1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Josip Juranovic

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by GavCFC1, Aug 21, 2021.

Discuss Josip Juranovic in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    My argument for JJ would be that going forward isn't just about goals, crosses and assists. Juranovic is better in other phases of attack IMO. He often bursts forward with the ball through that inside right channel to get us on our way. He's more composed with the ball and also offers significantly better link up play overall with the right winger and number 8.

Thinking back to Hatate's second goal in the February match against them last year, with all the quick passing and interchanging of positions, JJ is suited to those phases of play, whereas Ralston is not so much.

Both different and great options to have though.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
  2. EddieBhoy1986

I remember a particularly lovely back healed pass to Cal after he blocked a cross and took the ball of Barasic so it's not like he was giving him free reign.

3. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    It depends what you mean by more composed with the ball, better first touch and better on the turn with it, but Ralston’s passing is far more composed and creative, on any part of the pitch, he overlaps more and he also carries the ball forward. No surprise I’m in the Ralston camp but yesterday, Jura was * excellent, everything he did was pretty much the peak of what I expect of him.

His covering was excellent, his positioning and ball retention, carrying the ball out of the defence was brilliant, his tackling/interceptions the same. I expect pretty much zero end product from him in the final 3rd so wasn’t too bothered by that.

4. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    It stood out bcoz the 1 I mentioned about Taylor he didnt even attempt to get out and close down Tavernier. He holds his ground bout 10 yards away from him, roughly inbetween 6 yard box and edge of penalty box

5. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Barisic whipped in 4 dangerous balls from which they should have scored at least 1. Would you place any blame on Jura for that? I thought he played well but maybe gave Barisic too much space.

martin_d and gazb1888 like this.
  6. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I think that’s Abada’s worst thing about him, he rarely doubles up. He defends on the front foot a lot, and Jura was isolated because of that and I thought he coped very well.

I think some of the balls Barisic whipped in was quality balls from little space tbh.

VT8, Slaw and McChiellini.. like this.
  7. Gazzi79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hart
    Hope he's ready for Vini Jr!

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

8. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Thought he was arguably our "worst" player yesterday. Still had some good defensive actions and passes etc, but he let far too many crosses come in from Barisic - one or two should have ended in a goal. And his final ball/shooting is * awful at times.

Love him but he's a total enigma of a player.

Damnati likes this.
  9. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    I agree with this. We have to stop these crosses coming in.

This was a factor a few seasons ago with Lustig - two crosses in particular killed us.
    One being the cross for Kents goal at CP, th other being the AEK away goal the boy drilled from the cross from the byline.
    On another day, Colak heads one of Barasic crosses in. Its the only time they threatened.

10. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    For me, Jura is copping it unfairly in here. We man mark and hand players off. In other words, players won’t always be in the position they are supposed to be because our game is so fluid involving rotations.

The cross that everyone is talking about, where people think Colac should have scored, it wasn’t even Jura marking Barasic, it was Cal who was marking him. Cal had been handed Barasic and Jura had taken the inside defensive position that Cal normally takes. So it was Cal’s fault that cross came in.

Later on, Abada was on Barasic when a cross was sent in. Jura was doing a great job on Kent and had him in his pocket all game.

Later on again, Jura had been left Kent and Barasic, he’s never going to get tight on Barasic because then he’d slip Kent in behind. The cross was easily dealt with by Starfelt.

Just because a cross comes in from that wing, doesn’t mean Jura is at fault, our system is so fluid in attack and defense, it requires players to be able to pick up positions and to be able to cope. This is in part why we are seeing another level this year, players are getting a more rounded game and stepping up levels in roles that would be considered unfamiliar to them.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
  11. PaddyJamieson

I thought it was clearly the tactics set out by the manager to be narrow and compact - we did the same at Ibrox in the game we won 2-1, forcing them into cross after cross without any space in the middle. We did the same on the right side it's just Tavernier was absolutely shocking and could barely beat the first man.

12. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    For me, he done well, kept Kunt quiet and was springboard for many of our attacks. Felt he was left isolated a tad by both MOR and Abada.

EddieBhoy1986 and Pogues like this.
  13. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Love him and his cheeky wee smile :giggle1:

But I am missing Ralstons mauarauding runs and just pinging pinpoint crosses in all over the shop a wee bit.

JJ defo contributes to the overall system better though imo.

NomDePlum likes this.
  14. Pogues

This. I thought he played Kent well yet again, in fact Kent never tries to take him on now.

The barasic crosses were not solely down to JJ.

Dan Breen likes this.
  15. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Nutmegged Juranovic on the halfway line first half and that was it really..

Juranovic really does play him well due to being as quick, if no quicker than Kent. That's where Ralston struggles in that one as he doesn't have the pace of Juranovic and can be done one on one by him..

Agree with those saying the crosses were mainly because Juranovic was one against two but even then....he played well overall..

16. Foley1888

I thought he was very good the one for the Colak header was McGregor who dropped Barasic.

Jura went to Kent and McGregor was over but standing spare saw the run and opted to leave him, if he had stepped across he would have intercepted the ball down the line too him.

His general use of the ball was mainly good, he could do with sharpening up his crossing but his application and approach to games like that just oozed class.

They rely so heavily on Kent for any creativity and Jura just shuts him right down and gives him very little more often than not. He also starts a lot of attacks from winning turnovers and accelerating away from his man.

Ralston had a very good game against Ross County and I would probably start him on Saturday to rotate a few between the CL games. I also think Ralston looks leaner, fitter and faster than last season.

craigtheceltic likes this.
  17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Another international call up

Well done big man

craigtheceltic and NomDePlum like this.
  18. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Think he's going to use Juranovic for the league and save Ralston for the cup games.

Looking forward to seeing Ralston tomorrow night then :fear:.

Doogs. likes this.
  19. EddieBhoy1986

Brilliant tonight more than proved why he is our starting RB.

Ryanm1984 likes this.
  20. LloydsGamble

I actually thought he lacked a bit of composure at times, which surprised me.