1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Carl Starfelt

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Valhalla, Jul 21, 2021.

Discuss Carl Starfelt in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    I was surprised he hadn't scored before, feels like he's always been a decent threat in the oppositions box. Definitely someone you'd expect to get 3/4 goals from a season.

2. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Was expectedly ropey initially but was fine after and a nice wee goal to boost the confidence..

3. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Good tae see him back.

Rydo1888* likes this.
  4. tarboltontim We have nothing to lose but our chains. Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Clark
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Glad he's off the mark.

martin_d, Wllm and Rydo1888* like this.
  5. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Looked a tiny bit rusty at the back, but thats to be expected with the pitch and how long hes been out.

Took his goal well.

Skelleto, martin_d and Wllm like this.
  6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

It may have taken a while – basically a full year or 50 games to be precise, but just 11 minutes after coming on from the bench in that half-century of appearances, Carl Starfelt finally got his first Celtic goal in the 5-0 win over Kilmarnock.

His last game before injury was the 6-0 Flag Day win over Motherwell and even though that may seem ages back in time, in reality he’s only missed two first-team games.

So consecutive results of 6-0 and 5-0 would delight any defender, and even more for the Swede after finding the back of the net for the first time.

He told Celtic TV: “It was a very fun moment to score my first goal for the club, and fun to be back on the pitch.

“It’s been a while now, I’ve been out with an injury and it’s always tough to be not able to play.

‘But I’m obviously delighted to make my first minutes back and to score a goal was a bonus as well.’

“You saw from my celebration it was a relief as well, so it was nice.”

Coming on for Moritz Jenz in the second half, Starfelt may have been prepared to slot in around 100 yards from the visiting Celtic fans in the opposite stand, however, he was almost on the Kilmarnock goal line just yards from the Hoops support when knocked in the goal that put the side top of the league on goal difference.

He said of the support; “They were unbelievable like always and they help us a lot in the games.

“It was a really good game today – 5-0 on an away pitch against top opposition, so we are very, very happy.”

Not only, with the arrival of Jenz, is there more competition in the Celtic backline, but it looks like they are having a goal competition up front as well.

Starfelt said: “It’s good, we have competition all over the pitch but we’ve had some very good performances now in the backline.

“It’s good because we push each other and now it’s also scoring goals and showing in the training that you want to play.

“I think that’s how the manager wants it, and it will push us to become even better.”

More than anything, though, the first-time scorer is just glad to be back in the fray after injury.

He added: “It’s always frustrating in one way, obviously when I got the knock I knew that I would be out for a while.

“You work towards a goal, and that goal is to be back here on the pitch, and I’m really happy that I can say that I got some minutes today.

“Hopefully, we’ll go from here.”

7. Keano88

Could tell he was desperate for a goal near the end of last season, glad he’s finally got the monkey off his back (No I’m not talking about Lafferty).

Got a fight on his hands to regain the starting spot just now though, not sure we can drop Jenz with the way he’s performed so far, unless his knock is more serious than expected.

greengrocer and bagforlife like this.
  8. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Made up for him getting the goal.

9. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Goal machine
    :ange:

10. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Very competitive for a place now in CD. Good to see. Welsh had a great game against Aberdeen and might now be struggling to make the bench.

Dan Breen likes this.
  11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Ange Postecoglou hailed Carl Starfelt’s scruffy comeback strike as the ugliest yet most-significant of Celtic’s Rugby Park romp.

The Swedish defender celebrated his long-awaited return from a two-month injury lay-off to score his first-ever club goal as the champions ran riot in Ayrshire. Starfelt missed a chunk of pre-season having sustained a serious hamstring issue on international duty in June.

However, on his first appearance in over two months, the 27-year-old enjoyed a moment to cherish as he stabbed home the fourth in a 5-0 win after replacing Moritz Jenz in the second period. Postecoglou was able to savour a slick move which led to Kyogo Furuhashi’s opener. He was able to applaud the brilliance of Jota’s magnificent long-range effort for the second.

