1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

John Kennedy

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, May 15, 2016.

Discuss John Kennedy in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    This is what Ajer said btw

3573A8BF-4948-4816-A1EE-3F28CB1ABBA7.jpeg

celtic warrior and RabS like this.
  2. celtic warrior

So you think our defensive weaknesses have been identical every season, going back to when MON was manager?

Taylor1 likes this.
  3. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    This would be my point mate. Arguably we were in a similar mess with Mowbray.

Lennon came in, galvanized the squad, changed the playbook and had us firing again. Basically making the job his own.
    The players at the time responded to Lennon, respected his approach and followed his direction.
    We got arguably worse when Kennedy stepped in.
    For me, this speaks to the level of actual influence he has on the players, as well as ability to motivate them. Surely things intrinsic to the role of a football coach.

Anytime i counter things like this Im told one has nothing to do with the other. That we cant speculate on Kennedys ability to coach for whatever reason. But this is a football forum. Its literally entirely what we do on here. Speculate.

4. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I get where you’re coming from but the value of his peers’ opinion is just far higher. That is the evidence we have and evidence always outweighs speculation.

Lennon coming in for Mowbray was when we were only 10 points behind and still had a chance of the league, and also wasn’t during a pandemic where we faced lockdowns, players wanting away the previous summer, and key signings being major flops. Personally I think the players had chucked it by the time Kennedy took over, which is on them too.

Lennon coming in, playing in front of fans and having been a popular player, would help with coming in and taking over from Mowbray. Lennon was always noted to be a motivator too, so perhaps his greater skill at that could allude to why he was able to galvanise the squad in 2010, with something still to play for.

While the roles are similar, there are still some differences between a first team coach and a manager. Kennedy could very well be excellent as part of a support staff, and less effective as the main leader. If he does take a managerial job it’ll be interesting to see how he does.

Damnati likes this.
  5. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    No, I don’t think that.

6. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    What we do know, is Lennon’s first full season in charge his second stint we were good defending and attacking set pieces - and the man who was in charge of that was Damian Duff.

7. celtic warrior

Hands up...admittedly I would not have suspected that although I'm sure a fair few were noticing a drop off in standards in the team performance when he left so I think overall as coach it was seen that Duff was important to success of Lennon.

Is there anything out there that would help show this though? Oddily we can get all the stats and info in the world for players...but in terms of coaches there doesn't seem to be much out there unless they themselves specifically give interviews.

I'd love to learn more about it overall and educate myself on the matter.

8. DdoubleD

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    We had the best defense in the league by a long margin last season lol.. Joe hart had like 20 clean sheets ffs. Love for you to show me these clangers and * ups in a year where we only conceded at about 0.5 goals a game.

Damnati and TheHappyLoss like this.
  9. celtic warrior

We had the best defence in the league, but let's not kid ourselves by ignoring how we conceded goals wasn't a similar frustrating pattern in games in terms of issues dealing with set pieces being the main topic on everyone's mind when we concede

10. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    A vote of 81 Celtic fans doesn't really tell me anything about what the wider Celtic fanbase thinks.
    The speculation about the sympathy vote was nothing but speculation. There has never been a shred of evidence to it. It is purely conjecture and I don't think it's fair at all.
    What allows him to be classed as an overall coach? His UEFA Pro license would cover all elements of coaching also he is Assistant Manager which is a general position.

AussieGreek likes this.
  11. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Second half of the season I'd say our goals conceded didn't come from set pieces but more allowing homes in the defence when high pressing.

celtic warrior likes this.
  12. Taylor1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Homes ?
    I would agree the second half of the season most of our goals were being conceded by a porous midfield.
    And that is why we need a powerful and athletic defensive midfielder this window.
    The last two games against Rangers, exemplified that defensive weakness.

13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    There’s an article on The Celtic Way I can’t find now, which is annoying but the most chances conceded are from counter attacks, most goals conceded under Ange is set pieces. It was highlighting the importance of Joe Hart with one on ones.

Last half of the season though, the chances from counter attacks halfed per game and it was down to Starfelt’s covering in behind.

The Duff season though, we did have Julien in there, who was far and away the best defending set pieces and finishing them or assisting from a knock on from them that season.

Set pieces are usually, especially last half of the last season, that we would face as an attacking threat more often than not brcause of out possession

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Ange Postecoglou was asked about the situation of John Kennedy today and the speculation linking him with the FC Midtjylland managerial job in Denmark.

Kennedy has been a long-serving coach at the Bhoys, even taking caretaker charge of the club following the exit of Neil Lennon.

He’s been linked with management jobs in the past, most notably Hibernian, and hasn’t hidden his ambition to one day be his own man in the dugout.

Reports in Denmark earlier this weeksuggested he was being considered for the Midtjylland role, although it doesn’t appear any talks have taken place.

Postecoglou was asked about it in his press conference today, which 67 Hail Hail attended. The Celtic manager said: “You’re best placed to ask John about that, not me. From my perspective, I don’t read the newspaper, so excuse me if I’m not up to speed with what the latest news is.

He’s had a fantastic managerial journey so far in terms of gaining experience and knowledge. He’s worked with some fantastic managers.

He’s built up his expertise through different areas of the game. He started off in the junior ranks, he’s done some scouting, and he’s tried to make sure he’s as well-rounded as he possibly can be.

“He’s no different to anyone else at this football club. If people identify him as someone who can help their organisation, then it’s up to the individuals to make those decisions.

“John is a really important part of what we do here, he’s an important part of my set-up, he leads a lot of the areas with respect to our football, so he’s a valuable asset to this club.”

Clearly you wouldn’t expect Postecoglou to stand in Kennedy’s way should he want to move on. The club are unlikely to either.

So it’ll be interesting to see what comes of the Midtjylland rumours and whether the former defender would be keen on eventually leaving Glasgow.

Managerial success elsewhere could help his long-term Celtic prospects too, if he harbours an ambition to take permanent control of the squad one day.

A situation to watch!

15. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

"John is a really important part of what we do here, he’s an important part of my set-up, he leads a lot of the areas with respect to our football, so he’s a valuable asset to this club.”

These must be fake quotes.

Damnati and Liam Scales like this.
  16. celtic warrior

Obviously they aren't but Ange is never gonna be a guy who would openly throw anyone under a bus.

Hardly any manager ever speaks ill of coaches he's worked with directly.

But admittedly, I do hold some bias against Kennedy and hold the opinion he should leave, I accept that for the most part I'm now likely in the minority of people who hold that view.

But if we are looking to get stronger and improve, with fans wanting signs of progress in Europe, I know it's a risk and huge gamble, but we could do with a bit more of a shuffle within coaching staff.

And for the love of *...if he isn't one...nor ever been one, can please for christ sake get a defensive coach in.

17. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    wE hAd tHe bEsT dEfEnCe iN tHe LeAgE

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    There’s a difference between going out of his way to praise him and throwing him under the bus though, you must see that at least?

20. celtic warrior

Wouldn't it be going out of his way to praise him if he mentions him without first having to be asked about whether the lad is staying or not?