1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ross Barkley

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by P0gue Mah0ne87, Aug 8, 2022.

Discuss Ross Barkley in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. TESLA Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vernon Dursley.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry.
    He aint dropping that serious wage I dont think, would have to be for the love of the game.

2. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    52158228f2f19c97a2e442559901fd7b.jpg

Huddleboard.

3. DdoubleD

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Yeah I have feeling we are going to sign him.

Taylor1 likes this.
  4. Maestro 08

First rule of in the knowism...leave yourself multiple get outs.

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  5. Taylor1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Seems plausible enough. He would certainly beef that midfield up,
    if he accepts the offer and challenge. I don't think he is any way, shape or form like Ramsey, two totally different players and scenarios, one in the twilight of his career, and the other.at 28, very keen to resurrect his career.

6. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Admittedly I don’t watch much English football out with MOTD but the general consensus is his engine, stamina and work rate are some of his biggest attributes?

The rumour doesn’t seem to want to go away, it’s an interesting one.

7. DdoubleD

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    If he does sign its crucial we get 2 of McCarthy, Julian, Ajeti of the books.

8. Keano88

McGregor, O’Riley, Barkley, Hatate, Turnbull and Mooy would be unreal depth for the three midfield spots tbh.

Would mean no natural DM coming in though and that we’ll probably just have 2 sitting mids in Europe in McGregor and Reo/Barkley/Mooy.

Gucci and Joker would need to get loan deals as there’s no chance they’d see minutes over any of that 6.

thomohoq likes this.
  9. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Not against this, as such. Handy, technical player who will be determined to put in a good effort and get things back on track for himself.

I just don’t understand what the thinking is behind signing him and Mooy in the one window, while seemingly neglecting any effort to get a defensive mid in.

We’re going to end up with more 8s than a pool hall.

celtic warrior likes this.
  10. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    Would be one of the best signings in recent times, and he would prove it as well. * please Celtic

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

11. jambo_cfc

Was a very good player 3 or 4 years ago and has lost his way a bit , defo will see it as a place to resurrect his career and maybe sneak into the World Cup squad for England. Does he improve us ? 100%. Always remember him at Everton as being a player with loads of ability and stamina.

12. jvalin

Only way I can see this happening is if we sell O'Riley.

13. jambo_cfc

I think ideally Oreilly and turnbull would rotate and Harare and Barkley would rotate, Barkley ain’t going to thread wee passes through he would be more of an all action box to box

14. celtic warrior

Like Mooy I'd argue I don't see the point in the signing in general.

Especially if this one is a loan, then I really don't get the point of it at all in any way.

However of Ange and Celtic think he's ideal for what they want to do...and he wears our colours he'll get my support and hope that he finds that early Everton form which made him standout as such an exciting young player.

EDIT: Is this actually a loan deal or a permanent deal?....I just can't see how a 28 year old would ever accept such a huge loss in wages when he'd likely have far better financial offers and possibly just as much play time from any club predicted to be within the bottom half of the EPL table.

15. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Not for me but if he signs he will get backed.. one thing I like about this is the fact he's looking to get his career back on track and money doesn't seem to be an issue..if Anyone can get a tune out of him it's Ange..

16. Maestro 08

I'd guess it would be a loan. He's never gonna take that massive hit financially, he'll be on fortunes. If there is any truth in it I'd say he's looking to make a late surge for a spot at the WC by playing in Champions League and regular minutes.

17. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I still doubt there is anything to this. On the very slim chance there is though my feelings are pretty much the same as before. I have already said I don't think he is as good as some others seem to think, I also think he doesn't have the right attitude to play here. But... If Ange speaks to him, gets a good vibe and he thinks he is the right fit and what we need, I'm in. After all I had pretty much the exact same reservations about Hart and was completely wrong there.

18. celtic warrior

He could score 25 goals with us and assist in 15 goals, even be our best player in CL.

He'd still never get picked for England squad whilst in Scotland. Not a chance in *

19. Maestro 08

That's true

20. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside

I have copied and pasted this from

toffeeweb - my pal sent me it as he is a season ticket holder at Goodison.

When he emerged from the Everton Academy, Ross Barkley was considered one of the hottest home-grown prospects in the Premier League but his development has been seriously setback by a major injury. He spent a large part of the 2010-11 season recovering from a double leg break suffered on duty for England’s U-17 side.

Barkley was eligible to represent both England and Nigeria as he has an English mother and a Nigeriangrandfather but estranged from his father, Peter Effanga, and using his mother's maiden name, he opted to represent his country of birth.

Ross returned to training before the end of the 2010-11 season, around six months after his injury occurred in October 2010, but the versatile box-to-box midfielder would not be fit enough to make his debut for the senior team until the following season.

On returning to fitness, he was promoted to the senior squad and went on Everton's 2011 pre-season tour of the USA, but had an ankle strain that prevented him playing against Philadelphia Union. However, he started the next friendly, against DC United, and looked very impressive, confident and assured for a relative youngster. This was followed by good partial pre-season displays against Birmingham City and Werder Bremen.

