1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Champions League Shakhtar v Celtic | UCL | Wed 14th Sept 5.45pm | BT

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Luis1967, Sep 9, 2022.

Discuss Shakhtar v Celtic | UCL | Wed 14th Sept 5.45pm | BT in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Foley1888

That is similar to how I feel but it is with the benefit of the game being played I still feel we will be kicking ourselves.

Perhaps that Shakhtar team are capable of better but the pace of Mudryk aside I thought they were on par with the Ferencvaros team we played last year in the EL.

The main take away is we need to be more clinical for me, that’s 2 games played and we have had around 8 big chances and scored 1 goal (3 vs RM and 5 vs Shakhtar). Obviously we have had a large number of other chances too over and above those big ones and not made them count.

If we had run out 4-1 winners last night it would have been a far more accurate reflection of the game than 1-1.

On the other side we need to stop giving away such cheap goals. Mudryk took it well but it was far to easy in the build up to cut through us. However, we should have really been 2 or 3 up by that point and still missed chances.

I think Leipzig away will be our hardest game yet. Shakhtar had one of those nights against them where it all went their way, keeper howler, big deflection, Leipzig missed a lot of chances and were wasteful. The away leg over there is one I would right now bite your hand off for a draw.

2. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    Well, I would say you might as well eliminate Madrid from the group assuming they will win all their matches.

Leipzig (A) - loss
    Shakhtar (H) - win
    Leipzig (h) - draw

Think Leipzig will have warmed up to their new manager by the time we play them. Might sneak second place. Leipzig v Shakhtar will be the key game outside of ours to determine our fate.

3. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Having Madrid last is a massive advantage. They'll be well and truly qualified and resting players. Players that do play will have the world cup to think about so no injuries wanted. Geniunly gives me massive hope of picking something up in Madrid. Doesn't mean we will win, but certainly levels the playing field a bit more.

Mr Shelby and Skelleto like this.
  4. Big C

We are all disappointed with the result from last night and certain aspects of our play but, oh my * how improved are we from this time last year!!! We are creating numerous chances against good quality opposition and in general we controlled the game last night. I still think we can get 3rd, my fear is Leipzig will be more of a threat by the time we play them, hence why I don’t think we will manage 2nd, but there is a chance.

5. Celticbhoy97

Watched the game back this morning and it’s frustrated me even more honesty we created enough good chances in the game for it to be a hosing…

6. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    The takeaways are what we already know,

We need to take our chances, we create so many but lack the killing edge to finish. We had a lapse during the game that led to a spell of the opponent's in charge, once we got passed that it was pretty much out game for the remainder bar a few counters.

Game management was decent but we did slow it down to much in the last 15 when we should have been going at it a bit more but it is understandable that people were tiring.

Our football is obviously working at this level as we are dominating games for large periods so keep at it. We still have slack moments in defense on occasion to sharpen up on but focus on finishing first.

It's not a performance to be ashamed of but like most it does feel like one we should have won. But a point on the board is not a bad position to be in, if we take 4 off of Leipzig then we are almost certain to be in Europe after Christmas songs into those and play well but finish chances please.

7. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    We really should have won that game. Apart from a 15 min spell in the first half we totally controlled the game and should have won by a couple of goals. We need to be more lethal at this level and I just hope those missed opportunities don't come back to haunt us. Leipzig is now a must win game for us if we want to progress and it's just typical that they appear to be playing better under a new manager.

8. Patrick Bateman

It's interesting at this level, just how many goals come from very direct play.

Despite all our excellent build up play and short passing from the back, it was a long clearance booted down the field from Juranovic that created our only goal. And their goal was a quick move, with very little build up play. We were caught flat footed because of the speed and directness of it.

I noticed Liverpool's goal against Ajax was a big punt down the pitch from the keeper, Jota heads it down to Salah and they score.

9. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    The bhoys need to win, but they also need to read our comments on this thread also.

10. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    No idea mate, don't know Bangkok at all...

craigtheceltic likes this.
  11. Avatar Daizen The Last Hunskelper Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    There's an Australian soap opera called "* yersel big time"?

12. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Actually it is Home And Away:84:

13. CountyDownFaithful

Put off watching the highlights until 5 minutes ago. Delighted with our performance bar a dodgy 10 minute spell after their equaliser but gutted we didn’t get 3 points.

Watching the highlights only confirms why I’m gutted. We created so many chances, GG and Maeda’s chances in the last 5 minutes should be hitting the net.

George Theodorou likes this.
  14. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Lots of bars and clubs on and around the Park Hotel in the city, maybe there is an Irish pub there now. Have not been in Bangkok for many years.

If I was you, I would contact the British or Irish embassy or Consulate . They should be able to give you some concrete answers. They must have employees that follow Celtic and know exactly where to go or what to do to watch these games.

15. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    As long as we keep playing as we are and learn from our mistakes, then this should happen.

We will take 6 points at home against Leipzig and Shaktar, and draw against Leipzig and Madrid away.

That's a total of 9 points without wishful thinking involved. That should get us second place.

16. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    If we do that, and Madrid win the next 3 then we’re through.

Leipzig is a major test under Rose though, Nkunku and Werner on the counter, our biggest weakness, is frightening

17. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    I just dont fear Leipzig that much in all honesty. It's not like they dominated us in the previous encounters, and they were a better side back then, and we are a far, far better side now compared to then.

18. Dip 'n' Swerve

nothing new in europe - we get chances and fail to take them like the last 8 years in europe we need to be ruthless and clinical in the fewer chances we get.

no game last weekend wasnt good for player rust, a game with a win could have helped confidence and anf keep match fitness and sharpness.

In europe especially in the second half, will ange have the tactical guile to change a formation to suit - possible play with 2 strikers etc.. 4-4-2 / 4-4-1-1 etc - thinking kyogo and GG working together flick ons etc...

in europe set pieces and attacking corners are key.

all to play for fingers crossed we get some results against the germans who we dont have a good track record with

19. Dip 'n' Swerve

did they push real madrid close during the week?

20. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    We gave them a much tougher game tbh!