1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Worst place you've visited abroad?

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by Callum McGregor, Aug 16, 2022.

Discuss Worst place you've visited abroad? in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Not abroad but Great Yarmouth, worked out of their for a while and its an absolute shithole. * still live in the 70’s down there.

2. Bernie Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky, Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song ... There can be only one !
    Yea mate it was. Done the 2 Caribbean cruises with TUI. Quite an eye opener with some of the places we visited.

3. Doogs. Lustig your the one, you still turn me on.

Govan is literally 2 miles from me and I feel like I’ve stepped back into the early 90’s any time I’m down that way.

Maestro 08 and CookieMonster like this.
  4. Gil-Scott Heron

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    This seems to be one of the most accepted truths anywhere.

When I was on my travels across the world, LA was on my itinerary, and anyone I spoke to told me to expect to be disappointed.

They weren't wrong.

As soon as my friend and I landed we had a real bad vibe about it. Just couldn't get around the feel that it wasn't a very nice place, so we went down to San Diego to see if it was any different and was like going to a different country. Even the backpackers there told me that LA was a dump.

We had to go back to LA a few days later to meet his girlfriend and we stayed in Hollywood.

That was an eye opener. One of the biggest surprises I ever got.

It was filthy, seedy, and crawling with very dodgy characters. We stayed there for 3 nights and didn't go out after sundown at all.

paulie walnuts likes this.
  5. Buster

Got a last minute East Med from Corfu (inside cabin) for £600 each..........far superior and more civilised places docked and shorter flights

6. Bernie Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky, Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song ... There can be only one !
    I've done that one I'm sure, is that Venice, Dubrovnik, Montonegro, Slovakia? If so it's a class cruise and that's a great price. Wheres that flying from?

7. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I went to Yarmouth and I kind of enjoyed the 70s vibe. I wouldn't want to spend more than a day there mind.

8. Creativecelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current Team:Kyogo; Invincible Team: Brown; Seville Team: Larsson; Burns Team: McNamara
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Various
    I thought Vigo was quite lovely. Reminded me of the west coast of Scotland strangely. Great castles, cool fish market, and a fun island off its coast to visit. I was out there on a free jolly for work.

9. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    I was there in March of this year as part of a cruise. The weather was * which didn't help and I only ventured along the front which I thought was quite run down. It was just my first impression m8 and it may be a lot nicer away from the cruise terminal and sea front areas as you have said.

10. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Tangiers

PaddyJamieson and Bernie Bhoy like this.
  11. Creativecelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current Team:Kyogo; Invincible Team: Brown; Seville Team: Larsson; Burns Team: McNamara
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Various
    Aye we were on a traditional old school schooner and escaped to the water, it was lovely. Did a beach bar for drinks and that was fun too. Maybe it was the fact the trip was all free and they were showing off all the best bits of the city and surrounding area.

Wee Baldy likes this.
  12. jj81

Bulgaria

13. Buster

Always from Glasgow

Corfu, Malta, Sicily, Naples & Rome

Booked a week before departure

Bernie Bhoy likes this.
  14. Paradise88

Spent 2 nights in Miami, loved it. Went back a few years later for 10 nights. Found it really underwhelming and overly expensive. Okay for a weekend if heading off somewhere else.

15. 7bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    john hartson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    Kuwait,,I was on my way to Thailand on Kuwait airlines bought a couple of bottles of vodka at Heathrow,,there one hour stop over in Kuwait,,but there was a problem with the plane so had to stopover for 8 hours,,they took us to a hotel.going through customs I was pulled over because of the vodka,,,you would of bought I was bring in 10 kilos of weed,,had a big argument with the officers,,was took to a room and strip searched and threatened with 3 years in jail,,,I decided not to say any more,,,they let me go ,,I was taken to the hotel. had something to eat ,,looked over and there was some bloke drinking a bottle of bud,,I couldn't believe it,,he told me you can get them over there I picked up 4 bottles,,necked the 1st one and nearly threw up ,,they were Non alcoholic!!!!!!!,,,,

Buster likes this.
  16. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Has to be Grimsby & Cleethorpes. (Not abroad) I was unfortunate to spend a weekend in this toilet bowl. I felt I was transferred back to 1979 with net curtains and tacky ornaments in the windows. Place was so run down and time has stopped. Used to be a rich town because of fishing but that industry is *.

I see people saying Paris, London, New York. Been in all these cities and loved them as I am fascinated with City Life and all the downsides that go with them. I must have been lucky not to get ignorant people in Paris. The one striking image of Paris was when I seen a homeless man walking down the Champs Elysees past GUCCI with his mattress on his back and no shoes on. It was a really windy and wet day and the first time I’d seen someone not wearing shoes because f their situation. As I say fascinating but wrong.

I also loved travelling around NY in the subway. You see all the crazy * there. Don’t know if I’d fancy doing it currently as the subway crime and pushing on tracks has gone through the roof. Every city has an underbelly but you just keep your wits as best you can.

Abroad I would say anywhere that gets too hot. Been in Portugal about 15 times because I love the country and people. However a couple of holidays there when it was a steady 35° daily was like * on Earth. Having to tell the kids they can’t go to the pool or the beach and having to stay in the apartment.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2022
  17. Buster

Staying in Rome, basically in a woman's own house she rented out 2 rooms and she put a city map out on the kitchen table to show us how to get to places. Told us not to go near the area around the train station at night warning us "it's a very dangerous place!!!" only to get told "aye yer ok luv, we're fae Glasgow"

bagforlife likes this.
  18. CarmunnockBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
  19. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
  20. BigWilly The Wildcard Gold Member