1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ross Barkley

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by P0gue Mah0ne87, Aug 8, 2022.

Discuss Ross Barkley in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. P0gue Mah0ne87

Reported today but seeing as there's not a single thread, I can only assume everyone else has come to see the same conclusion as myself and filed under *.

Big Shoes likes this.
  2. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    I dont think i have ever seen him play even though i know who he is obviously. Surely a player that has been a Chelsea regular and capped by England 40 times must be a good player? Only 28. I thought he was like 56

3. Champions0607

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I heard this yesterday but instantly filed it under *. he will be on north of £120k a week wages/there would be various top 10 premier league clubs interested in him.

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Big Frankfurt Franny breaking the news

5. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Waste of time even discussing it..

Will never happen..

He'd smash it for us though. People are deluding their selves thinking he wouldn't..

Mr Shelby and JML67 like this.
  6. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    More chance of signing Gnarls Barkley

7. Lewis Kerr

Never ever gonna happen, but I'd probably take him.

Seen quite a lot of him in his career and when he first came through at Everton he looked on course to be a great player, some even thought he'd be world class. He literally has all the physical and technical attributes you want from a top footballer - strength, power, a burst of pace, excellent technical ability, good dribbler, shooting ability etc.

He does lack one thing though - a brain. I don't think his decision making has improved beyond what we saw in his breakout season at Everton. That was nearly 10 years ago. Time and time again Barkley makes the wrong pass or wrong decision. He's also had injury problems and very questionable career moves like rotting away at Chelsea for years when he should have been playing week in, week out.

He's kind of the forgotten footballer, once very highly touted - his career has fizzled out into nothingness. Despite his lack of footballing brain his sheer physicality would probably be too much for Scottish teams to handle; he'd * it up here. But nothing * me off more than seeing stupid players make stupid decisions in critical game moments, Barkley is the king of that.

JML67 and Damnati like this.
  8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

To address one of this summer's more farfetched transfer rumours, now, and Football Scotland can confirm that Ross Barkley is not on Celtic's radar.

The Hoops were linked with a sensational loan move for the Chelsea midfielder but those claims are well wide of the mark.

Silly season is upon us, after all.

9. john2061

Put this under pish and loan club pays some of his wages and this guy is earning too much money a week for Celtic to even think about it .

10. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    One of those players loads of people used to rave about and I just never got the hype. Any time I saw him, which admittedly wasn't loads as I had no real interest in watching the teams he played for, I don't remember ever thinking he'd had a good game.

Unless it's a Joe Hart situation where they guy is willing to take a huge wage cut to reignite his career and start enjoying playing again I just can't see it happening anyway. Plenty of mid/low level EPL sides will no doubt be willing to chuck daft money at him based on the fact he's got EPL experience.

Big Shoes likes this.
  11. DdoubleD

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Only game Ive seen him play recently he came of the bench for chelsea and one them the game last season..

We are no chance of getting him, he is a 15m plus player

12. We named the dog Indiana Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    scott brown, boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    celtic song
    Not interested in him apparently anyway.

13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    This actually a serious rumour? I thought my brother was bamming me up:56:

1) We can’t afford him
    2) if we could he’d not be worth the money
    3) if it’s a loan for minimal fee it’ll just stop developing guys like O’Riley that we will be planning to develop for a big fee.
    4) He wouldn’t want to be here
    5) if it happens and he’s POTY ignore points 1 through 4 and telt yees it’s a belter nailed on signing

jake10 and Dublin Celt like this.
  14. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

I had a dream we loaned Loftus Cheek.

Had me thinking about the amount of talent rotting away at Chelsea over the years.

A move like that does make some sense, a player can get their career back on track. But there’s not much point if there’s no option to buy which there obviously wouldn’t be. It’s also not the position we need to be filling temporarily when we’ve got O’Riley and Turnbull.

15. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

Shows how much football has changed over the last 20 years or so. If we had been linked to a player of similar quality from the epl in 2000 I would have fancied our chances of the signing. These days I cannot fathom how it's remotely financially viable. Shame, decent player

16. celtic warrior

Teams like Chelsea and City in EPL have so many players we could loan in.

I know that's not everyone's ideal situation as they also most likely be loans akin to Roberts where, sure they were great for us...but the club just had no intention of ever selling.

Side note...just for the sake of it, Loftus-Cheek would be amazing signing for us...just for argument sakes as a loan option.

17. Cringer67

I raise you Mikey Johnston

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

:fear:

Celtic have submitted an offer for Chelsea playmaker Ross Barkley, sources from the club have told Football Insider.

Ange Postecoglou has given the green light to a shock swoop for the Premier League star as he looks to recruit at least one more player this month

Celtic are keen on signing Barkley, 28, on a season-long loan now he has slipped further down the Chelsea pecking order.

The versatile midfielder has entered the last year of his Chelsea contract and has been told he is free to find a new club.

Celtic are not the favourites to land Barkley as they cannot afford to pay all of the star’s £120,000-a-week wages.

The Glasgow giants have instead offered to pay a significant portion of Barkley’s salary to lure him north of the border.

The midfielder only made 14 total appearances for the Blues last season and was not included in the matchday squad for his side’s 2022-23 opener against former side Everton (6 August).

Barkley looked to have revived his career during the 2020-21 season after joining Aston Villa on loan.

However, after a bright start which included two goals in his first two games for the Villains, Barkley only scored one more goal for the club and missed a significant period of the season with a hamstring injury.

Celtic have already boosted their midfield options this summer with the signing of Aaron Mooy.

Barkley has made 100 appearances for Chelsea, scoring 12 goals and registering 11 assists.

He joined the club from Everton in January 2018.

19. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    Is he a CDM btw? Always thought he was further forward on the field.. If not then we don't need any CAM's

20. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Lotta *

gary88 and Tommy25 like this.