1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I love him. I wish he was my Dad. Thanks for sharing that vid.

Iain Harding and Davbhoyinoz like this.
  2. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    I love watching Celtic play but they frustrate the * out of me at times !
    The amount of chances we create and not put away is unbelievable. I keep thinking that most sides at this level would put those balls in the net each time.

We should have scored 4 goals in that game. Maeda has missed two clear goals in the last two games now.

The passing of that final ball needs to be more measured, some passes are hit with far too much pace to get to, let alone control, the ball.

3. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    Lets remember its only been a year since he joined and we were in an abysmal state! Were only players being Clinical up top from it being Perfect!

gazb1888 likes this.
  4. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    A * translator was part of the problem in the interview last night he should have been allowed to do the inteview without interruption the tv company should have dubbed after

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    Translator clearly took the * towards the end. After Ange having told him to keep it short, he has this massive shpeel at the end, you could see Ange fuming

6. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Correct. It was all about him and he was not appropriate to to the occasion.. Seemed to me he was trying to take the * and get Ange angry so the journalists could have a field day, both with the local press and elsewhere.. I saw Ange on tv being interviewed after games in WC games and in Japan with Y.Marinos FC, so he knows what's normal in such situations.

In Warsaw that was not normal. The interpreter did not know his job. He was too intent on himself and his elaborations in Polish, rather than giving an exact response to what Ange, and previously, Moritz had responded to in the presser, and what was being asked of them. It was Polish, not Ukrainian, he was speaking.

A 20 second verbal response, does not translate to a 60 second translation. The guy was self-indulgent and rude and wanted the attention on him.

Those microphones should have been tested, so they were ok. Ange made sure those up the back could hear him.

Lastly that translator may need to get all that impacted wax in his ears cleaned out, and look for another job.

He is * useless.

7. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    He has told us many times and it should come as no surprise - he hates to lose.

8. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    We need to take the 'whirlwind' out of Celtic in the last third, and replace it with 'composure' because it is clearly our Achilles' heel.

9. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    We just need one good finish. That’s it.

Then it clicks. Then the barriers removed and we know we can. That’s what happens with a young team and inexperienced players at this level. If McGregors shot off the post against Real goes in, we probably get beat 3-1 anyway because Real Madrid but we know we can do it.

I genuinely think Hatate’s going down as an own goal at half time’s part of it. It’s weird but * like that happens in football.

Look at Morelos against us and the sitters he missed constantly, whilst scoring against good teams in Europe. Mental blocks.

10. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    The big thing for me though, is he’s set us up to rely on our own performance and skill, rather than grit and luck. And that’s the reason I’m content despite the annoying sitters, because he’s building us up to be that level as a team. And I think we’ll continue learning to do it, and it’ll click. We’re very inexperienced at this level. We have Hart and Calmac who you could say have it, and Calmac doesn’t even have a lot of that experience, but you can tell that he does.

Jura as well, and that’s down to Croatia and the level they compete at. Playing next to guys like Modric is invaluable

11. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    See the amount of chances we create, if we had a Hooper, Stokes, Scott McDonald type who tends not to miss their chances then we would be an absolute behemoth. Nothing against Kyogo or GG

12. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

McDonald, Stokes or Hooper :56:

Some people are obsessed with that period of time man.

13. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    Hooper i could understand, but Stokes? If he was in this squad i would go bald

PaddyJamieson likes this.
  14. Patrick Bateman

But you do need grittiness about you in this competition too. It's not always enough to be the more skillful team. Sometimes your attack may get neutralized by the opponent or you miss chances like we did.

And naturally, there will be times when we won't be the more skillful team too. So you need to have other dimensions to your play. Other aspects of the game that you're good at.

For example, we were reasonably solid defensively on the night overall. However, we were quite poor for their goal... had we defended better then we might have prevented them scoring and won the game 0-1. That is something many of our fans are neglecting to focus on. So there is room for improvement in other areas, not just merely finishing.

That is obviously taking a hyper critical view of things. But that's the level we're trying operate at here... it's a very ruthless standard of football, where even the smallest of mistakes or lapse in concentration can be punished.

But taking a more reasonable view of things, I was pleased with how we handled the pressure and the composure we showed. It's a big step up from some of the terrible away performances we've seen in recent memory.

But we need to build on this, and give Leipzig a serious game of football in a few weeks. Even if we miss out on 2nd, it won't be the end of the world anyway if we see growth and maturity in the team. If Ange can turn us into a really difficult team to play against, and teams fear us.... there's no reason why you can't continue that progression into the Europa League if that's how the chips fall for us. Whether its CL or EL, having an extended run in Europe is what we need for experience and progression of this team.

I get the feeling Ange is enjoying the experience of operating at this level. He doesn't look intimidated or fearful of the challenge - which is great because this obviously rubs off on our players too.

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  15. Patrick Bateman

In fairness, McDonald was part of the last Celtic team that actually managed to compete reasonably well at this level, when we reached the last 16 under strachan.

Hooper was part of Lenny's team that made the last 16 in 2013 - where we were ultimately outclassed by Juventus.

Both were solid performers at this level for us.

I'm really not sure why Stokes warrants a mention in that context though. :39: He might have had the potential, but never really became a big game performer at this level for us like the other 2.

16. Mr Cleansheets

Loved McDonald and Hooper (Super Dooper Gary * Hooper)...

I think Kyogo is similar to McDonald in terms of sneaking into goal scoring positions but Kyogo has twice the technical ability. Once he learns to to be more clinical he'll star for half a season and then be sold for 40 mill pounds.

17. Mr Cleansheets

As I write the post above...

What are the rules re coaches getting a share of transfer fees?

It strikes me that a potentially lucrative business model is to churn players through a decent club - with the manager taking a cut from every player he develops and on-sells.

Has a whiff of the George Grahams about it (and do not for one instant think I'm suggesting that re Ange), but any unscrupulous * with an eye for a player could make a fortune.

Then again, if something like that kept Ange at the club for ten years I'd be all for it.

18. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

I have good memories of both of them, they both played massive parts in our success over the last couple of decades. But, I would have Kyogo and GG over both of them 100%.

Stokes isn’t even worth a mention:giggle1:

Skelleto likes this.
  19. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The point was that you wouldn't bet against any of those players putting away the chances that came for GG, Maeda and Abada across our 2 group stage games.

20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member