1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

John Kennedy

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, May 15, 2016.

Discuss John Kennedy in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. celtic warrior

Yes we did but that should really be expected given where we should be standing in the league.

We have issues with certain aspects of defending and time and time again that get highlighted against better teams such as surrending leads through poor defending in Europe.

And whilst I'd always argue Bodo were actually a fantastic side in Europe last year...a lot on here find losing to them unacceptable.

There is clear aspects to our defensive game that have needed improving and have for some time and if people are to be believed, Kennedy has never once been assigned defensive coaching duties and that shows at higher level of football since Rodgers arrival.

I struggle to believe that since Rodgers first arriving the most we've known of there being a coach to handle defensive plays is supposedly Duff?

2. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    He was asked about aspirations Kennedy would have as a manager, see if he was useless and getting in my way but foisted upon me, I wouldn’t answer with he’s crucial towards the way we play football.

It would be left at the first thing he said in answer to the actual question, ‘you’d need to ask him’. You wouldn’t expand on how much you value him being there on your team.

And to get to that point you’d need to view Ange as a spineless manager who is too afraid to speak up about somebody on his staff he doesn’t rate.

3. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    1st bit in bold)
    Giving up the 2nd leg was one of my biggest gripes there, that wasn’t never stopping and the 2nd string played the same tactics that they clearly had spent months preparing for. That was poor from Ange all round. I don’t think that’d down to Kennedy that?

2nd bit in bold)
    Kolo Toure, Damian Duff, Stephen McManus.

4. stew37

All the best if he goes, sound if he stays. Folk like him and McManus get undeserved flack from some *.

Dublin Celt likes this.
  5. celtic warrior

Kolo toure was given the role of technical assistant and the assistance in all aspects of coaching according to the club statement at the time.

Near enough the same type of statement said about Kennedy but he's been accepted as one who never was involved in defensive coaching.

There is very little I can find on McManus being recognised anything other as first team coach, no indication or signs he is or ever has been a defensive coach.

Kennedy has had at least Sviatchenko speak about 1 on 1 session where they would discuss how to tackle and setting his position for a tackle.

Either way...I accept I am overly harsh on Kennedy, I'm in the minority in that, overall whilst none of my posts would suggest it, I'm happy enough if he stays.

But at the same time I'd also like to see how the squad develops under Ange especially with some new faces and a bit more of a shake up in coaching department.

6. Taylor1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Maybe I'm reading too much into Ange's remarks on Kennedy, but if you read between the lines, I get the feeling
    Ange is not going to stand in Kennedy's way if he is agitating to leave.

7. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Ange has no say in the matter anyway. If Kennedy is offered a job and he wants it, he can leave Celtic whenever.

8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

ANGE POSTECOGLOU won’t stand in John Kennedy’s way should he wish to move into management, saying he wouldn’t be surprised if clubs were interested in his ‘outstanding’ assistant coach.

The Celtic manager was addressing speculation linking Kennedy with a move to FC Midtjylland, who have been credited with an interest in appointing the 38-year-old as head coach of their first team following the departure of Bo Henriksen in July.

Kennedy is believed to be on the Danish side’s shortlist, and Postecoglou says that he will afford the former Celtic centre-back the same respect as any of his current players, and would never stop anyone from leaving the club if they wished to explore other opportunities.

“I don’t think that way mate,” Postecoglou said. “It’s like the players and staff, if they do well there may be other opportunities for them.

“It’s not down to me, their futures are in their own hands. At the moment John is a key contributor here and he’s really happy with what he’s doing. But what the future holds for him, or anyone else for that matter, is up to him.

“It wouldn’t surprise me if there’s interest in him. He’s a Celtic man through and through but having had an unfortunate end to his playing career he’s made a concerted effort to get as many skills and learning experiences as possible.

“He’s worked in the academy and the first team in various roles. He’s worked under some fantastic managers; present company excluded obviously!

Should he want to move to the next phase of being a manager – and you’d have to ask him that – then he’d be an outstanding candidate.

“But he’s a really important part of our set up here. He leads many of the footballing areas for me and he’s done a fantastic job in my time here.”

9. moravcik1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    This wont be popular with many Celtic fans but Id have no problem with Kennedy becoming the permanent Celtic manager when Ange leaves - If he does have an ambition to be the Celtic manager but feels there is very little chance of him ever being given the opportunity then there's a high chance he will leave; unless of course he is happy to be a Number 2 for the rest of his career

10. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    By all acounts he's a nice guy and well respected, but if he left the morra would it be any kinda loss ?

The idea of JK gettin the Celtic gig from within would be mental, you'd have a guy gettin one of the biggest jobs in fitbaw with no managerial expierience, a surefire recipe for disaster.

That would be taking the jobs for the boys way too far.

If he has any kind of managerial ambitions he needs to go out and prove himself, he has to earn the right to even be considered for the Celtic job one day.

11. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    According to Ange? Yes

12. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

I wouldn't expect Ange to say anything else mate.

13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I wouldn’t expect him to go out his way to make his opinion clear on the matter when it’s not what he was asked. Wouldn’t expect him to do it repeatedly either.

14. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I was one of the fans that stuck up for Kennedy during Lennons * show, after what he showed when Lennon got the boot nobody could stick up for him. When Lennon got the boot & Kennedy had a free hit (league was done) to show us what he could do as a manager. He changed nothing & showed us he had the same ideas as Lennon.

He might be like so many that are really good coaches but just can't make that step up to being the manager. Time will tell.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

JamesM09 likes this.
  15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

16. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
  17. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Legend.

Come at me:56:

Wllm likes this.
  18. Gazzi79

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hart
    Oh aye Kennedy was brilliant in Barcelona that night so did Marshall.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Wllm likes this.
  19. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    He had Ronaldinho in his back pocket. What a performance!

Wllm likes this.
  20. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    He was an absolute rock that night. Played a perfect game.