1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Colts

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Idioteque, Jun 10, 2017.

Discuss Celtic Colts in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I really hope Kenny pushes on, think heM’s another I’d rather gets a loan now.

2. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

A few players need a loan

Better experience against better players

3. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Aye, a lot of them’s had what they need out of that level, there should be others stepping up to take the place in the colts and the ones that were standouts over the course of the season should be loaned.

4. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Loans to the championship and lower spl teams

5. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

6. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    See, I'm at a mix on whether we should be loaning out, if we are trying to bed the same system across levels then it makes sense to keep them here in the colts team to learn that for a better transition to the first team. The results so far show that they are not above the level or we would be romping it. There's the argument that the style/quality of the opposition is impactful but I'd not give too much weight to that, they should be able to overcome that.

The other is that they would develop more individually away from the colts which I can see more weight too, but too often we get players away and then they don't get much out of it and then never end up anywhere.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  7. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Certain players in the team look like they’ve learned what they can from that level, and need a step up to keep progressing though. If they keep together at that level for 2/3 years they might end up dominating, but not stepping up to challenge themselves personally at a higher level.

8. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I get what you're saying and don't disagree, I'm not saying we should have them dominating and I know some players look a standout but last season we were not playing the same system as the first team or at least not as well planned too, this season we are so I can see the benefit there.

I would not be arguing if players did get loaned out but I can see the benefit to both. I'd also like to think our coaching etc is of a higher quality than a Scottish championship or efl1 team and that's a factor as well as just playing games.

9. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Coaching might be the times they get up to train with the first team, but consistent competitive games are better than anything you can offer in training. You need to loan them to teams and managers you think suits the style they have, and will be an advantage to us what they’ve learned when they come back to us though, that’s very important.

McGregor at Notts County is the best example of that for me.

10. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    A fair one as well there, I don't deny it, if we can get a good high level loan it's a good one, I wouldn't go below Scottish championship as I don't think there's enough of a quality gap between the lowland league and Scottish league 1 just now.

Aye, we have 3 standout loan stories in recent years this evening McGregor, Christie and Ajer, you could make an argument that Hjelde as well was but we never got to see the fruits of that. But those are all going back a while now (bar Hjelde) Robertson looked like he was close but I don't see it now and he'll be away, McInroy again looked it then got injured then was just spfl1 loans and now away. Welsh was an odd one, never did too much on loan got the surprising recall and into the team then has played in well since then (that's why I didn't mention him sommcuh above but I would not argue that loans did him well) Ralston as well, loans did not show him well and we all thought he was for the bin until last year.

I do hope we get a steady stream of youth breaking through because it is an important avenue to us so should be a core function for a club like ours, I would hope in the next 2/3 years we get at least a few properly breaking in and a talent pipeline better established

The_Bhoy likes this.
  11. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

SPFL Trust Trophy
    Reigart Stadium, Coatbridge
    Tuesday, August 9, 2022

ALBION ROVERS… 2
    (Fagan 1, Corr og 26)

CELTIC… 3
    (Vata 32, Lawal 39, Moffat 50)

The Celtic B team produced a superb performance to beat League Two side, Albion Rovers in the first round of the SPFL Trust Trophy.

The Hoops came back from 2-0 down to win 3-2, and the margin of victory could have been even higher, given Celtic’s dominance in the second-half.

The young Celtic side actually got off to the worst possible start against their League Two opponents when Albion Rovers captain, Sean Fagan, slotted the ball home inside the first minute.

And the home side came close minutes later, but a free-kick from the edge of the area was put over the bar.

However, the Hoops slowly began to work their way into the game, and Owen Moffat found Johnny Kenny in a dangerous area inside the box, but his effort was saved by the Rovers keeper.

And Celtic’s Irish striker had another chance soon after that after being set up by Rocco Vata, but this time the home defence blocked his shot.

Vata was causing the League two side problems on the flank, and he had a chance in the 21st minute following good play from Moffat but, again, goalkeeper Chris Smith dealt well with the effort.

