1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Tam Rogic

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Heisenberg, Jan 17, 2013.

Discuss Tam Rogic in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. EddieBhoy1986

Yeah I haven't been impressed with how the Socceroos are handling this situation. First we had Graham Arnold throwing Tom under the bus and revealing he had gone off radar and welfare checks were being done (then backtracking when called out by Ange) Now the assistant manager is getting in on the act. Something tells me Tom doesn't trust them with good reason.

NakamuraTastic and CookieMonster like this.
  2. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Aye all they need to say is he can’t make it due to personal reasons, just creating a media circus.

EddieBhoy1986 and NakamuraTastic like this.
  3. packybhoy Administrator Administrator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    A great talent that is too young to retire. I hope his family and him are doing well.

4. celtic20

They've both been a pain in the * in the past when commenting about Celtic or Rogic tbh. Never liked either of them.

5. EddieBhoy1986

Ron Smith, the man who discovered Tam and nurtured his early career has now been asked to comment on the situation and confirmed that he is also in the dark.

"People only generally retire when they have to, unless it’s something else. It’s obviously a personal thing with him and what that might be you can only speculate about.

“The only person who really knows is Tom. And if he doesn’t want to divulge that to his closest people, it’s obviously something that concerns him greatly."

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/sport.../tom-rogic-retirement-query-answered-24751461

6. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/bigges...c-future-confounds-closest-confidantes-583879

Tom Rogic has emerged as the Scarlet Pimpernel of Australian football, with only a vapour trail left in his wake amid burning questions over where to next for the absentee Socceroo.

Just as the main protagonist in Baroness Orczy’s iconic novel fluttered elusively beyond the reach of pursuers, so the future of the 29-year-old ex-Celtic star shimmers ethereally before our eyes without taking solid shape.

ROGIC LEAVES EVERYONE GUESSING
    • The next step for Socceroo Tom Rogic has even those closest to the star midfielder scratching their heads.
    • Even Rogic's UK agent has been unable to pin the ex-Celtic star down on where to next at the age of 29.
    • Socceroos boss Graham Arnold has also been unable to make contact with Rogic, fuelling the mystery surrounding him.
    Since mysteriously opting out at the last minute from Australia’s World Cup playoffs against UAE and Peru, citing personal reasons, Rogic has kept his own counsel, caught only fleetingly on camera training alone at Sydney’s Rushcutters Bay one day, before being snapped at the airport a week or so later departing back to the UK.

Whether or not Rogic intends to resurface for his country ahead of November-December’s World Cup in Qatar is a confounding conundrum, though on-going radio silence between Rogic and the Socceroos coaching staff doesn’t inspire visions of a joyous reunion between the two parties any time soon.

To add further intrigue to the puzzle, rumours of a move to Indonesia have given way to talk of a surprise re-union with his former Hoops coach Neil Lennon at Cypriot outfit Omonia Nicosia.

Rogic's normally effusive London-based representative Josh Barnett - whose agency Stellar Sports counts Jack Grealish and Gareth Bale among its clients - isn’t responding to queries on what his intentions are.

Barnett brokered Aaron Mooy’s recent move to Celtic, where ironically the midfielder has stepped into a line-up Rogic graced with such gusto last season as one of Ange Postecoglou’s most potent performers.

There are murmurings that Rogic’s financial expectations of future employers are unrealistic, whilst a dual narrative hints at the possibility he might take a leaf from the Mark Viduka playbook and simply decide to quietly exit stage left from the football world without farewell or fanfare.

Some of those who have worked with Rogic down the years have, in moments of candour, pointed to a player possessed of immense natural talent but not necessarily harbouring an unconditional love for a sport he has mastered with minimal sweat or toil.

Supportive of that assessment is Rogic’s apparent ambivalence to pushing the boundaries of his ability by pursuing any of the offers of Premier League football that were dangled, however tentatively, before him.

Nobody in the Socceroos inner sanctum has heard a peep from the playmaker since their qualification for Qatar in June, and even long-time confidants like former Socceroos interim coach Ron Smith, who discovered and nurtured Rogic as a skinny 10-year-old in Canberra, have been left guessing.

