1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    I'm already bricking it for when ange leaves.
    He needs a protige to shadow and coaches to breathe his philosophy all the way down to youtu level. Have the never stop, liquid football, mantra always.
    It'll be a truly sad day when he jets off to pastures new.

You'll see real tears....none of this faux "counterfeit" tears.:ange:

2. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Ange is not poor. He will stay at Celtic and be involved in CL each year and making a name for Celtic in Europe as a club to respected and feared.

He will not get that if he goes to the EPL, even though he may be paid very well., Teams like Everton, Notts Forrest, Leeds Utd etc, would love to have him but it would take a lot of time to make them super clubs again and down south they have mongrel mentalities in regards to allowing managers to create a team and to give them time to do it.

3. Mr Cleansheets

You've not been paying attention, Cobber Dingo Blue.

4. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    If they try and take ange WE * INVADE SOUTHERN ENGLAND. Ange is ours
    upload_2022-9-9_23-36-34.jpeg

Wee Baldy and Mr Shelby like this.
  5. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Ange leaving a packed Parkhead with 61,000 fans each fortnight ? Will not happen.

6. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Agree. He has initiated change in Scotland also, with some teams in the league now also choosing to play out from the back.

Jeannie960 likes this.
  7. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    I also agree. Roy Hodgson also did very well in Scandinavia in his early career and went on to manage bigger clubs later on and is very well respected as a manager.

8. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Rumour at the time was that the decision had been made weeks before that Ange would be replaced for the WC finals in Russia with an other high-profile manager similar to Hiddink previously.

The Oz press was baying for his blood when he decided not to play with a flat back 4 after two away drawn games and this was a show of a lack of faith in his tactical choices. He did not take kindly to this or the sense that Football Australia were going to pull the rug from under him once he had the Socceroos qualified to play in Russia, after leading the team in an arduous marathon series of qualifying games to get there, in the most trying of climatic conditions.

He walked instead of being pushed. The public saw this as a betrayal because they wanted him to be in charge, and with the team in Russia. Ange however was not going to be anyone's doormat for a second time in his career, and chose to walk away on his own terms rather than deal with that level of disrespect.

There were people in Australia, both in the press and in positions of influence who wanted to see Ange fail in his World Cup lead up games to the finals. He did not fail.

He was the best person to take that squad to the finals because he knew their capabilities, but he was not going to plead for the job, cap in hand. Nor was he prepared to be sacked for being successful.
    '
    A Dutchman was hired to take the Socceroos to Russia. He knew 'stuff all' about the team and gladly recieved the pay cheque. Bad choices of line ups and not using Cahill effectively saw the team under-perform at the World Cup that year.

You do all the hard work and your finished project is about to be taken away from you, after all the emotion and stress you have gone through, plus the physical hardship involved and absence from your family and the loneliness of leadership, especially for the away games. He walked away with grace and did not ruffle any feathers publically.

The back up staff and players would have been gutted as well. That's what happens when arseholes start interferring with your work and try to get attention on themselves when not having actually contributing on the journey to qualify.

At the time I was gutted when he resigned and felt deflated. At the time I was not aware of the back story as I am now.

9. Rogicisgod

I've just been reflecting on Angeball in the wake of the Real defeat.

Real really ran them into the ground. I read the players covered 10km more than their counterparts. No doubt this was a factor in the 2 goals in 5 minutes period of the match that proved decisive.

It seems a major missing collective quality is touch under pressure. Several times players missed their target, gave the ball back and were forced to run themselves ragged to get it back.

It will be interesting to see of Ange can bridge this gap in quality through either squad depth (if they are fresh they might hit their targets more accurately) or player development.

It might be the one thing that stops Ange from making a splash in Europe. I hope it doesn't. I am starting to think that you don't get these qualities unless you have the biggest of bank accounts. I really hope not but yeah that was the difference Real once they settled picked us apart with skilful passing and superior first touch running us completely off our feet.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

10. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Benitez has had his time in the sun and its now waning.

We need players on the pitch to rally the boys and keep them focused when we concede a goal so we do not cop more.
    We are used to winning domestically, so we need to shrug off a goal in the CL when we concede and keep up the pressure all over the pitch and go for the win.

11. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Chelsea would be best to go for the italian guy who managed Man City when Balotelli was there. Perfect for their playing profile. Is he the Italy manager now ?

12. The big Viduka

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    I will reassure you right now. He will build a dynasty at Celtic. He will not jump ship * no chance.
    Definitely at Celtic next year 100%

Creativecelt likes this.
  13. The big Viduka

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    :57::57::57::57:

14. The big Viduka

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    George , teams have been playing out from the back since Jesus was goalkeeping for Jerusalem

OziBeerMan and Peej like this.
  15. OziBeerMan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    Yep, you nailed it. Ange has a ‘project’ with Celtic and that is European success. Continued success. You have him for a few more seasons yet. But, he will go once the project has been completed.

Creativecelt likes this.
  16. PaddyJamieson

I agree on the fitness point, Real Madrid are the elite of the elite and the last 30 minutes controlled the game and made us chase it, exhausting ourselves even more. We still have a ways to go to be as fit a team as Ange wants, I reckon, but we're getting there.

On the touch point, I completely disagree. For me Tuesday evening was, maybe alongside Bayern and Man City at home under Rodgers, the best performance by a Scottish team in the CL, in terms of us trying to play the continental giants at their own game. Our one touch passing, ability to play out from the back and keep the ball was absolutely incredible. No doubt Ange will want that side of things to improve, and it will (just think how far we've come in 12 months), but I still think Tuesday was as good a performance playing proper brave attacking football against the giants as I've seen from a Celtic side.

Only thing that was missing was a bit of clinical finishing. It will come.

17. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Mancini? I think they've went for a very good young manager who knows how to play good football. If they give him time, he could very well end up getting them challenging. Really like Potter.

George Theodorou likes this.
  18. Rogicisgod

Fair point re the first touch. You are right there were some brilliant passages in the first half where Celtic pinged it around and out of the backline and even through the middle thanks for the reminder.

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is why Real had so much possession? Ange ball is all about pressing to get it back. The players definitely pressed but they didn't get it back often enough and when they did they didn't keep it as long as they usually do against domestic teams. Just tiredness you think?

I am thinking skill gap must be a factor too.

19. HatsmyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    I think most of what happened on Tuesday night was down to the fact that we were playing Real Madrid.
    Hower in my opinion, some of it was down to the fact that we KNEW we were playing Real Madrid.
    Some of the small errors and hesitations wouldn't have happened against a lesser side.
    Whilst we seemed to play without fear and play our own game I think at times the players let the fact it was Real Madrid get to them.

craigtheceltic and Rogicisgod like this.
  20. Rogicisgod

Yeah I reckon there was a few nervy mistakes for sure good point definitely a factor in my opinion