1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Aaron Mooy

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Valhalla, Jul 19, 2022.

Discuss Aaron Mooy in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Everythings going well for us, people will find stuff to complain about if it’s the last thing they’ll do in that case mate :56:

PaddyJamieson likes this.
  2. aussiehoops

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    Probably around 240

3. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    3 and a half games or so that mate. As it goes, it’s not much of a bigger scale.

I’m absolutely on board with this, and I’m delighted with what I’ve seen of his cameos so far, and think there’s more to come but right now, nobody knows exactly what to expect from him. And if guys like you, who’s seen him at his absolute peak a lot, are expecting that Mooy, I think you’ll end up more disappointed than those not knowing what to expect.

What it looks like to me though, is Ange trusts him implicitly to do what he wants him to do. And if that’s an old head to come on and calm a game down, see it out, keep the clean sheet, I’m insanely happy if that’s all we get from him. If we get the all action Mooy when he’s further upto speed, then we’re onto a * winner. Either way for me though, we’re onto a winner I think. He’s a good addition for Ange’s plans.

Draupnir, Mr Cleansheets and Wllm like this.
  4. aussiehoops

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    That's just in the last 18 months as you asked. Admittedly, it's actually more likely in the last 2 months (his games for Celtic and Australia). What I didn't include was the time I watched him play for Brighton, Huddersfield, Melbourne City and Western Sydney Wanderers (where he broke out as a deep lying playmaker).

I think you may have me mixed up with some other Australian posters. Have a look back at my initial post in this thread (and what I have said to you in DM's). I'm also absolutely on board with Mooy. I think he can bring a lot to this team, and I think he'll be perfect for what Ange wants him to do.

5. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That’s why I specifically asked the last 18 months, because that shows you what he is at the moment. He’s not going to be the guy he was at Huddersfield and it’d be unfair to expect him to be that. I know you’re on board mate, I’m pointing it out to you and others that know the player that he has been throughout his career that arguing that he’s still that guy, with the surety that you’s are, is one way to get get people who were unsure thinking that’s what to expect and I don’t think we’ll see that from him.

We’ll see an experienced pro that offers a lot to the team, whereas the Mooy at Huddersfield at us, we would have seen a star.

aussiehoops likes this.
  6. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Think he will do a job for us, will turn out to be a decent piece of business, low dollar all round too.
    Diet game on Sunday would be ideal game to see him for an hour, push Cal forward, thats unless Reo is fit.

7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I really think everyones being harsh as * on Turnbull now man :56:

Dan Breen likes this.
  8. Mr Cleansheets

We're still going to see a star. It'll just be a different star.

Mooy is a lot more measured and subtle than he used to be and some fans will take a while (I suspect) to appreciate his game. For example, the pass he played which eventually led to GG's goal - some just saw a 15 metre pass.

What they didn't see was the number of sideways passes just before it and the comparative jog with the ball, which suddenly changed with a quick surge of acceleration which won him half a metre on his marker, and enabled the ball forward to a player no-one had bothered to pick up because they (already beaten I know) were probably expecting another sideways ball (as he looked like he'd been closed down).

Anyone who's watched Mooy for years will tell you - that's a standard play - and it often leads to chances. Wouldn't work without all the easy passes played before it.

craigtheceltic likes this.
  9. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Mate, calm down. I know you're enthusiastic about Mooy and I'm sure it's a big deal in Australia but stop over analysing every little thing he does.

He's done some good things and he's done some not so good things. He's fine. He will be fine. He's not going to be any more of a star than Forrest or Welsh or Siegrist for me though. He's not taking the place of any of the 4 midfielders in front of him (McGregor, O'Riley, Hatate and Turnbull) and I think he will get even less game time when we have Hatate back in the squad. He's done fine. Nothing spectacular and nothing overly *. He's done basic things.

Talking about little bursts of pace and forward passes like it's somehow unheard of on a football pitch. I'd expect every single player to be doing that. It's just the way we play our games.

Also, the weird comparison for his forward pass in the build up to the GG goal and Taylors pass to Maeda for the first. That's laughable. That pass Mooy makes is probably made about 15 times a game between our 2 centre backs and McGregor. Taylor pinged a ball in between two defenders, onto the running line of the fastest player we have, on a * pitch.

I get your excited about Mooy. I'm happy enough with what I have seen so far because I don't expect much from him anyways. He's a guy to come on and keep the ball while we rest the better players and he's done absolutely fine at that so far.

10. PaddyJamieson

:56: Mate, this is a bit OTT. I get it you're excited he's here but there is nothing spectacular or extraordinary about the movement you describe. You could break down and describe any number of 100 movements like that throughout a game. McGregor does what you describe above about 30 times per match.

