1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Giorgos Giakoumakis

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by The Thumb, Aug 31, 2021.

Discuss Giorgos Giakoumakis in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Thought we struggled against them in semi and in last league game Bcoz he wasn't playing.
    Was suspended for semi and thought it was really obvious how much we missed him and then Ange left him out for league game.
    Would be starting him against them next month, gives us option of playing through their press

HTG likes this.
  2. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    Only thing i disagree with Ange is starting Kyogo over GG. Can't blame him though as Kyogo is great, but GG adds so much more even if not scoring as said above.

martin_d likes this.
  3. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

4. Taylor1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Big man is wasted on the bench.

5. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

No wonder Ange doesn’t start him.

:Kyogo:

6. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Thought I was in the Leigh Griffiths thread there :fear:

7. Taylor1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Ideally,Ange needs to try and find a way to accommodate both Giakoumakis
    and Kyogo in the same team.Leaving either on the bench seems
    a great waste of talent to me, and effectively weakens us as a team.
    I still think Kyogo could be tried again coming in from the left wing
    with GG up top.

The main reason it did not work before I feel, was because Edouard
    was not trying a leg last year, and did not even attempt to link up the play.
    I would be inclined to try this formula again with GG and Kyogo to see if it would work or not.
    Worth a try I think, I am all for experimenting.

8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Giorgos Giakoumakis was the special guest on episode one of the brand new Celtic View Podcast which released on Tuesday, as the Greek striker gave an insight his life inside and outside of football.

The pod returned for a new series, when every Tuesday the weekend’s action from the first team, B team and women’s team will be reviewed, alongside exclusive interviews with the stars of each side.

The View needs you be involved throughout the season, as each guest that comes on will have your fan questions put to them, before they face off in a quick-fire quiz about the club and their team-mates.

Here, we take a look at some of the best quotes from the Hoops’ No.7 in the opening episode

ON THE START TO THE SEASON
    “The energy we have in the training centre is very positive. I’m happy we started with two wins, we have to keep going now and to win every game, that’s our main target.

“We want to play our football and make our fans really happy.”

ON HIS FAVOURITE MOMENTS SO FAR
    “I feel very good right now and settled and I feel very happy to play for this club and in this jersey with these colours.

“My favourite moment, I’ve had many but of course it’s the goals that I’ve scored and the best memory is the one against Dundee United away which settled the title.

“My favourite goal was the last game against Motherwell, the overhead kick. Not only because it was a beautiful goal but because I was on the run to be top scorer and I knew I had time to get a second goal and to join the top scorer position.”

ON GEORGIOS SAMARAS
    “When I called him when I was about to sign for Celtic he said, ‘don’t take number nine, it’s pretty heavy, this player had it before’ and I asked who it was and he told me it was him.

“I remember watching almost all the games when he played here and I knew he was number nine, he’s a bit of an icon here.”

Taylor1 likes this.
  9. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony

Don't understand the desperation from fans to shoehorn both in.

If we do then it takes away from others in the side e.g. Jota as you are shifting Kyogo out wide where he is way less effective, and moving Jota from the left where he is also way less effective.

As it stands as well if we played both we would have no striker to come off the bench.

Both will get plenty game time. I'd have Giakoumakis up top starting at the moment though, personally.

craigtheceltic and Taylor1 like this.
  10. Taylor1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I understand where you are coming from, but as has been widely alluded to before, it's goals that win matches, not positional changes and switches. GG and Kyogo have stacks of goals in them. It's criminal I feel to leave either of them on the bench, when we instead we could be utilizing both these immense talents in the same team. Don't you think ?

As for Kyogo and Jota, it's possible they could switch wings during matches if it was felt it was needed, and both being brilliant players, they should have it in their lockers to be adaptible and flexible. Why not give it a try and find out ?.

Another forward ?

Ajeti ?
    What about Ajeti ?
    What if Ange has decided to give him another try this season ?.

11. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Ajeti is gash and won't be a celtic player end of the transfer window.

Goals win matches but you need to get the best out of players in their best positions to get those goals.

It's clear Jota struggles a lot more on the right and it's also clear that Kyogo is way less likely to find the net as a left winger. There's a reason we haven't played it before with him and Giakoumakis.