“I have no idea what he plans to do next - I’m as puzzled as the next person. It’s probably one of the biggest mysteries in Australian football,” said the man who recommended Rogic to Central Coast Mariners as an 18-year-old.

“He wasn’t in touch when he was back here recently - I wasn’t aware he was even home.”

Asked whether he thought Rogic might be contemplating retirement, Smith mused: “I have no idea on that. Whatever he does I don’t think it will have anything to do with falling out of love with football because I don’t think that happens to anybody.

“People only generally retire when they have to - unless it’s something else. It’s obviously a personal thing with him and what that might be you can only speculate about.

“The only person who really knows is Tom. And if he doesn’t want to divulge that to his closest people, it’s obviously something that concerns him greatly.

“In a football sense he still has a few years ahead of him. Some players do, however, decide to retire because of the toll on the body and the injuries they’ve suffered.

“In Tom’s case, though he has had his injuries down the years, I’m not suggesting at all that's the case. I simply don't know.

“I’ve spoken to others close to him what his intentions might be and none of them know either. It’s something he wants to keep private and we have to respect that.”

Smith countered the suggestion that Rogic had perhaps baulked at embracing the challenge of the Premier League over the course of his career, insisting: “I’m sure if the chance had genuinely been there he’d never had said no. Not for one minute. I think he’d have loved the opportunity.”

Last edited: Aug 13, 2022
  7. trackebhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    ANDY THOM
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Getting to the point I wish people would just leave the guy alone. If there is something wrong he is trying to deal with his own way with his family.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

8. celtic warrior

Can we give him a remote role wherever he wants to live the world.

Call it the big silky smooth sexy aussie deal and we just pay him to send the odd selfie of him smiling in a celtic top

NakamuraTastic and The_Bhoy like this.
  9. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Quite interesting there’s a perception he may not actually like football all that much.

10. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I reckon he could still ping one in the top corner at the Copeland Road end from Antarctica to send the Free Broomloan (or what remains) into raptures.

Work from home (or wherever you are) deal.

Bring him erm... home?

11. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

He did fall * first into professional football to be fair. That being said it was still football he was playing. He wasn’t born that skilful (I think) so he must have put the work in as a youngster, which would suggest he enjoyed the beautiful game growing up.

12. EddieBhoy1986

His brother and a few who worked with him as a youngster said he was always skillful even when very young, so I don't know about not being born with skill. Seem to remember Adam Rogic saying something about Tom just needing to get used to his body because he was already 6ft by the time he was 13/14 but very skinny and lanky.

But he had to fight very hard to get into professional football, harder than most who come up through the youth ranks the uk, so falling into football is in no way an accurate description. It was a battle for him and any kid not really in love with the game would have given up long before Tom got the stage of having to go through the Nike Academy.

13. EddieBhoy1986

Just speculation from people who don't seem to know him very well, it's clear watching him play, his joy when he scored and his joy for his teamates how much he loves the game. Not to mention how emotional he was in his last game.

There were times under Lennon when he seemed to lack motivation, maybe that's what they are speculating on? But lacking motivation does not necessarily mean he doesn't care about the game. It could be a symptom of other things happening in his life which are none of their (or our) buisness.

edit

Could also have something to do with the clown managing him who never showed much faith in him.

14. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

So he was born knowing the Cruyyf turn and could hunt geese with a rake by 14?

Some people get all the luck.

15. EddieBhoy1986

Aye that's not what you were implying and you know it.

16. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

I think you’re confusing me with someone who knows what implying means. Or what day it is.

If you think I’m rippin the * then that’s on you mucker.

17. EddieBhoy1986

:50:

Sean Daleer likes this.
  18. EddieBhoy1986

19. Spring Time Gold Member Gold Member

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  20. EddieBhoy1986

I never said he did but anything he says on the situation is rich considering he was the one who declared open season on speculation. He has changed his tune only since being called out by Ange.

edit

Given we don't know what his personal issues are around why he pulled out of the Australian squad and isn't actively looking for another club, publicly pilling more pressure on him about the world cup is far from helpful or wise.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022