1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Matt O'Riley

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Henrik 07, Jan 20, 2022.

Discuss Matt O'Riley in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Do you honestly think he would have got into the team with the midfield we had? Manager aside, I don’t think he would have even if we had others as manager at the time.

What have the others got to do with Rogic and Matt?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
  2. bhoy81

3. EddieBhoy1986

Yes, I'm saying without Rogic last year we wouldn't have won the league. He is one of a few players who played a key role in us winning narrow games from behind or when we were drawing, that without which the title goes to Ibrox. That's how football works.

Only goal scorer in our 1-0 victory over Motherwell in December.

Assist for Ralston in our 1-2 win over Ross County in December.

Keeps his head and equalises against them at Ibrox in April.

Any two of those results goes a different way we don't win the title. That's football. That doesn't mean O'Riley didn't contribute but when it comes to winning titles there is a difference between scoring and assisting when we are comfortable, than when we are 1-1 or 0-1 down with seconds left on the clock.

We have got a full season ahead to see what Matt can bring and if he can be as important for us as Tam was when our backs are against the wall. Absolutely no point in getting ahead of ourselves and it goes without saying I hope he has that grit in him.

Also the boy can't run. It might be what saves us loosing him too early to the EPL. Perfect example Motherwell in February, both him and Rogic deep in our half, Rogic picks up the ball from the RB and travels up the wing with it at pace, keeps possesion under challenges then gets long range shot off across to (I think) Abada and gets up into our box to make the shot when it's crossed back, before O'Riley who had a good few yards head start and unimpeded run at it. He runs like my Aunty Agnes.

dbhoy72 likes this.
  4. bhoy81

Sorry Mate but Rogic never won us the league. If you solely think that then you are delusional and there is absolutely no point in trying to even discuss this further.

I mean the whole teams contributions throughout the season never won us the league it was in 3 games you highlighted.

Come on tae *, honestly, take the Tam Rogic tinted glasses off for one minute and think logically not Rogically.

So by your logic we pack in the league this season and hand it to them cause Tam is not here?

Your aunty must be some player get her signed up if she runs like Matt.

I honestly think we are done here discussing anything logical now.

5. EddieBhoy1986

Pal you are on one and clearly not capable of reading what people write or understanding how football works.

What I said was that Tam is one of a few players who directly contributed to us winning the league because of goals scored to win us games or get us points from games we otherwise would have lost or from defensive actions that prevented us from conceding goals that would have cost us wins or draws leading to us also dropping points. Tony Ralston, Abada, Cal Mac, Tam, Kyogo, GG, Jota, CCV and more. Matt O'Riley is not one of those players. Did he score and assist? Yes but did those goals and assists come in moments when we were backs against the wall and need some grit and fight? No. So does he still have to prove he is capable of digging deep and fighting for points when we aren't coasting games? Yes.

What about this is hard for you to understand I don't know. But you have the energy of a man who is being out argued and instead of brining facts, stats or logic to win your point, you're chucking you're toys and walking away.

6. bhoy81

Part in bold. No. Further. Questions.

You can’t have a logical discussion with someone who has Rogic tinted glasses on.

Why would I waste another minute debating anything with you when clearly you forgot what you posted and talking drivel.

Thank you, and enjoy your weekend pal.

7. EddieBhoy1986

And? does it say without him and him alone we wouldn't have won the league? No it doesn't, it says he is "one of a few players who played a key role in us winning the league" . What it meant has been explained in multiple posts with examples provided. But I will provide further clarification for you as you apear to need it.

Rogic doesn't score in our 1-0 win against Motherwell we come away with 1 point instead of 3, that's us -2.

Rogic doesn't create Ralstons winner in the dying seconds against Ross County, we leave with 1 point instead of 3, that's us -2 again.

Rogic (with McGregor) doesn't get us level at Ibrox quickly following their early lead, at best we come away with 1 point so that's us minus another 2.

So that's at least 6 points we would not have won last season if not for Rogic in a season we won by just 4 points. I can not simplify it more than that, so if you're still struggling to understand how football works you will need to ho elsewhere for help.

gazb1888 likes this.
  8. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Brings so much to the team, consistently good at winning the ball back, is decent in the air and has a great engine

9. Rydo1888* Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Total player

Artorias likes this.
  10. bhoy81

You clearly said without him we wouldn’t have, then go into Key player etc.

I don’t know how I can break it down and simplify it further even though clearly said it.

Like I said no point in discussing it further.