12. celtic warrior

Yeah like honestly it is fun banter and all to think how we can have Kyogo and Giakoumakis in the team together.

But unless we play some sort of strict 4-4-2 which is never happening...the balance of the squad in a competitive match would be so off.

Having the right balance in central midfield is so key to the modern game, it controls everything the three that play there need to be finely balanced between all of their best attributes.

Key thing being 3 central midfielders.

Playing two and let's for argument sake it's McGregor and Hatate or McGregor and O'Riley you can immediately see there is no cover there, there is no fluid link from defence to attack without it having to be filled by someone like Kyogo dropping deeper than Kane or Jota and Abada having to come infield more to help keep the ball moving.

Even in a 3-5-2 option to try and make sure we have numbers in midfield it would then mean dropping guys like Jota and Abada as we can't expect them to reasonably be playing as wing backs and also covering defensive duties so it would likely mean less creativity and control in attack as our only wide players would be Juranovic or Ralston and Taylor or Bernabei.

Its all fun and games but it doesn't work in terms of the right balance...I'm sure domestically, especially at home we'd do well with a 3-5-2 but against anyone in Europe...maybe even against huns at shitpit...we'd likely be run over.

13. Taylor1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    We get overun already in the midfield in the Hun games and in Europe, with the rigid and inflexible 4-3-3 system that Ange is married too.
    I think we would do well with either the 3-5-2 system or even 3-4-3 with the personnel we have at our disposal. I don't think it is fanciful to have both GG and Kyogo in the same team, I think it is necessary for the Hun games and in Europe, to be able to have all our firepower available to us.

With either the 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 system we could accommodate both GG and Kyogo, without necessarily weakening the midfield.

If you don't try something different you will never find out.
    We all saw the weaknesses of the 4-3-3 system Ange deploys in the last two Hun games and against Bodo/Glimt.

14. celtic warrior

Again that's all great an all but to do a 3-5-2 we'd need more quality CBs in the team as an 1 injury screws it up.

Defensively as well I'd not be happy to give those responsibilities to Jota and Abada as they'd be our only wide men who are then responsible for it.

Which would lead then to less creativity and more disjointed play up the park as we'd then have to rely on Juranovic or Ralston and Taylor or Bernabei to create everything out wide

We'd become so insanely narrow and passing side to side because they'd have no where to go and can't be relied on in an attacking sense to have the skill and trickery to get past their man and take people out of the game.

We'd then have guys like Jota and Abada wasting on the bench because they aren't playing in a 3-5-2.

3-4-3 is basically the same, however Kyogo should never ever be seen outwide on the left or right wing.

At best, maybe Maeda could work down one side of a 3-5-2 because of his pace and stamina, but can you imagine him trying to defend deep in our half in and around the box trying to stop balls coming in? He ain't Agathe.

It's fun idea but it's strictly one that should remain in a game of Fifa or FM.

15. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    Ajeti came in a season where everyone looked gash. Like Julien, needs a good run of games which to be honest is near impossible now as he's not going to get that.

Taylor1 likes this.
  16. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    He got a chance last season and was the exact same.

There's a reason he isn't getting a sniff despite being fit again. £5m we won't see again.

craigtheceltic likes this.
  17. Taylor1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I thought Ajeti was playing quite well last season and looked like he had something to prove to Ange, and then unluckily hamstrung himself in the process, probably by trying too hard. I think the reason Ajeti has not featured yet is because GG and Kyogo are both in the match day squad just now.

Let's face it, who is going to come in for a £5M striker who has not played much in two years.?
    I don't think Ajeti is going anywhere.

18. EddieBhoy1986

BiB Was that when we hammered them 3-0 at Paradise or when we humiliated them 1-2 at Mordor? We shat one cup semi at Hampden and it had little to do with "Ange's rigid and inflexible 4-3-3 system"

craigtheceltic likes this.
  19. aussiehoops

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    Yeah let's fit Kyogo and GG into the same team. Why not Kenny as well? Ajeti? Who needs a midfield when we can just ScoRe mOrE gOaLS

20. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Best * i've ever seen at overheadkicking a ball, only played like 30 games for us and I feel like i've seen him have about a dozen attempts lol thats at least his 2nd scored as well, maybe 3rd?