1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic v Real Madrid

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Sep 3, 2022.

Discuss Celtic v Real Madrid in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    Said that to my mate whilst we were watching the game, I've watched celtic teams in the past playing defensively/on the break and getting ruined by teams in Europe, that last night (score aside) was good to watch.

gazb1888 and McChiellini.. like this.
  2. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
  3. singer61

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ynwa
    Wasn't on here last night as was nervous as *. I thought we played well to 65 mins ....no sorry played brilliant to about 55 mins lost bit momentum but bit more composure In front of goal would have netted us at least 2 goals. They are a class team but lucky they weren't 2 down to us In the first half . I think against rb and shaktar we will do very well.
    Think second place will be ours

gazb1888 and Skelleto like this.
  4. BigManSmalls

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Just woke up. Head * killing me. Night turned into a mad one.

Proud of the team but I think am gonna die

5. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Might have been posted already so apologies but is there any links to watch the full game?

6. CountyDownFaithful

Just came on to ask the same thing. Would be good to rewatch that first half, some of our passing and pressing was unreal.

NomDePlum likes this.
  7. OziBeerMan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    Can’t watch a match without a drink. I’m mean look at my profile name :60:

8. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Looked back at the game today and noted some positives.

We played very well but did not take our chances, especially in the first half.

We can't play these games in the same way we play in Scotland against teams that park the bus against us so that we try to break their defense by attacking down the wings to get behind them. We need to use the spaces outside the box when they open up.

The teams we play against in the CL will not feel the need to 'park the bus' against us and will try to take the game to us and beat us. Case in point against Real Madrid. Abada had the ball quite a few times in the first half on the right and his main intent was to shoot from there or cross the ball to the middle. If he had lifted his head up and looked up we had players in the middle creating space in the hole and between the lines with space who were not man marked and he could have passed to - O'Riley, Hatate, Giakoumakis, facing the goal. If they had the ball more often in that area and early, they would have had more hope of shooting from there. Look at the half again and you will see what I mean. Hopefully we can take advantage of that in the other CL games.

Calmac and Hatate had cracking shots from outside the box, especially Reo from 35 yds out. Hatate's passing and vision was excellent on the night. Calmac was everywhere - what a player !

Maeda in the second half was standing, but could not choose which foot to use to score with that cross to his feet at pace. However GG was moving forward and would have had the better chance to meet the ball properly to score if the angle was different. If Kyogo was in Maeda's place that would have been a goal - I have no doubt.

I hate Lundstrom. He is line for a real kicking soon, the *.

Real Madrid have players who have played together for many years and know each other's game and where to find each other. They move with the precision of a Swiss watch. They are excellent in transition. I see this young Celtic squad doing similar things and having the same skills within two to three years as long as they stay together.

Looking forward to the game in Poland next week and our first CL win.

Skelleto and honda like this.
  9. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson/ Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Outstanding performance, certainly for the first 50 odd minutes. Desperately unlucky not to score in that period and a goal may have made a difference. The energy from the players was always going to be hard to continue for 90 minutes and against such a good side we eventually succumbed.

3.0 was a defeat but not a hammering. We now know that we aren't far away from competing at this level, which we haven't always done in the recent past.

Couldn't fault anyone on Tuesday night and the fact we all stayed behind to applaud spoke volumes.

Really excited, and hopeful that we can get results against the other 2 sides in the group.

10. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Are you an Aussie Notorious ?

11. Lewis Kerr

We definitely deserved something from that game. It was a shame we couldn't get a goal because we had 2 or 3 very good opportunities to score but lacked the clinical edge.

I'm proud of the team regardless. Still frustrating that old habits crept into our play, particularly after the first goal when our heads went down and we immediately lost a second. The game died at that moment and it's something we really need to sort out because it's frustrating as * the way we lose composure and lose a game in a matter of minutes.

At least we had the guts to play our way. On another day we would've scored a couple and maybe taken a point or three. Give me that all day over defensive, anti football we used to see under Strachan/Lennon.

OziBeerMan and Leone Naka Fan like this.
  12. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    You wish :p

13. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good

Not to worry mate, we will do them in Madrid in front of their own fans ! Even sweeter victory than in Glasgow- :)

14. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

See there’s folk on Twitter greeting about clapping Modric off and swapping scarfs with fans after the game.

Am I alone in not minding either? I wouldn’t actually clap Modric off the park myself but I understand respecting one of the best players you’ll see at CP. It’s happened plenty of times before.

It’s the people that turn up for their first game in years because it’s Madrid, don’t add to the atmosphere and then clap Modric that would do my * in.

Then swapping scarfs after the game is no issue either. Emphasis on after the game. We aren’t Rangers, you don’t have to have an atmosphere fuelled on hatred.

15. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Unless we draw them in the later rounds, that'll be the last time that player sets foot in our ground again. I see no issue. That's what the champions leagues about. Watching the best and trying to beat them, no giving them hate.

Forestbhoy66 and MacEwan like this.
  16. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    Dont know why this is still a thread, we got beat. People still creaming themselves over Madrid, it was a defeat, a game we arguably should of at least got a point out of.

This is why Celtic park is turning into a tourist attraction for visiting teams, yes it was nice to have euro champions there but we start putting these games on the mantlepiece when they don't need to be there. Yes yes atmosphere, fans were great , hit the bar etc but 0 * points. when we start beating teams of this calibre then worth glorifying every aspect of it.

17. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    No problem with it at all. In all honesty find it bizarre anyone does mind it, but guess each to their own.

18. HatsmyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    Somebody once said " show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser"

Whilst I can relate to that, we were beaten by the better team.
    We haven't run up the white flag, although I think another team did.
    We lost but we respect the team that beat us, but will still try to beat them next time.

NomDePlum likes this.
  19. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    You don't know why we've still got a match thread up 4 day's after we've played the European champions at the top table...with no weekend game..

Shut up you manky hun *. You've been hoaching for age's..

Keano88 and honda like this.
  20. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Maybe in performance on the day - which is exactly why people are proud of the effort.

No way we should be taking anything from the European champions realistically though. Loads of us would’ve believed that we could do something, but you’d be daft to go into that game expecting anything.