11. EddieBhoy1986

I said the sentence I bolded, an exact quote. I don't have time or energy to explain the function of context in the English language to you on top of having to explain the rules of football. Bye bye sunshine.

12. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

13. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

14. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Nice to see him come out of his shell more

bagforlife likes this.
  15. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

PATIENCE, they say, is a saintly virtue, but it isn’t a quality typically possessed by your average football fan. Celtic supporters though may well have to show a little forbearance at times this season as the opposition do their damnedest simply to stop their team playing.

That’s the verdict of Matt O’Riley, with the Celtic midfielder detailing how Ange Postecoglou’s side have gone about breaking teams down during their impressive start to the season. It is very much a team approach, and one that has lent itself so far to a pretty decent spread of goals.

For instance, O’Riley details how he sacrificed himself at times for the greater good during the recent win at Ross County, where late goals from Moritz Jenz and Liel Abada secured a victory that looked to be drifting away from the champions.

It is this selfless approach that he believes holds the key to overcoming packed defences in the Premiership this term, with Celtic being able to overwhelm any defence eventually by providing threats from every area of the pitch. In other words, try as the opposition might to plug the multiple holes in the dam, eventually the torrent will burst through.

“It’s important that we have a spread of goals from all over the team,” O’Riley said.

“That’s the case especially with the way teams play against us in Scotland. They really try to stop us from playing our game and we need to find a way past that.

“Take the Ross County game as an example, they were following the midfielders all over the pitch. I would run out wide and that left Cameron Carter-Vickers with the space to run all the way up the pitch and shoot.

“That kind of shows that we will have to use as many options, and resources, as we can to score in certain games this season.

“Sometimes in Scotland, we need to wear teams down and then look for the openings after 60-70 minutes. Spaces can open up even more at that point and I think late goals could be quite common this season with the way teams [are] being set up.

Being patient is important, we need to find the space when we can and then it’s a case of being clinical when we get the chances.”

Celtic fans may also be getting a little impatient as they wait to find out which glamour ties await in them in the Champions League, with the long-awaited group stage draw set to take place a week today in Istanbul.

The Celtic players are of course excited by the prospect too, but it is very much at the back of their minds according to O’Riley, with an acknowledgment that in a contest as tight as the Premiership title race already appears to be shaping up as, they cannot afford to take their eye off the here and now.

“I haven’t actually thought about the Champions League that much,” he said.

“We are very process-focused at Celtic and it’s very much about the day to day. It’s about training and preparing for the next game.

“We know the draw is coming up and there are going to be massive teams in it. When the group comes out, I will have a think about the competition a bit more.

“But this month has been about focusing on the league games every weekend. It’s all about the present and what we control.

“The next game is always the biggest at Celtic. That’s how it is. With the amount of fixtures at this club, there is no other option.

“We could end up playing over 60 games this season so you can’t afford to think too far ahead.

“Let’s be patient, focus on the next game and take it all as it comes.”

It may have been thought by some that when O’Riley arrived at Celtic from MK Dons in January, a measure of grace would have to be applied to the judgment of the 21-year-old too, given the step up in level and in the size of club he was now representing.

He took to life at Celtic though with remarkable speed, impressing from the get-go after being thrown into the team and staking his claim for a regular place in the midfield, one of the most competitive areas of this Celtic side.

That’s not to say though that he wouldn’t have liked more time on the training field at that point as he looked to adjust to the demands placed on the Celtic players by his new manager, and the rather unique style that Postecoglou adopts.

The new arrivals at Celtic this summer have been afforded such a luxury, something O’Riley feels will benefit the team as whole in the long run.

“Having extra training time does help some of the new boys adjust to the way we are playing,” he said.

“This four-week spell when we don’t have midweek games should help us a lot.

“The players’ bodies will get used to the training and that’s good, as come September it is going to be pretty full on.

“Having this period is going to help us later in the season.”

16. EddieBhoy1986

He is a fantastic talent but so far this season he hasn't been as good as he was last year. We are missing Rogic more than we should be given how much potential O'Riley has. Maybe it's not having any real competition for his place with Tam gone has made him too comfortable. Bringing in another attacking mid to put a firework up his * and spark him into life looking a good option to me at the moment.

ArminCeltic likes this.
  17. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Should've scored..

18. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Wasn't at his best today.. fairly quite

19. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Pretty poor today

20. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    He needs to do more for me.

Has so much talent. Suppose inconsistency is expected at his age.