1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic joining a bigger league

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by jake10, Aug 6, 2022.

Discuss Celtic joining a bigger league in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Absolutely do not want to leave the Scottish league. No way. However, it needs to be completely restructured.

Less leagues with bigger numbers is the way forward.

We currently have 6 leagues. With 79 teams.

12 in the Prem
    10 in the championship, league one and two
    18 in the highland league
    19 in the lowland league

I’d rather we had 4 leagues.

14- Premiership
    14- Championship
    18- League One

17/16- Highland/Lowland League.

The problem we have is, no one is going to give up playing us and the huns 4 times. I want to stay in this country but the more we look at how the clubs in the country run, we would be as well looking for something different because it’s never going to change. Clubs like * Peterhead and Stenhousemuir doing absolutely nothing but happy to get there * cash from the leagues every year. All while having a vote on how we restructure our league for the benefit of everyone, most clubs are too selfish .

2. john2061

It's only a matter of time when a European league comes as the big clubs want it but it shouldn't be a closed shop like they wanted .
    With the standard of living hitting every household there will be thousands terminating their skysports package and the * will truly hit the fan .
    Think UEFA will see this and how it's impacting every country and having three European leagues with promotion and relagation will come soon enough.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  3. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I personally feel the league should be regional at 3rd tier not tier 5. It pretty much becomes semi pro at that level anyway

martin_d likes this.
  4. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    The debate has switched more into leagues and set ups but the legal side of the case i.e. the restriction of business in a free European market is a fascinating angle. You could see it winning especially after Bosman. UEFA may even like it??

jake10 likes this.
  5. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I completely agree but getting they sort of clubs to agree to something like that becomes nigh on impossible

6. Noskeil

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willy Maley
    I'd rather try a league reform before even thinking about selling our souls to prove we are a decent team.

Skelleto and martin_d like this.
  7. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    This has been done to death and I’ve long since disliked the idea of trying to join England or some Euro league. I’m with the guys who want Scottish league reform, along with better promotion and marketing of the league.

With the way football is going though (likely European Super League), I have a feeling I’ll eventually lose interest in following the sport.

martin_d, Noskeil and Idioteque like this.
  8. JamesM09

I’m not sure what their plans are to be honest but I would definitely have a regional league of some sort. I think it’s inevitable they move towards that because the disparity between the big leagues of 50m+ populations and the small leagues of < 10m.

I doubt UEFA will do it properly, whatever they’re doing, since their focus is always to divert the money to the rich clubs, which this system wouldn’t do.

9. saltire78

Look, I know it's kinda have your cake, eat it and then have another... But, I'd love if we could have both... Basically a European superleague team playing it's way in all Europe matches and our 'reserves' team in Scotland providing the conveyor belt for home development and supporting Scottish football.

Imagine bolting a little % onto season tickets to support our main team in European competition, and where you get free entry to our development team at home that would be almost entirely built of our own development players, even if it didn't win every trophy every year - or indeed that many at all, but just played good attacking football and focused on producing the best players...

Total selfish pipedream, but it all falls down because I doubt we'd hold onto any of our soul and character if we did, and without that I'd lose my love for the club. I'd rather remain ourselves in a restrictive Scottish setup than sell out for the cash and profile.

Edit: oh! And I doubt our board would go with a 'small %' increase either. They'd boost all costs to the max, driving many of our current support out.

martin_d likes this.
  10. jvalin

I'd love to see a british league system with all clubs from England, Scotland and Wales participating in it. Possibly include Ireland as well. I'd also love to see the league cup been replaced by a british cup. Keep the FA cup, the scottish cup and the welsh cup the way they are.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
  11. jamiebhoy67

Would much rather a league reform with participation in a cross border League cup type thing

NakamuraTastic, Moore and Noskeil like this.
  12. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Just don't see this case changing the landscape any time soon. UEFA and the various national associations won't tolerate it.

Noskeil likes this.
  13. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Our potential as a club will remain unlocked whilst we reside in the Scottish league system ran by old boys club dinosaurs who don’t know how to market our product and drag the game down.

There has to be another solution.

14. richie87 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonny Doyle
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I am of the belief that something needs to change, if it’s a new league system in Scotland or a European League or Move to English League my preference is to have a British Type League I think we would have a better chance to grow as a club and have less interaction with the scum I’m sick of being lumped in with them.

My preference is for England purely selfish though is that I live down here and could get to see Celtic more if they came down to play especially in London.

I don’t see it happening soon and I think that if the case the Luxembourg club are running wins then I can see that super league raising its head again and if the big teams leave to go there I can see the smaller English clubs trying to replace the utd’s and city with us and the scum.

Forestbhoy66 and NakamuraTastic like this.
  15. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    This! 2 bigger Scottish leagues would be perfect! But then there's the whole Sky wanting min 4 Derbies a year!...

16. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    Even though i am a foreign Celtic fan, it would hurt seeing paradise packed with tourists. That would happen unfortunately if we joined another league. I love scottish football even though it is a corrupt * hole. We would no doubt become a far superior side sporting wise, but some stuff in this world just isn't worth it imo.

Noskeil likes this.
  17. Mr. Slippyfist

We owe Scottish football nothing, ABSOLUTELY nothing.

If we had a chance to better ourselves as a club, I’d be all for it.

Leave this neanderthalic masonic old boys club to the rest of the toilet drinkers.

The Phoenix and bagforlife like this.
  18. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Huns wouldn’t want to move as there is no way in * they would be able to manipulate the English FA

martin_d likes this.
  19. Drakhan Nac Mac Feegle Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy McGrory
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    European league would be better

martin_d likes this.
  20. celtic warrior

All the Luxembourg case will likely do if it wins is give rise to other nations that are * poor in terms of size and stature in the game domestically to try and work together.

Like Iceland although out on their own...would probably want to use it as a case study to help maybe get in with Scandinavian leagues.

Estonia maybe then try and get involved Latvian and Lithuanian leagues or something.

Can't see this being used to help bring up an European super league again.