1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Neil Lennon

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by romeo9535, Apr 17, 2016.

Discuss Neil Lennon in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Remember him doing his pundit when the huns were playing Slavia Prague and he thought it was Sparta .

2. SwissCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Aiden McGeady, Artur Boruc
    Respect has to be earned. You cannot spit on people and then ask for respect. You cannot disrespect Celtic fans who were fairly criticizing you and then think they should pay respect to you.
    It's the same as with this monarchy stuff atm. Some people have zero self-respect and let other people happily treat them *.

3. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    What exactly do you think you need to do to earn respect at Celtic? He has 11 honours as a player and 10 as a manager. Also a major part of reaching a European Final for us.

That’s pretty respectable.

Pogues likes this.
  4. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Hes always treated the fans like *. Even when he was player. Oh they booed me for passing the ball back which was bullshit

5. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    We did do that as well, Lambert got the same towards the end of his time. Used to do my nut in man, cos they were two of my favourite players :56:

Not so much full scale boo’s as loads of shouting about it and groaning.

Tim-Time 1888 likes this.
  6. horseshoe

He had a good record as a player and a manager overall, but in a lot of people's eye he's thrown that goodwill away with his honking attitude in his final season, blaming anyone and everyone and not taking any responsibility for his failings, even after he was gone he was still giving it the poor me act to any outlet that would listen to him, nothing was ever his fault.

Other managers have lost titles with us, some in ridiculous fashion, but would be welcomed back to the stadium much more fondly than Lennon because there was never a lack of respect shown, people have lost it with him because of the way he acted on a personal level, nothing to do with his record.

7. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    He got the job too early simply because lenny went back on what he agreed to do and walked at virtually the last minute, leaving the Club with little choice but to make Ronny the manager and hope he could handle it all. While Ronny buckled under the pressure he at least was able to win the league and then resign, unlike lenny who held on for a pay off.
    This sums up the difference between the 2 of them for me. I will always wonder how it would have worked out had Ronny had that season as assistant before getting the job himself..

8. horseshoe

Looking back now I don't think it would have really worked unless Ronny had serious backing from the board behind the scenes, his more modern take on diet/fitness/training compared to Lennon still not really giving a * about it a decade later would have been a pretty big clash in attitudes. Ronny had a hard enough time with cliques in the dressing room leftover from Lennon's time in charge taking it on board, how much worse would it have been if he was still there encouraging nights out getting pished after games.

9. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

The fact the board appointed someone with Ronnys attitude to the things you rightly point out tells me they were aware of this and that a change in "practices" was felt to be needed. However, as you say, would they have backed Ronny sufficiently when these clashes happened ? that is something we wont ever know. The other thing that would have added to the problem, for the board/Ronny changing things, is back then in many fans eyes lenny was viewed much differently than he is now.. so many would have backed lenny in any fall out.

10. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Aw definitely agree with that, respect can be lost but acting like he hasn’t done enough to earn respect at Celtic is bizarre. He’s one of the most successful people to ever be involved at us.

11. Lewis Kerr

Why does this man still generate so much discussion on this forum. Its * bizarre

12. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Maybe because he's a bit of a * off the field

13. SwissCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Aiden McGeady, Artur Boruc
    Football-wise I have to agree with you. But for me repect has always also something to do with how you behave in life in general.

When I hear English people speaking about the footballer Gascoigne he seemed to be a pretty respectable player. But I just know how he behaved off the field and take that into consideration.

But it is personal what you include in the status respectable.

And I might also have to say that when I became a Celtic fan, Lennon's career was already going downwards and he made the team rather worse than improved it.

Liam Scales likes this.
  14. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    It wasn’t just Lennons effort that acheived those things though he didn’t do it all by himself football is a team sport as far as respect goes he doesn’t get any because he’s not a decent human being never was only turned a blind eye to it because he was winning the rumors that have went about from ex pros to ex team mates about him at horrendous

Guys a * meister who’s more interested in a swally happily through his friends under a bus for example Alan Thompson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seanm likes this.
  15. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I like burds and a bevvy, suddenly wondering if I’m a * :56:

StPauli1916 and littlekennie like this.
  16. JamesM09

You’ve fair set yourself up there Tony. Proper got to the byline and cut it back, unmarked in the box.

Liam Scales likes this.
  17. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Helluva way to find out you’re morally bunkrupt liking yer hole :56:

JamesM09 likes this.
  18. leeso-ardoyne

I would never judge anyone ever on a rumor. Im about the bush to much to know there's always very snide, jealous rotten people about in this world that love nothing more than to gossip and create stories about people to run them down because they are doing so well for themselves. Even seen it with people who aren't even doing well. Just some horrible * out there who love to either make things up or exaggerate things to make them worse than what they are! I see it all the time and have even been on the receiving end of them like most people. If you've any sense, you should stop believing them untill they are proven without any doubt!

Screenshot_20220916-200846~2.png

Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
  19. Patrick Bateman

O'Neill always seemed to have a lot of time for Lenny, and he seems like a decent guy. That's good enough for me.

NakamuraTastic and eire4 like this.
  20. Pogues

What a lot of bollocks. Get this * so far to *. * bless Neil Lennon.