And just five minutes later, the home side doubled their lead. Amaury Testa delivered a cross into the Celtic box which was unfortunately turned into his own net.

The young Hoops refused to let that second goal unsettle them, and Vata reduced the deficit on 32 minutes when he produced a good finish.

Tobi Oluyawemi saved well from a Charlie Reilly shot two minutes later, while Albion Rovers had another effort soon after that went wide of the post.

But on 39 minutes, it was 2-2 when Bosun Lawal converted a Moffat corner.

And that comeback drove Celtic on after the break, with Moffat smashing the ball home on 50 minutes after good play from Matthew Anderson, the Celtic captain cutting the ball back for the winger to score.

The Hoops were playing with confidence and Lawal had a shot from just outside the area which was saved by the Rovers keeper, while Johnny Kenny made a strong run down the left-hand side but his strike was also well-saved.

On 71 minutes, Celtic had another great chance as Moffat's long-range effort flew just over the crossbar.

The home side had been on the back foot for much of the half but they pushed forward in the last 10 minutes. However, Oluwayemi dealt well with anything that came into his area and the Hoops saw out the match for an impressive and well-deserved 3-2 victory over their League Two opponents.

The victory sets up a home tie against Livingston B in the next round of the SPFL Trust Trophy while, before then, there is a Lowland League game away to Gretna this Saturday.

ALBION ROVERS: Smith, Fernie, Malcolm, McColl, Fagan, Leslie, Wilson, Duncan, Testa, Wright, Reilly.
    Subs: Dolan, McGrath, Greenwood, Leighfield, Devine, Taylor

CELTIC: Oluwayemi, Murphy, Corr, Lawal, Anderson, Otoo, Letsosa, Summers (Davidson 68), Vata (Thomson 90+1), Moffat (Carse 74), Kenny.
    Subs: Luyeye, Morrison, Mackenzie, Quinn, Kelly, Agbaire

Noskeil and tarboltontim like this.
  12. Turnbulls right peg

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over and over
    I think the core of the squad should hang about this season with having the champions league and being involved in the uefa youth league also this other tournament against Blackburn etc it should be a really good learning curve for a few of them and I'd rather they stayed and got the benefit of the new set up at Lennoxtown and anyone who stands out this season can hope for 1st team involvement next year or push for a loan

13. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The higher quality players definitely not below Scottish Championship levels, other players we don’t think will make it I’m fine with that, because we want to build them up for decent League 1/lower championship in England players and let them go with a sell on fee.

We need to make sure even if it’s not first team for us, we’re making it profitable.

Is Robertson here still or on loan again? I hoped to see him in pre-season because I really like him.

14. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

15. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    We still need the colts team to be competitive we can farm too many out, that would reduce the benefits to the colts team training and playing together, they will get plenty setup from that to transition to other teams, we really don't profit from them going to teams below the spl because there's no fees paid there really. Youth tend to be released and picked up rather than go with sell on clauses

Robertson is still here, him and shaw are in limbo given they can't play for the colts in the league and aren't making the first team. I was hopeful for him but sadly I think he's just not going to get it.

16. HatsmyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    Robertson hasn't played for the first team and Shaw only once.
    So why can't they play for the Colts? Is it because they've been unused subs in the first team squad ?

17. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    They're too old, 20 is the upper age limit for the colts I believe. The Glasgow cup etc can have older but the lowland league is purely youth

18. HatsmyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    Thanks mate. Didn't realise about the age cap thought it was just based on first team exposure

Can'tbehooped likes this.
  19. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

20. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Next week’s Celtic FC B Premier League International Cup fixture against Blackburn Rovers has been moved to a new date at the Premier League’s request.

The opening group game was due to be played on Wednesday August 17th, but will now take place at Ewood Park on Tuesday December 20th, kick-off 7pm.

Celtic have been placed with Rovers in Group A along with VfL Wolfsburg, FC Porto and Valencia, as well as Premier League clubs Fulham, Leicester City and Wolverhampton Wanderers.

Tickets already purchased for the Blackburn game will still be valid for the rearranged date. Supporters who are unable to attend the new date will be entitled to a full refund.