1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Jacob knows Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    We will get at least one body in before the deadline. Almost guaranteed. We need a 3rd striker. And either a RW or a DCM/CM. We could get by with Maeda/Jota and Abada/Forrest but I think it's pretty evident Ange doesn't fancy Jamesie. Maybe getting someone versatile who could play both positions. Again for midfield I'm thinking his first choice trio is Hatate,O'Riley and Calmac with Mooy and Turnbull as backup. Ideguchi and McCarthy I don't think are fancied by Ange so getting another body in there to make sure we have that 3rd option. Reckon it'll be loans. Hopefully not but either way I'm in no way going to be disappointed

2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic travel to Kilmarnock this weekend, and while Scotland’s heatwave won’t have helped Rugby Park’s plastic surface, Postecoglou will demand his players adapt.

Asked about a dry surface, he said: “It is what it is. We just need to understand the challenge.

“It’ll affect the game to an extent but we need to make the adjustments we need to overcome it. It’s a different challenge. There’s always something that can trip you up if you’ve not prepared well.

“We know it will be a difficult game. Derek McInnes did a great job of getting them promoted last year and they have aspirations of staying up and making an impact.

“We understand what we are facing and we have to be ready. We’ve shown in the past any time we’ve stuck to our task and principles of playing our football, irrespective of what the opposition might do, we’ve been difficult to stop.”

Reo Hatate is fit again but won’t be risked on the artificial surface, while a late decision will be made on Carl Starfelt’s involvement as he continues his comeback.

“Ideguchi is still a fair bit off and in rehab,” said the Celtic manager. “He got a fair few stitches in his leg that need to be taken out. It’s going to be a bit of a process with him, but he’s back at the club doing his individual work. I don’t really put timescales on these things as it’s not really fair with the players. Everyone heals differently. The important thing is he’s making progress.”

ANGE POSTECOGLOU won’t stand in John Kennedy’s way should he wish to move into management, saying he wouldn’t be surprised if clubs were interested in his ‘outstanding’ assistant coach.

The Celtic manager was addressing speculation linking Kennedy with a move to FC Midtjylland, who have been credited with an interest in appointing the 38-year-old as head coach of their first team following the departure of Bo Henriksen in July.

Kennedy is believed to be on the Danish side’s shortlist, and Postecoglou says that he will afford the former Celtic centre-back the same respect as any of his current players, and would never stop anyone from leaving the club if they wished to explore other opportunities.

“I don’t think that way mate,” Postecoglou said. “It’s like the players and staff, if they do well there may be other opportunities for them.

“It’s not down to me, their futures are in their own hands. At the moment John is a key contributor here and he’s really happy with what he’s doing. But what the future holds for him, or anyone else for that matter, is up to him.

“It wouldn’t surprise me if there’s interest in him. He’s a Celtic man through and through but having had an unfortunate end to his playing career he’s made a concerted effort to get as many skills and learning experiences as possible.

“He’s worked in the academy and the first team in various roles. He’s worked under some fantastic managers; present company excluded obviously!

“Should he want to move to the next phase of being a manager – and you’d have to ask him that – then he’d be an outstanding candidate.

“But he’s a really important part of our set up here. He leads many of the footballing areas for me and he’s done a fantastic job in my time here.”

3. Mr Cleansheets

Ooh, some yummy humble pie warming up for you mate...

4. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Let's hope so!

VT8, AussieGreek and Mr Cleansheets like this.
  5. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    I doubt that one Aussie watched that game, outside of his family.

Anyway, how’s your call about Ange being a * turning out? :ange2:

OziBeerMan likes this.
  6. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Wee chomp. I'll take it :ange:

craigtheceltic likes this.
  7. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    :Kyogo:

McChiellini.. likes this.
  8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

'I don't like them': Celtic’s Ange Postecoglou encourages Scotland to pitch in and go Dutch
    The journey the Netherlands has embarked on with synthetic surfaces should provide the lead for how Scotland deals with the abrasive issue of their presence in the country’s top flight, believes Ange Postecoglou

Celtic’s trip to Kilmarnock will provide his team with their first challenge this season of dealing with the peculiarities inherent playing on plastic. Although commanding on their last visit to Livingston, Postecoglou’s men didn’t tend to thrive on them in his first campaign. They suffered defeats away to Bodo/Glimt and in Almondvale, as well as a difficult Scottish cup tie on Alloa’s artificial pitch. The Australian is sympathetic to the economic imperatives that underpin their use, but believes in an ideal world he would be preparing his squad for a Rugby Park encounter on grass, and that would be the case for every league game. As the Dutch are working towards, an incenstivising scheme last year introduced whereby top flight clubs with plastic pitches are offered E350,000 to switch to natural or hybrid surfaces.

