1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Leigh Griffiths

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Vertie Auld, Jan 31, 2014.

Discuss Leigh Griffiths in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Probably * himself right now because he's got knowhere near enough money saved up to retire yet. Sad thing is he will be utterly skint and on the dole within 5 years. Utter waster.

VT8 likes this.
  2. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    If he was financially able to retire i think he would have rather than go to Scottish league 1 last season. He's desperate to find someone who will take him.

VT8 likes this.
  3. TheHappyLoss

Trouble is he done eff all at Dundee and Falkirk. Guy will carry huge regret with him for the rest of his life.

4. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Did Celtic help pay off his gambling debts ?

5. craigtheceltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom
    Not checked where Mandurah is eh? :56:

6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

LEIGH GRIFFITHS is at the centre of controversy in Australia after his new club hiked up ticket prices by over three times their usual rate ahead of his debut for Mandurah City on Saturday.

The former Celtic and Scotland star will play for the minnows in Australian football's third tier this weekend against Western Knight on a short-term deal and will attempt to put himself in the shop window for A-League clubs, with Perth Glory strongly linked with him.

Semi-pro side Mandurah have made the match all-ticket and limited the capacity of their Genesis Care Stadium to 1,000 for safety reasons, but they have significantly increased their prices from the usual six Australian dollars (£3.50) to 20 Australian dollars (£11.70), which has caused a backlash Down Under.

And that's caused league bosses - Football West - to intervene.
    Football West stated: "Our State League competition rules state that a general entry admission fee of $6 may be charged for a Division One match.

"Football West expects all clubs to comply with competition rules.”

But the club's Scottish boss, former Raith Rovers hero John Baird, admits the signing of Griffiths has been a huge boost for the club ahead of his bow.

He said: "There's been massive interest in us since we announced he was signing.

"He was training with Livingston and I suggested to him to come out here and train with us. He asked if he could play a couple of games for us when he was over here and that's turned into world news! It's been everywhere.

"It's been good for the club and it will be good for my players to play with someone of his calibre.

"He's had offers in the UK, but it was more about him coming out here and trying a new experience. He's only just turned 32 and is still in his peak. Players can play until they are 40 now.

"I'm sure A-League clubs like Perth Glory will be looking at him. There's no doubt he would enhance the league.

"Saturday's game has been capped at 1,000 for safety issues and it should be a fantastic occasion."

Last edited: Aug 27, 2022
  7. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Last edited: Aug 27, 2022
    NakamuraTastic and buchanbhoy like this.
  8. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

100% goes to Broomhill when he gets back.

littlekennie likes this.
  9. DdoubleD

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Honestly he should be scoring 10 a game in this league.

markybhoy1976 likes this.
  10. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

12. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    Still a dafty

13. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

14. Al Bootyerbaws

The boy that never grew up.

Rydo1888* and Artorias like this.
  15. StevieBhoooy!

Just think…

Real Madrid next week…

or

a Sunday league game in the *-end of the *-end of nowhere.

Rydo1888* and NakamuraTastic like this.
  16. FranceCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - McGregor, Past - Lubo
    Fighting with someone's grampa at a pub league match - very professional...!

17. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    But but just get him fit and he will score for fun again

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  18. Twisty Rodgers out !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
  19. James Gold Member Gold Member

Love the fact the old boy never flinched :giggle1:

FranceCelt likes this.
  20. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    Leigh Griffiths: Former Celtic and Scotland striker opens up on fall from grace

[​IMG]
    Leigh Griffiths helped Celtic to seven league titles

Former Celtic and Scotland striker Leigh Griffiths admits his career as a professional footballer could be over, although he retains hope a manager will "pick up the phone".

The 32-year-old has been without a club for five months and is currently training with Livingston.

Griffiths has also opened up to BBC Scotland on the "massive mistake" which saw him "dismissed" from Celtic.

"The longer it goes on I think, 'Is football for me anymore?'," he said.

"I've been without a club for five months now and, although Davie [Martindale, Livingston manager] has said I can come in and train with them, he has said there is no deal on the table.

"I'm still not seeing managers pick up the phone, which means do they want me at their club or is it time to call it a day? That is something I'm still considering at the minute.

"As a free agent you've not got a budget, you've not got a price-tag on your head, everything is still negotiable."

Griffiths admits his career has been something of a "fall from grace" over the last few years.

In the summer of 2017, he was the toast of the Tartan Army as his spectacular free-kicks fired Scotland into a late and dramatic 2-1 lead over England and sent Hampden into rapture. There were goals, trophies and medals aplenty with Celtic as well.

[​IMG]
    Leigh Griffiths' quickfire free-kicks lit up Hampden in a 2-2 draw in 2017

But in the last couple of years there were question marks over his fitness - which sparked a well-publicised falling out with then Celtic manager Neil Lennon - and his career went into decline.

Griffiths, who won seven league titles, three Scottish Cups and four League Cups at Parkhead, is remorseful and in no doubt about his lowest point.

Reports emerged last summer that Celtic and the police were investigating claims he had sent inappropriate online messages to two schoolgirls.

After a full assessment police decided there had been no criminality, but Griffiths admits it was a mistake which led to him leaving Celtic.

"I think that was probably the lowest point for me. I hold my hands up, I regret what I did," he said.

"It went to the right people behind the scenes, from Celtic, the authorities, the law, and I have proved that there was no wrong doing. But for me it is still a massive mistake and a massive regret."

'I can't do anything... I can't go out to the shops'
    After a couple of underwhelming spells at Dundee and Falkirk, the offers in Scotland dried up. It led to an unusual and brief spell with Australian lower league side Mandurah FC.

On a pitch that looked little more than a public park there was evidence of his wonderful ability as Griffiths scored a typically Leigh Griffiths goal.

But there was also an altercation with a fan which went viral. Despite being on the other side of the planet from Scotland, Griffiths claims the abuse he got from the fan was of a sectarian nature.

Nevertheless, he insists he would still be keen on a return down under, saying that "it was the most peaceful three weeks I've had in football".

"Even yesterday, I got abuse when I was training at Livingston. People just standing at the top of the hill wanting to stand and abuse me," he added.

"I can't do anything. I can't go out to the shops. That's the narrative, that's the stigma you have when you're playing with one side of the Old Firm.

"Don't get me wrong, there are plus sides as well. Celtic fans still come up to me and say they miss me, which is always nice to hear. There's always that flip of the coin."

He added: "I've got an 11-year old son who keeps asking me when I'm going to be back playing football again, and it's a difficult one to answer. I just say I'm training as hard as I can and hopefully a club comes calling soon."

You can watch the full interview with Leigh Griffiths on Sunday Sportscene at 19:15 BST on the BBC Scotland channel and iPlayer.