on here when I got up and was shocked but not totally surprised by this result today. Looked * poor from what I saw.

However onwards and upwards, it'll be fine, 6 changes lesson learned for ange i'm sure.