Jenz took acclaim for one overhead kick before his knock at the third and Giorgos Giakoumakis produced an even better one in the closing stages to seal the deal with a spectacular fifth. But Postecoglou reckons it was Starfelt’s scrappy goal at the second attempt at the far post from a Matt O’Riley set-piece which held his most sway on his day.

He said: “I am really pleased for him to get a goal he has been trying really hard. It was probably the ugliest of the five, but probably the most significant! Carl has worked really hard in rehab. He was really frustrated after such a strong season for us last year and then he went away on international duty and got injured and missed pretty much all of the pre-season for us.

“He has worked really hard to get himself back to a position where he is available again. Credit to him, he is a really good pro. He comes in every day and works really hard in training and he’s a really strong team-mate.”

12. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
  13. Jack Torrance Heeeeeere's Johnny! Gold Member

Loved his excitement at scoring his first goal, great to see..

Skelleto and Rydo1888* like this.
  14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

16. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    2 overhead kicks and a screamer from Jota and his goal was my favorite

17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

EVEN Carl Starfelt admits it was a funny moment.

The Swedish defender had just scored his first goal for Celtic — on his 50th appearance — and celebrated in style.

It was the fourth strike in the Hoops5-0 Rugby Park romp on Sunday — but Starfelt revealed his over-the-top reaction was because of all the dressing-room stick he’s had.

He said: “It was a very funny moment — like you saw with my celebration! I enjoyed the goal a lot, even though it was a goal to make it 4-0.

“It wasn’t a normal 4-0 celebration but it was my first goal for the club so for me it means something extra.

“It was great to have all the players celebrate with me.

We’ve been speaking about it in the locker room, so it was nice to see that all the other players also got excited.

“It wasn’t so much about teasing me, it was just more of a release.

“I’ve had opportunities before that haven’t gone in so it was nice to see the ball go in the net this time.

It wasn’t the most beautiful goal but it still counts.

The ball went in at the goal with our supporters behind it and as always they were absolutely amazing.

“It was a nice moment, one I will remember. Obviously, it was nice for me to get my first minutes back after the injury. It’s important that we all provide a goal threat. It’s not a huge deal who scores.

“But if you can get some extra goals from set-pieces or other situations, it’s a bonus for the team.

“Last year, we actually scored a lot from set-pieces and this year we have scored from set-pieces in every game. Now we have to just continue with that.”

Starfelt missed all of pre-season with a hamstring injury sustained while on international duty in the Nations League with Sweden against Slovenia in June.

He said: “It was really nice to be back on the pitch.

“Obviously it’s always tough to be out and not be able to play.

“I’ve just been working very hard to get back. I felt like I was really ready to play when I came on in Sunday’s game. I’ve been training now for two weeks or so and I felt ready to go and get back involved. It was really nice.

“Obviously we have brought in Moritz Jenz but I think the competition pushes all the players.

“It’s not only in the centre-back position — we have competition now in almost every position.

You need to show every week in training that you want to play so it pushes everyone.

“We have one game a week just now but soon it will be two games a week for a period of months and we will need a big squad.

“There is very tough competition and we have really good options in defence.

“Welsh, Jenz and Cameron have all done very well when they have played so I don’t think that anyone knows they are going to play every game.

That’s how it should be — we push each other.

“It’s good because it brings up the standard in training.

“We are not just 11 players who are really good.

“The whole squad is good and the standard in training is good.

“We coped with the number of games we had pretty well last season, even though we had a lot of injuries.

But I think this season we are even better prepared.

“We know that it’s going to be a tough schedule and a tough competition in the Champions League as well. So we will need all the players we have. There will be injuries, but now we can deal with that in a better way.”

18. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    Love that picture :50:

craigtheceltic likes this.
  19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

20. DonnyCelt

His header was * beautiful!!

Rydo1888* likes this.