1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. BigDoggyWoofWoof

I know, I raised my eyebrows at that as well, but he did walk it back a bit. We should never be backslapping after a 3-0 loss but I get where McG is coming from. It's nice to be back at the races.

Damnati likes this.
  2. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    12 months ago if you'd had told me we'd play like that for a good 60 mins against Real Madrid I'd never have thought it was possible.

We've come a long way in a short space of time and that needs to be remembered.. but he won't stand foe the glorious failure stuff. I'm actually annoyed we didn't manage something out that game tonight as I think if one of those chances go in we do that. And that says it all.

We do need to be more clinical though and I think there are still some gaps to be plugged tactically. For me Abildgaard needs to come in for the away games ideally.

My biggest gripe is we lost 2 goals in under 4 mins. That's throwback celtic in Europe and seems to be a common theme for us...quickfire killers that take the air out of not only the players but the crowd. It needs to be stopped..I think our style allows us to be countered easy, as admirable as it is.

3. Jamesy Bhoy 7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll Never Walk Alone/ Fields of Athenry
    I think he's gutted because he knows it could've been so different if we took our chances, was no doubt drilled into the players that we had to be clinical and unfortunately we weren't although this season in general we have been.

4. PaddyJamieson

I agree with everything but am a bit hesitant about the highlighted part. For me you can compare tonight with Bodo and the tactical improvements are clear as day. The midfield is so much better balanced now, we know when to press and sit back when required. Tonight for me was really all down to taking our chances, which we didn't do. Tactically I think we were spot on and I see huge, huge improvements in that department from even 6 months ago.

johnfife1959 likes this.
  5. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Oh it definitely was. But I still think that there's gaps there and a naiveness to us at times. The losing 2 in 4 mins kinda shows that. Despite the quality of them qe really had to regroup and keep it at 1-0 as long as possible and who knows.

Ange even hinted at that himself. The next 4 games will be a bigger marker of where we are at. Two sides whom, if we are realistic of doing anything in not only the UCL but the europa, we should be looking to beat.

The Phoenix and PaddyJamieson like this.
  6. PaddyJamieson

Aye, we lost composure after they scored, which is a long-running problem for us in Europe. I agree that the next 4 games are the real marker. After tonight's other result it's vital we get something in Poland next week.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  7. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Ange had been complaining about missing chances since start of the season got away with it because we create so many against the smaller sides in league only time I’ve seen is be clinical as in a 1.5 conversion was against the huns every other game this season so far we have wasted just as much as we have scored and it hit us in the * tonight and hopefully we learn from it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Samsquanch

He has totally galvanised this whole club. Would rather go toe to toe and get pumped rather than sit in and hope for the best. Amazing how we are feeling right now as opposed to 18 months ago.

johnfife1959 likes this.
  9. Ipswichbhoy67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll never walk alone
    Even ange knows tonight was a huge vindication that this team and this style can step up to the best. With Rodgers we were a hiding to nothing against the elite.

Can see us giving Shakhtar a right doing next game I really can

Big els, boylebhoy95 and Samsquanch like this.
  10. murphy88

Aye tonight was nothing like a Rodgers type performance. Under Rodgers, we passed the ball between centre halfs and keeper and then didn’t have the quality to move it through the thirds. Tonight we moved it with purpose against the best in Europe and caused them a fair few problems. Proud of the way we played for a chunk of the game tonight, but can’t help but wonder what might have been had we gone ahead, which we deserved to do so.

Taz and Samsquanch like this.
  11. Taylor1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    It's back to the drawing board for the Shakhtar game
    No.1 lesson. Be more clinical in front of goal.
    I know why Ange took Abada off at HT, probably to protect Abada.
    But I felt it was a mistake. Abada has the confidence to keep hunting for goals.
    I am sure he would have converted Maeda's opportunity.

Mystic Penguin likes this.
  12. Mr Cleansheets

You can see how gutted Ange is.

Ghod help Real next time...

Rydo1888* and Samsquanch like this.
  13. Taylor1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Suppressed anger there from Ange. And no wonder, all those missed chances.
    There is going to be a lot of plain talking with the players tomorrow I feel.
    No punches pulled.

14. wulliebad

This guy can take the team anywhere he wants provided the club can find the money for him to build a team. One part will be selling some of our better players for big amounts of money and in the past we sold for 15-20 million and replaced with 2 million player. That has to change to fund the team Ange wants to build. There needs to be progress every summer or he will be gone.

Mystic Penguin likes this.
  15. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Rodgers teams didn’t defend in the CL. We let teams have the ball and waited till we had a turn. Hence the skelpings. This team defends all over the pitch, there’s a stark difference.

16. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Yup, I can - with crystal clarity too: in 14 months it’ll be Nov. ‘23 and we’ll just have sealed passage through to the last 16 of the CL. :57:

Hammy89 likes this.
  17. JABA

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Actually a bit more nervy about Shakhtar than Leipzig. These guys are playing for their country at war and they will raise their game considerably I think. They already have, if last night's result is anything to go by. I remember Iraq in the 2007 Asian Cup wining it against all odds. They were in a similar situation and it added immensely to their motivation

Leone Naka Fan and Kiro Kompiro like this.
  18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

ANGE POSTECOGLOU admitted the first goal was crucial as his Celtic team went down fighting against Real Madrid in their Champions League opener.

Vinicius Junior, Luka Modric and Eden Hazard all found the back of the next at Parkhead, but the Scottish Champions had numerous first-half chances and should have really taken the lead.

Madrid’s Champions League experience paid off in the end, but Postecoglou was impressed with how his team competed against one of Europe’s elite clubs.

He explained: “I thought the first goal was always going to be crucial. Up until that point thought we were well in the game.

“We created opportunities and handled their threats really well. We caused them some problems.

“When their first goal went in I thought we lost our composure a little bit. They have the quality to punish you.

“At this level, you aren’t going to get too many chances. Those are the fine margins, and they are good enough to capitalise on those.

“If we got the first goal it would have made us comfortable in the game and made them uncomfortable. It would have required Real Madrid to take some risks.

“They controlled their game really well after they opened the scoring. We had to chase the game a little bit, which then inevitably gives the opposition spaces.”

Praising the Parkhead atmosphere, Postecoglou added: “I think this is just a very special football club.

“The fans showed that again tonight, why this club is so special. Our responsibility is to give them a team to be proud of and a team that can compete at this level every year. For us that is our aim.

“As I say we competed well, we had our moments which we didn’t capitalise on. That is something the boys will learn from.”

19. Mr Cleansheets

Tuchel just been sacked by Chelsea. Already hearing Ange's name proposed.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get *!

20. Mr Cleansheets

Graham Potter also.

Much better.