1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Aaron Mooy

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Valhalla, Jul 19, 2022.

Discuss Aaron Mooy in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Couscous

I know Paartalu was huge, but I'd call him a finesse player (by A-League standards). It was all about his passing.

2. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

Where exactly do I, and the thousands of others that are advocating adding a cdm,say I/we are more qualified than the manager?

And the only mention of "hard men" has come from you. In your snidey wee attempt at condescension talking about " Scottish fitbaw fans(tm)" and "hard * breaking legs".

Just to clarify I wasn't actually making any point other than calling you out on your feeble smartarsery, but I'll make a point for you now. Even with Scott Brown in the side we managed to get through the CL qualifiers on at least 3 occasions I can think of. Quslified from the group stages on 3 occasions with either Neil lennon or Scott brown/Victor wanyama, beating the likes of Barcelona and man u on the way. Qualified through europa league groups on 2 occasions, winning home and away to lazio with Scott Brown in the side. It wasnt all failure and history is one of the best tools to learn from.

Even the biggest sides in Europe make effective use of cdms, including the last 4 CL finalists. If we are to make any impression in Europe we should be giving ourselves every opportunity to do so including having the options to vary our gameplan and provide variations in our personnel while not having to shoehorn players into positions thst arent natural to them. More importantly it's likely that the games against the hun will decide the league this year and we simply can't allow our midfield to be bullied in the manner it was at times last year.

Can you get those points?

3. rudebhoy67 Gold Member Gold Member

:56:

4. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    On the topic of a DM, a lot of us don't necessarily want a "hard * to break legs".

However, the fact of the matter is, if you look at our squad on paper the one thing missing is a trustworthy, defensive minded midfielder with some strength and physicality.

For me, any quality side needs that in the squad..not necessarily in the team every week. But as a minimum, there as an option.

I dont know how anyone can't see that. Its * all to do with Mooy either really, it's still needed regardless of him being here. Some people seem to be taking offence for no reason.

If you had watched us consistently in Europe over the last decade since Wanyama left, you'd again see why it was needed. Emphasis on the "if" there, as for me a lot of the people saying we don't need this, clearly haven't watched us for long enough.

5. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    I mean Jedinak as a anchor in midfield was pretty key during Ange's spell as Australia manager..

If I remember correctly.

6. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    He seems to have used 2 defensive mids regulary as part of a double pivot in his title winning season at Yokohama too.

7. DdoubleD

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Lol, * could barely get into the Aberdeen midfield last year. While Aaron Mooy was MoM getting his country to a world cup.. Yeah you really a daft *

AussieGreek and gazb1888 like this.
  8. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    By all accounts he really wanted Souza this year though. There’s a balance to having a presence that can break up attacks and effect further forward as well.

9. James Gold Member Gold Member

Was I watching a different team in Europe last season was it not Ange in charge I think as obviously others do we need a cdn ideally a wanyama type for me. The games against Bodo were an embarrassment even against Betis away as much as we played well it was a case of glorious failure in Europe ... Again.

Even looking in recent history our success in Europe has came with solid players in midfield we got to the last 16 with Robson and Hartley I like both but neither are world beaters so it's Defo not out the question to think we need a cdm

10. gazb1888

Oh I loved Broony, but glad to see no more sideways or backward passes anymore..

DdoubleD likes this.
  11. Paradise_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    it’s not out the question but the betis away statement is a bit * Ange wasn’t long in the door team wasn’t upto speed Ajeti up front etc. we maybe need a CDM out and out most of the big sides have a good CDM playing

12. James Gold Member Gold Member

I only use it to prove a point it's by no means to bash the manager.

Exactly Fabinho Busquets Rodri and Casemiro all play those roles for the best in Europe and it doesn't hinder how they play as a team. I'm not saying for a second if we do get a holding mid we'll be going toe to toe to Europe's elite obviously we're a million miles away but it would definitely help us to have one especially if we manage to get in to the Europa

Liam Scales and AdamRS like this.
  13. Couscous

You're right. I'd ignored the Australia team. I loved Jedinak but I do wonder whether Ange would have signed him (club football).

14. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I mean, you should really make sure your sentence makes sense before you call someone a daft *, you illiterate *.

Liam Scales likes this.
  15. Mr Cleansheets

The fans constantly moaned about Jedinak in his fading days (passing was dreadful), but Ange kept picking him - maybe just for his presence in the dressing room and his incredible penalty record. But he's not what you'd call an Ange style player (as Ange's style has evolved). Souza may well have been interesting (and multi-faceted) but probably able to do an Ange job.

16. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    I don't think he would have. I know Jedinak well having watching him week-in, week-out with Palace, and for all his strengths (aerially and defensively, he posted some of the very best stats for a midfielder in Europe his first season in the Premier League) he was pretty ghastly on the ball. He was an incredible leader though and Australia weren't blessed with talent at that time (or now lol) so where Ange probably wouldn't have gone out of his way to sign him for a club side, given the comparative lack of talent available to him, Mile was a key part of his national side.

I remember watching a friendly against England where we had quite a lot of possession and passes, and one thing that stood out was that in possession, Jedinak was quite stationary, whereas everybody else was making runs or showing for the ball. So despite passing being the weakest part of his game, Jedinak barely if at all gave the ball away, because he wasn't asked to do much expect make simple, short passes to teammates who were finding space.

It's similar with Tim Cahill btw, who at 35 wasn't exactly a prototypical Ange striker, but like Jedinak, Ange used him to good effect for the national side, tweaking his system and style in places in order to maximise Timmy's strengths.

17. truedub1916

Lads ! Remember your Celtic fans, having a chat about a Celtic player. Should never get to this stage
    Steady it lads

Wee Baldy and Couscous like this.
  18. Heb Celt

This place has changed.

Dannybhoy81 and Dan Breen like this.
  19. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    That guy is a * helmet. He’s been a * to most folk on here at one stage or another. * him.

HoopyT likes this.
  20. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Correct. It saddens me when I come on here and read Celtic fans ripping into each other.
    Majority of time its about a preference of one good player over an equally good player.
    Be pleasant just to park it

Wee Baldy and truedub1916 like this.