"You understand the reasoning behind it, but do I like them? No,” the Celtic manager said. “I think they change the game. Do I think the top league should have them? Preferably not, but I understand why they are there and while they are there you have just got to deal with them. There's enough evidence around the world that some nations went that way – the Dutch certainly did – and they are understanding and reverting back to grass pitches because it's just more of a natural game.

“As much as the artificial pitches try to replicate what happens on a grass pitch, it's a different game. That's my preference, I don't like them, I don't think it's as good a spectacle for the supporters, which is really the ultimate business we are in. But I can understand why clubs have them. There are financial considerations that thankfully our club doesn't have to deal with. Others do, and that's why they make those decisions.”

ANGE POSTECOGLOU admits he is preparing for a hectic end to the transfer window.

The Celtic boss has made six signings but is keen on more and could move fringe players on.

He said: “There are one or two areas that I would like to bring in, but it has to be the right sort of players.

“We are definitely still active and looking at what options may be available.

“In general, I think this transfer window is going to be pretty hectic in the last couple of weeks.

“I suggest there could be some opportunities there for us.

“In terms of outgoings there are players who aren’t getting a lot of opportunities.

“I am not having discussions with anyone on a daily basis on what their future should be, as that’s really up to them.

“I am not one to try and convince people to stay and I am not going to persuade anyone to go.

“But the reality is that some people will get less opportunities and if that’s not sufficient for them then they can explore other opportunities.”

James Forrest is one player struggling to get into the Celtic team right now, but Postecoglou says chances will come.

The long-serving winger recently signed a contract extension and the Hoops boss backed him to play a key role.

He said: “James has been at this club for a very long time.

“If you asked him if he’s ever felt he was guaranteed a spot in this team, or this club didn’t have more than two great wingers, I’d be very, very surprised. I don’t think anything has changed for him.

“Yeah, it’s a challenge at the moment getting game time, but the reason we kept him on last year and re-signed him is because I still think there’s value in him.

“He’s an experienced guy and he still has the skill-set and temperament to perform at the highest level and he’s training really well.

Through pre-season so far he hasn’t missed a session for us and is working as hard as he can to make sure that when his opportunity comes along, which inevitably it will, he will be ready for it.”

Postecoglou will be taking Celtic to Kilmarnock and admits he would rather not be playing on plastic.

But the Hoops boss also won’t let anyone use the surface as an excuse.

He said: “Do I like them? No. They change the game.

“Do I think the top league should have them? Preferably not.

“But I understand why they are there and while they are there you just have to deal with them.

“As much the artificial pitches try to replicate what happens on a grass pitch, it’s a different game.

“That’s my preference. I don’t like them, I don’t think it’s as good a spectacle for the fans, which is the ultimate business we are in.

“But I can understand why clubs have them. There are financial considerations that thankfully our club doesn’t have to deal with.

“Others do and that’s why they make those decisions.”

Last edited: Aug 13, 2022
    Rydo1888* likes this.
  9. oh bhoy

“If you asked him if he’s ever felt he was guaranteed a spot in this team, or this club didn’t have more than two great wingers, I’d be very, very surprised

prepared to be surprised Ange ,the only time Forrest has ever had any competition for his spot was when paddy Roberts was here with Sinclair on the other side it was the first time in years we actually had a lw and an option on the right

10. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    He started on the LW, and he had to fight his way in infront of Commons, Samaras and McCourt to get game time in the first place. He’s had competition the majority of the time he’s been here

11. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    Playin some great stuff, the morale within the group looks superb.

Ange brings a calm assurance, it's like he already knows everything is gonna be good lol.

Sgt Neppers* and JML67 like this.
  12. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

I know we've been waxing lyrical about the guy since last season, and Kilmarnock aren't a suitable barometer for the side he's put together, but our general play and constant improvement since the big man got here has been nothing short of sensational.

Almost don't feel he gets the credit he deserves for completely transforming the whole feel of the club and the way we conduct ourselves when it looked like the wheels were falling off under Lawwell/Lennon.

My hero :ange:

13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

14. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Cannot wait to see Two Massive smiles this Season from the Cool Aussie, first one when we Win our First Knock out European Tie with him, the 2nd one is when we We win Back To Back Titles:ynwacelti:ynwacelti

15. Sgt Neppers*

The strength of our squad at the moment, being able to make 5 changes and still be as strong as the starting 11 is frightening. Add to this, the momentum and happiness within the squad.....you love to see it!!! :shamrock:

16. Rydo1888* Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Two more potentially coming in also :35:

Sgt Neppers* likes this.
  17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

19. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    Out of every manager we could have realistically got in last year, not only was Ange far and away the top man for the job, but none of us knew it. Legendary entrance to his Celtic FC story

20. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Major praise for him and/or his staff for doing something to our attacking indirect set pieces. Our CB-s are alert and move well in the opposition's box, and takers are able to find them more often.

OziBeerMan likes this.