1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Matt O'Riley

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Jan 20, 2022.

Discuss Matt O'Riley in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr. Slippyfist

My Danish is a bit rusty, but I think that says Matt O'Riley has been called up to the Denmark under 21 squad?

2. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Was disappointed with his performance last night, and wayward shooting too.

3. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I love the guy, but I think, currently, his spot is the one up for grabs in the team. Would like to see Abildgaard or even mooy get more opportunities to start

4. Charlielarsson

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Starting on Sunday give him rest and play mooy or Danish guy from start

5. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Yes, agree, defiantly for Europe, would like a look at the new Dane. And then can move CalMac further forward, not a fan of Cal in the DM position.

6. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    See the people wanting him dropped, what do you think he didn’t do well? We’re a fickle bunch, two games ago he was the messiah.

7. EddieBhoy1986

I don't know that he should be dropped but I do think he hasn't impressed in two consecutive and important games so for me it's worth reminding him that he can't be complacent. Just because Rogic is away doesn't mean he is a lock to start with Hatate because we have an exceptional 8 we have been keeping on a simmer sitting at 6 who can step in at any time. Matt has a lot more to give just needs motivation to get it out of him.

Wouldn't have said this 2 weeks ago mind but a lot can change and we have now dropped 5 pts in Europe we didn't need to. Fantastic talent but in need of a firework up his * atm. We have seen how much more we get out of players when they have competition for their place, heck we saw it last year with Tam and Matt.

8. Lewis Kerr

He was very good against Rangers and good vs Madrid too. Against Shakhtar he was just kind of ineffective though.

He's a very intelligent footballer. Always moving around and creating space for others, wanting to play quick one-two's and defense splitting passes. But I think he is on the periphery of games too much and his shooting needs to be worked on in training.

9. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

I thought he played great against Shaktar, can tell he needs a goal for his confidence in front of goal but his overall play has been outstanding.

Compare him to Armstrong and Christies first outings in Europe, he’s streets ahead of them and far younger.

No doubt his place is up for grabs as is every other players.

10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
    Wllm likes this.
  11. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    His pressing against Shakhtar was unreal, he was a major reason that even there manager came out after the game saying how good the press was, think his work off the ball goes unnoticed a lot because what he does on it.

And when he’s not made the obvious chances, or outstanding creativity, we don’t realise quite how much he does even without doing it.

12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Just scored against Croatia

Wllm likes this.
  13. Foley1888

It really sounds like he’s done all he can in those U21 games to try force his way into the Denmark senior squad an assist at the weekend and a goal now.

14. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Denmark ended up losing on penalties

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

His goal

bagforlife, Twisty and Wllm like this.
  16. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    Thank * thought he was injured when I saw name going up

17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Matt O'Riley was watched by Newcastle scouts as the Premier League giants continue to monitor the Celtic youngster's talents.

O'Riley, 21, was on international duty with Denmark under-21s this week and even scored against Croatia as his side ran out 2-1 winners on the night. It meant little in the grand scheme of things with the Croatians winning the Euros qualifier on penalties in the end but O'Riley struck after just 10 minutes to give Denmark a chance.

We told earlier this afternoon how, according to a Danish TV station, a staggering 39 clubs sent scouts to the game to take in the two young sides battling it out, including Rangers. The likes of Bayern Munich, Arsenal and Manchester City had representatives at the game but the Magpies were keeping a close eye on Celtic's talent.

O'Riley cost Celts just £1.5million from MK Dons in January and has established himself as one of the first names on the teamsheet under Ange Postecoglou.

O'Riley recently admitted he has known about interest in him and even namedropped Newcastle as one club he was aware of.

He previously said: “I know Leicester showed a lot of interest in me. I think Newcastle were there too.

It wasn’t like that, so there wasn’t much to think about.”

18. EddieBhoy1986

Fair play to him if he gets the big move he's clearly after in January. He is certainly not being subtle about seeing us as a stepping stone to bigger things. The fact he's actually personally name dropping teams is a bit classless imo but he's doing it in the Danish media and angling for a world cup place so is trying to impress so I can overlook that for now.

But lets be honest Josip was crucified by the support for less.

edit auto correct

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
  19. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Big himself up, get his big move, we know he isn''t a player we are holding on to for many years. So * bless Michael Nicholson and the 5 year contracts, because if Matt leaves anytime soon, we know it should be for big bucks.

Reckon he is likely pushing for the WC squad by name dropping, reminding the Danish manager how big a talent he is, along with keeping clubs interested.

Show up in the next 4 UCL games and have a good world cup, worlds his.

PaddyJamieson likes this.
  20. PaddyJamieson

Aye, I hold no grudges for him wanting a move. He's a clever lad, he came here because he knew it was the perfect stage for him at that point in his career. He'll have his eye on the top, top level and there's no reason he can't reach it.

Leave for a record breaking fee and he'll go with my good will.

Peej likes this.