FranceCelt likes this.
  11. Mr Cleansheets

Aaah ye of little faith.

You'll see it eventually.

Unless of course the * completely lets me down...

12. ArturBorucCSC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Four Leaf Clover
    This thread is absolutely painful to read. At least a particularly painful transfer rumour thread is done when the player either joins or doesn't...

Liam Scales likes this.
  13. Mr Cleansheets

Excellent contribution.

Thread just went up 0.0007521 % in quality.

ArturBorucCSC and Skelleto like this.
  14. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    I've likewise not seem much of him the past couple years, but I ran into a Brighton supporter I know yesterday and he was saying how he was surprised Mooy left when he did, because at that stage he'd made his way into the team and was looking really good.

We'll know for sure in a month or so, but I doubt he's completely fallen off a cliff over the past year, as Ange wouldn't have signed him if he'd had any inkling that he had. Hopefully just needs a bit of time to work his way back to fill fitness. Because if we're getting close to the player who was in the Premier League (and I don't see why he potentially can't be, as his game was never predicated on pace) he's gonna be a seriously good option to have.

Nobody would have thought that Rogic was gonna have the season he did under Ange last year, it's worth remembering. Mooy likely won't play as much, but I don't think it's setting unrealistic expectations to think that he could be really good for us, as Ange has a track record of getting the best out of players both here and elsewhere.

craigtheceltic and Liam Scales like this.
  15. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I always feel like, with a lot of people, they're missing the reason why a vast majority of us were originally annoyed/upset we signed Mooy.

Remember, almost every single Celtic fan would have taken Mooy last summer, and I think there was still a vast majority willing to take him in January. The issue signing him now is he is nowhere near the kind of midfielder we require. We needed a CDM who could take control of the game and would just body *, Mooy isn't that type of player.

That doesn't mean he won't necessarily come good for us. I think he'll be, at worst, useful over the course of the season, and obviously I trust in Ange after everything he's done.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2022
    Lewis Kerr likes this.
  16. Couscous

Agree with most of your post but regarding this bit: Ange doesn't sign that type of player. His teams don't play that way. I don't see why Celtic fans keep demanding a player that so obviously doesn't fit the manager's style.

17. Foley1888

That is being a bit simplistic though, there are players out there that can still play good football whilst having an element of physicality to there game.

Even in the win at the weekend there were occasions when Killie midfielders picked the ball up and essentially ran through the middle of our team.

I am not suggesting we sign a hatchet man type player but someone who has the ability to tackle and a sturdy physical presence in our midfield wouldn’t be a bad option to have. Even someone with a good engine and some pace would be a decent option that could compliment what we already have.

gazb1888 likes this.
  18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

AARON MOOY – AND THE SOCCEROOS’ WORLD CUP HOPES

A month after Kewell signed on the dotted line at the green half of Glasgow, another big-name Aussie also arrived: Socceroos midfielder Aaron Mooy.

“I didn’t play a role in that transfer,” an excited Kewell says. “But what I will say with Aaron is Celtic have bought a fantastic player, a top professional, he works extremely hard. And even over the last say, week, you can see his class just coming about now. And players are really seeing what Aaron Mooy is really about.

He looks in great shape. He looks strong, he looks powerful. His movement’s good. His touch isexcellent, he’s training very well. So hopefully he can start pushing the team to make them push further.”

Mooy has been used off the bench in Celtic’s first three league games of the season, starting with a handful of minutes in the first two before enjoying nearly half an hour on the park in last weekend’s 5-0 win over Kilmarnock.

With the World Cup less than 100 days away, Kewell says Mooy looms as a crucial member of the Socceroos squad.

“He’s an important player for Australia. You’ve got to remember, he has played at the highest level and his experience in past competitions is going to be priceless for the Australian team. So, you know, it’s important that he does well for Celtic, because if he does well for Celtic then he’s going to be right for the Australian team.

“If he’s not doing right for Celtic – again, it goes for every single player, if you’re not playing well for your club, you’re not going to be playing well for Australia. You can’t think okay, well, I’ve got three or four weeks to warm up for the World Cup. No, you have to be playing well now to be ready for the national team, so when you’re going there, you can just go straight away.”

19. aussiehoops

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    Because if you're a Scottish Fitbaw Fan (TM) your team NEEDS a hard c*nt CDM to make rash challenges and break legs!

Like 35 year old Scott Brown! Or Ismaila Soro! Oh wait...

20. Kiro Kompiro

Couscous likes this.