Barkley was viewed by many as the successor to Jack Rodwell and by some as the next Wayne Rooney and it seemed he was destined to fulfil those expectations when he was handed his senior debut by David Moyes in a season opener against QPR. Everton lost the game but Barkley put in a man-of-the-match performance.

A start against Sheffield United in the Carling Cup followed but his youth was exposed in a subsequent league game at Blackburn where his error led to a decisive penalty.

Moyes reflexively decided he had promoted the youngster prematurely and was largely relegated to the Reserves despite the aching need for his spirit and drive in the first team. Preference seemed to be given to the likes of James McFadden that season, although it was later revealed that Barkley had been suffering a niggling injury and, given his history, the very over-protective approach to his development seemed to be justified.

But Barkley continued to be overlooked going into the new 2012-13 season, and on the rare occasions when he did get to play, it looked as if somehow that classy confidence had been shot, and his only appearance for the Blues didn't really help with that — a shocking loss to lowly Leeds United in the League Cup in September.

With a surprise number of new players being brought in by David Moyes in the summer 2012 transfer window, it became obvious the promising youngster from Everton's Academy would not be getting much of a look-in, so a month's loan to Sheffield Wednesday in the Championship looked like his best bet.

More loans that season, initially extended at Hillsborough, then a month at Leeds United, followed and Barkley would have to wait for regime change at Goodison Park before he got his chance.

Moyes's successor, Roberto Martinez, with his more attacking and less conservative bent was more enamoured by what his young protégé could provide as an increasingly important midfielder playing behind the front line and driving them forward.

His 60-yard run and solo goal against Newcastle in the Catalan's first season will live long in the memory as an example of what Barkley was capable of at his unbridled best, and his instinctive curling strike against Manchester City in the last home game of the 2013-14 season was a beckoning call to England manager Roy Hodgson, who put him on the plane for the 2014 World Cup.

Barkley was underused in Brazil that summer as England crashed out at the group stage but there was a sense of relief at Everton when he signed a new four-year contract in August, although the news was tainted somewhat when he injured a knee in training just a day before the start of the new season and was sidelined for a significant chunk of the campaign.

He didn't ever scale the heights of his first full season under Martinez; indeed, he regressed to a degree, suffering crises of confidence which sapped his desire to run forward with the ball and take on defenders.

There were signs that he was simply too slow in his thinking, too poor in his passing and lacking that prized possession of a "football brain" when he should have been maturing into a classic No 10 creative playmaker commanding the midfield. Martinez’s insistence on playing him wide at times directly contributed to his problems.

Barkley played all but one of the games in 2015-16, scored and made more goals than ever before but the increasingly failing management of him and the team by Martinez saw him lost in an increasingly uncertain role, more apt to pass backward or sideways than drive forward.

Barkley's form slipped so badly that, by the time Martinez was finally sacked in May 2017, his position in the England team for Euro2016 was in doubt. He would go to the Euros, but, along with team-mate John Stones, was entirely unused by Hodgson as the Three Lions bombed out of another major tournament.

Incoming boss Ronald Koeman, challenged Ross to show Hodgson the error of his ways and he showed inside five minutes of the new season that he could rise to it when he scored from a free-kick against Tottenham in the 2016-17 season-opener.

But the season would not develop well for Barkley, who found Everton's poor style and lack of movement ahead of him under Koeman frustrating, and that in turn led to him being benched with increasing frequency.

The England international came in for public criticism from Koeman as the manager sought ways to get the player performing better and the tough love seemed to work as Barkley played an increasingly important role while Everton recovered from a dreadful pre-Christmas period to go on an extended unbeaten run in the New Year that eventually secured a seventh-place finish and a place in the Europa League qualifiers.

The subject of a new contract, first mooted in the summer of 2016, then strangely shelved until the New Year eventually rose to the surface at the end of the season but what the club claimed was a very generous deal remained unsigned as that season had wore on.

Koeman had made it clear Barkley would be put up for sale if he did not sign by the final game, implying that he couldn't wait around for him to make a decision while he needed to rebuild his squad over the close season. The ultimatum, which also suggested that things were far from happy between him and Barkley at Finch Farm, didn't have the desired effect and it wasn't until transfer deadline day at the end of August 2017 that matters appeared to come to a head.

Despite sustaining a grade three hamstring injury that seemed to end any chance of a move away from his boyhood club, Chelsea came forward with first a £25m bid and then an offer of £35million, with Barkley reportedly accepting personal terms and heading to London for a medical. He stunned Everton at the eleventh hour, though, when he pulled out of the move, saying in a later Tweet:
    “Contrary to a number of reports in the press, I did not undertake a medical with any club at any point. I simply decided that due to my injury, it would be best to make a decision on my future and assess all my options in January when fully fit.”

By the time the winter transfer window rolled around, those options still seemed to centre around Stamford Bridge and, a little more than four months later and having lost £20m in value, Barkley signed for Chelsea, ending his association with his boyhood club.

Also just to add, go onto it’s a grand old team (Everton form) and see what the fans really think of the rumours of him going back there.

They watched him week in and week out.