1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Leigh Griffiths

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Vertie Auld, Jan 31, 2014.

Discuss Leigh Griffiths in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Lewis Kerr

Third tier of Oz, * * man

2. Creativecelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current Team:Kyogo; Invincible Team: Brown; Seville Team: Larsson; Burns Team: McNamara
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Various
    could be an opportunity to see a different way of life on the other side of the world, and finally actually grow up.

buchanbhoy and Skelleto like this.
  3. celtic warrior

Why even bother....I mean seriously.

No disrespect....but when you have played to a level that he has over a career...why carry on just retire and stop

4. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    My guess is that he will try to settle and move there permanently after he retire and start over.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  5. Moore Brendan Rodgers OUT Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE + Grace + YNWA
    Aye that's a lifestyle move! Spoke with his pal Cummings

6. DonnyCelt

Jesus, shows no * in Scotland, England or anywhere else would touch him. Should've just retired.

7. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    My guess is that they are probably paying expenses to get him over for a holiday and he plays in it. Maybe he sees this as a shot at getting noticed by an a league team? Who knows

8. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

JOHN BAIRD is ready to add pal Leigh Griffiths to the Scots contingent at Aussie side Mandaruh City,

Former Celtic striker Griff is poised to fly to Australia in the coming days after agreeing a move to the West Australian State League club.

Ex-Raith and Falkirk ace Baird is player-manager at Mandaruh, which is located 45 miles of state capital Perth.

And he's ready to bring in Griffiths alongside former Forfar ace Murray McIntosh and long-serving Scots-born ace Graham Tough.

Baird told SunSport Online: "Leigh is a friend of mine and he's coming over for a holiday and a look round.

"I think he has some family nearby so he's eager to come over and see everyone and have a look at the club.

We only have four games left this season but he's going to come over and see what he thinks of the place.

"I never actually played with Leigh in Scotland but I've played against him many times and he's a friend.

"I know he's been keeping up his fitness back in Scotland while looking for a club and was working hard at Livingston."

Griffiths, 31, had loan spells at Dundee and Falkirk last season after the end of his career at Parkhead.

He was granted training facilities by Livi boss David Martindale last month and earned glowing praise for his work.

Now he's agreed a deal to move Down Under and potentially join Baird at a level beneath the A League.

A club statement read: "Mandurah City Football Club are delighted to announce that former Scotland and Celtic forward Leigh Griffiths will be joining the club.

"The experienced 31 year old striker is a proven goal scorer in the Scottish Premier League and on an International level.

Born in Edinburgh, Griffiths’ senior career commenced at the age of 16 for Livingston FC.

"He then went on to play for Dundee, Wolverhampton Wanderers and Hibernian before signing for Celtic where he made over 200 appearances scoring over 115 goals.

"Throughout Leigh’s career so far, multiple awards have been won which include PFA Scotland Young Player of the Year, Clydesdale Bank Scottish Premier League Player of the Year and Scottish Football Writers Player of the Year.

"Leigh represented Scotland at an under-19 and under-21 level and was part of the squad that reached the 2011 UEFA Under-21 Championship play-
    offs, narrowly losing out to Iceland.

With his undoubtable talent Leigh went on to make 22 appearances for his country, scoring 4 goals including the 2 well known free kicks against England in 2017.

"Mandurah Head Coach John Baird is thrilled to have completed the services of the Scotsman for the remainder of the year.

"Leigh is undoubtedly one of the biggest signings in not only Mandurah’s history, but one of the biggest in Australian NPL & State League football history."

Mandurah City President Nigel Mann. “It sums up where the club is currently at and the hard work we have put in over the years.”

The club added: "Leigh will play the last 2 home games of the season in the famous Black & White. Welcome to Mandurah Leigh."

9. aussiehoops

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    Poor bloke will get paid $500AUD per game in the middle of the desert.

10. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Probably not even getting paid. Free publicity for both

11. StevieBhoooy!

Tragic the way his career has plummeted…

He should/could be at his peak right now in terms of experience and still be banging in goals at high level.

Amazing how attitude and silly decisions off the field can so greatly influence that path…

If the likes of Falkirk and Forfar decided “nah” and he has to go to the back of ‘the back of nowhere’ to play a couple of games …

…. it’s hard to see a way back before it’s (if not already) too late.

12. DdoubleD

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    He would be coming to find an a league club before the season starts.. Id say this is just to keep him fit. He is still good enough to score double figures in the a league, doubt he will struggle to find a club. I guarantee he signs for an a league club before the season starts which begins in October

13. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    Perth is supposed to be pretty nice. Got a few Aussie mates who say it's a great city so why not!

14. Dalbeth3

Fav Celtic Player:
    to many greats to be able to pick one
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic symphony
    Get in there Leigh,,, show the fukers how wrong they are.....you have 9 years left ,,,, make them fukin count.

15. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    Good luck to him, he has to grow up sometime.

16. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Found his level.

Westlondonscot likes this.
  17. brisbaneceltic

I'd say he would struggle to find a club as things stand.

His issues is that he would count as a visa player (you can only have 5) that makes it more diffcult for someone like griffiths to be picked up then say an australian whose career has also plummeted. If my club signed a visa player from the scottish league 1 then yeah id be majorly *.

The club he would most likely go to in perth glory to make sense of this move has already got a new foreign striker and have filled their visa quota. I can't think of another club that is in need of a striker that hasnt already dealt with that in pre-season. Western utd's striker wants to leave but he isnt getting signed by the champions.

Th east coast states barely pay attention to their own state leagues let alone WA 2nd division.

18. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    By this point, think he’s lucky to get that level.

Which is a * poor reflection on the disrespectful wee *, cos at the age he is at, it * shouldn’t be that and that’s down to nobody but him.

bagforlife likes this.
  19. AussieGreek

When I was suggesting Australia, I didn't mean the semi-professional (and maybe even some * clubs) 2nd division of Western Australia (third tier Australia) :fear::fear::fear:

20. VT8

Probably looking to retire already, wouldn't be surprised if some A-League team picked him up afterwards.